PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu SLOW?!?

ZapperBoy10647
04-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Hi this is joe aka zapperboy and im currently using ubuntu as a live install or w/e and its way slower than windows? is this because its coming from the cd or what? can someone help me out. ill be checking this post every few minutes im just testing ubuntu now...
thanks joe

Netsukeninja
04-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Slower in what way? If its loading/bootup then I would say its the CD. I have minimal experience with live CDs except for virtualisation, sorry.

Chilling_Silence
04-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Yeah basically coz its loading off CD its gonna be slower
Not only is everything compressed on the Disc, but its not specifically in sequential order either ...

Basically, do an install and the speed issues will be gone :)

The LiveCD isnt for everyday use, more so you can get a little bit of a feel for it, see if it might suit you, make sure your hardware is supported, then to help you with a full install.

If you want a faster Live distro, try putting Ubuntu on a Thumbdrive :D

ZapperBoy10647
04-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Ok i restarted lol i want to play wow. ubuntu need alot of downloads if i ever install cuz it doesnt play mp3's or online videos etc

Speedy Gonzales
05-01-2009, 04:04 AM
It should if you install the programs for MP3 and video

dlane
05-01-2009, 06:53 AM
When it wants to do downloads after install, it's primarily to bring it up to speed with any updates made to the 20k+ packages that make up Ubuntu since the CD ISO was made. Linux development moves at a very snappy pace.

gary67
05-01-2009, 07:39 AM
Try Puppy or Damn small Linux they load from the CD also but being so small run entirely from the RAM on your pc so run soo much faster

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Basically it needs to download the Codecs in order to play back MP3's / h.264 videos etc

Ubuntu doesnt ship with them pre-installed due to legal reasons

If you have it installed its just a once-off process that you never need to worry about again :)

ZapperBoy10647
05-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Ok fair enuf. it downloaded some updates and all i had to do was install but i didnt want to screw around with my xp @ the same time..... so basicaly install within windows and create its own partition?..... will it do this automaticaly or will i have to get software? if so what software?

Term_X
05-01-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm probably the #1 Linux Noob and i installed it successfully on my Toshiba Tecra M5 Laptop.

Installed as a dual boot with XP. Install VLC player for Linux and youll play pretty much all the media you usually play in Windows. Theres a software manager built in which you can use to install programs from either within Ubuntu or it will download them for you.

Wireless networking worked immediately for me and it was easy to set up my network so i could access all my media on the laptop.

I like the look and feel of Ubuntu, nice that it has Firefox built in. Installed a standalone flash package so can watch all flash video sites fine. Still getting used to it but it's a nice alternative. It does require a lot of reading up on (well for me anyway).

I do all my workhorse stuff (eg audio/video editing ) in XP and do most of my surfing, youtubing in Ubuntu.

Hope it works for you :)

Cheers

Term X.

Agent_24
05-01-2009, 01:32 PM
You can use the Wubi installer if you don't want to repartition your hard drive.

That will create an image file on your drive that Ubuntu is then installed to.

The only real problem is of performance, if that image file gets fragmented. But as long as you defragment regularly, you'll be fine

Jen
05-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Ok fair enuf. it downloaded some updates and all i had to do was install but i didnt want to screw around with my xp @ the same time..... so basicaly install within windows and create its own partition?..... will it do this automaticaly or will i have to get software? if so what software?If you use the option to install as an image file under Windows, then all you do is select how much hard drive space to give Ubuntu (no less than 5 gigs).

While Windows is running, insert the Ubuntu CD. If you have auto-run turned on, then run umenu.exe or browse the CD and double click that file. Then choose "Install inside Windows" and follow your nose.

This method uses the Wubi installer, a method I strongly recommend you try first. You do not need to partition your drive. Ubuntu is removed by simply uninstalling via Add/Remove programs.

Note, this method of installing Linux inside Windows is not given by most other distros, so this is not standard. I mention this because you are new to Linux and may think this is how it is normally done. I think this method is a great idea for Linux newbies (or non-newbies, as I have used it myself under Vista :p). If you decide that Linux is worth more time, then you can dedicate a spare partition or drive to Linux and install the same or a different distro.

Have fun!

dlane
06-01-2009, 07:49 AM
It's worth mentioning for those who are testing Ubuntu (or another Linux with WUBI) for performance, that the WUBI installation, where it stores the Linux filesystem inside a file on the Windows filesystem, does not perform as well as a set of native Linux partitions.

Note that Ubuntu (and other Linux distros) support GParted and QParted, to very nice little programs that help you painlessly resize your Windows partition to make space for the Linux install. Also note that, by default, Linux uses at least 2 partitions, not the normal 1 partition that Windows uses. It always creates a "Swap" partition, usually about twice the size of your system RAM. This offers better swap performance (if it's ever required) than a swap file the way that Windows tends to do things.

I highly recommend that you install Linux - I first did it in 1994, and haven't used Windows since (although I run a company that supports Windows and Linux). With the advent of the Ubuntu distribution, Linux is really ready for the mainstream.