PDA

View Full Version : System Tray icons missing in XP SP3

samnorr
07-01-2009, 01:33 AM
The other day I was in My Computer trying to solve a CD drive problem, when the window stopped responding. I closed it with the Task Manager, which also seemed to shut down and restart explorer.exe, as the entire task bar disappeared and then came back. Unfortunately, after it came back about a third of my taskbar icons (including Avast and ATI Catalyst Control Center) had vanished.

The problem is, I have not been able to get those icons back since. I have restarted many times and tried lots of different fixes from the internet, all to no avail. The only exception was when I performed a system restore, which brought them all back to normal, but only for the same icons to one again disappear the next time I restarted. I have since tried to use System Restore again, but strangely, now I just get a "Your computer cannot be restored" message.

I don't know if it's related, but shortly before the problem occurred, I installed Nero software. This is now uninstalled, with no affect on the problem.

Please note that the icons were displaying fine until I had the lock-up mentioned above. I would very much appreciate any help. :)

Vince
07-01-2009, 03:46 AM
Have you scanned for malware? Are the missing icons for antivirus, firewall Spybot S&D or similar? An infection can cause these symptoms.

You need to disable System restore and restart, to clean it out as well.

wainuitech
07-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Sometimes they need a bit of prompting - first try this --

right-click the Taskbar
select Properties
clear the check box Hide inactive icons (bottom left) - may pay to reboot.

Edited: While in the settings above, click on customize and locate the icon, make sure it has not been set to Always Hide.

If that doesn't work try working though These possible fixes (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/01/04/system-tray-icon-missing-from-system-tray-in-windows-xp/)

The other option you can try is use system restore to wind the system back to before the crash.