PDA

View Full Version : Side case fan

jwil1
06-01-2009, 08:20 PM
I am about to buy a replacement CPU cooler (http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=5050) (instead of the stock one) and am wondering whether I should also get a side case fan?

Would this kill the case airflow? I have front and rear 120mm fans running at 1700RPM (intake) and 1000RPM (exhaust).

Should the side one be an intake or an exhaust?

TIA :)

memphis
06-01-2009, 09:00 PM
1.It will be good as it will provide direct cool air to the cpu or and graphics card,the rear fan and power supply will be the exhaust fans.

2.Side fan intake to blow cool air onto cpu/graphics card.

With my case I have 2 at the front intake,2 on the side intake,2 on the top exhaust,1 at the rear exhaust and the psu as exhaust as well.

All my fans are 120mm and are controlled by a fan controller so I can run them all nice and quiet and have heaps of cool air which is really good when its a hot day.

tweak'e
06-01-2009, 09:12 PM
what fan is in the PSU?

the problem you can get with side fans is if the intake fan is to strong the side fan won't do anything as its competing with the front fan. you either have to get a powerfull side fan or a lesser front fan.

also is some case the side fan can suck in the hot air the rear exhaust fans just blew out.

memphis
06-01-2009, 09:53 PM
My psu has one 140mm fan.

I have never had any air flow or heat worries with my CM690 case with 7 x 120mm case fan's.

I have a fan controller so I can control the speed of my fan's which I have on low as I have so many fan's I can and still have heaps of cool air coming in and the hot air exhausting.

As for your last comment:
Quote:tweak'e:also is some case the side fan can suck in the hot air the rear exhaust fans just blew out.

Please explain?
Because that does not happen with my case.

tweak'e
06-01-2009, 10:32 PM
if you have the case push back close to a wall and especially if its in a desk, the side fans suck in air from the top, front and back. as the side fan is close to the back it can suck a fair bit of air from the rear. now that air can be hot exhaust air, especially if there is a wall behind the pc to deflect the air.
worse culprit can be a pc in a desk that is up against a wall.

with 7x 120mm fans its a wonder you don't get layering which causes hot spots. mind you in that situation side fans can be very handy as they act as stirrers, they upset the air flow so it moves around the case instead of the cold air just blowing straight in and out of the case without doing anything.

memphis
07-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Haha yeah,doing that is what noobs do and then wonder why they have probs.:lol:

I have my case sitting side on and on top of a lowboy with the side case fans facing out collecting the cool air with the other side of the case that has no fans about a foot away from my wall next to my desk.:D

With my fans the front bottom 120mm fan blows cool air into my case cooling my harddrives,then I have a 120mm fan at the top at the front of the case that brings cool air in and it flows straight in directly lined up to my cpu and cools that and between both the top and bottom 120mm fans are my 2 dvdrw's.On the side panel I have 1 x 120mm fan blowing cool air directly onto the cpu,and the other 1 x 120mm fan blowing cool air directly on my graphics card,1 x 120mm rear fan exhausing the hot air,140mm psu fan exhausing hot air as well and then I also have 2 x 120mm fans at the top of my case pulling out and exhausting any hot air there as well so yeah you dont have to wonder about layering as every component is getting air blown onto it and then with 3 x 120mm fan's and 140mm psu fan exhausing any hot air,well its a pretty cool case with no were for any layering to take place or stay and also my graphics card exhaust's it's hot air outside of the case as well so no layering going on there!!!;):thumbs:

But yeah other people may have heat prob's. but I dont.:lol:

Alex06
12-03-2009, 07:57 PM
By using a high quality CPU case fan, you will ensure that the computer operates at its best state therefore making its processing faster. Keeping the temperature of the computer casing low while the machine runs also ensures that there is no overheating which can easily destroy your computer...:)

Terry Porritt
12-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Over the last year or so I have become a 'fan' of putting in a vent tube in the case side pointing directly at, and just short of the CPU fan.

The CPU is then drawing mainly outside air onto the heatsink.

qazwsxokmijn
12-03-2009, 08:55 PM
You have to remember that as physics law dictates, that air will move from high concentration to low concentration. The problem with cases are that the front aren't well ventilated while the back are, thus when the case needs to suck in air it will suck the air from the back, which means it will circulate some of the hot air that is being continually expelled.

And remember that filters hamper airflow. I would say yes, I would install a side case fan if I were you. That's what I did with my Tsunami case I used to have.

(I have a 12cm SilenX blue LED 1500RPM if you're interested!) :p