PDA

View Full Version : My First Rebuild

zanzabar
31-12-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm Rebuilding a computer from the ground up with all the original parts that were in it... Well..... The first problem I have is that I've never re-installed a power source before. So i have NO idea what wires go where.. So i hopped online and found a guide and kind of threw it together ... well now I plug it in and flip on the Power Supply Unit and the fan starts up for about half a second and the lights flicker on and then it shuts back off..

The first time i turned it on, however, the fans all turned on and stayed on and the lights on the front panel stayed lit up.

I'm running an Intel D915GEG Mobo and a Smart Power SL300S PSU.

The computer worked before it was taken apart. And from my investigation the only thing i see missing is the jumper for BIOS recovery... It's gone. But would that cause all these problems?

zanzabar
31-12-2008, 07:57 AM
By the way, My PSU has a 20 pin connector and i did have the alternate 1x4 connector connected. So pretty much everything should be getting power.

stormdragon
31-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Welcome to PressF1

Yes the missing jumper could be causing problems.

Why did you pull it all apart in the first place?

Are you sure that's the correct motherboard model google reveals nothing.

zanzabar
31-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the welcome!
Well i replaced the jumper and tried starting it up again. Kept flopping on me, so i switched out the PSU and that was about 60% of the problem. Got it to start this time. Powered up and the lights came on but still no video. I have a feeling the BIOS may be gone, But i've never fixed that before.

The computer came from someone else and i havent the foggiest why she tore it apart. Down to the mobo too!
Sorry it's an Intel D915GAG.

When i started it up last it powered up but i got no video. I did hear the HDD cranking though. Any ideas?

beama
31-12-2008, 08:52 AM
does it give a p.o.s.t screen
are there power lights on the screen
does it use on board video or addin card
have you tried a known going monitor

stormdragon
31-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Is there an internal speaker attached to the mobo if so do you get any beeps when attempting to start the system?

pctek
31-12-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm Rebuilding a computer from the ground up with all the original parts that were in it... Well..... The first problem I have is that I've never re-installed a power source before.

The computer worked before it was taken apart.

:lol:
Why did you? Just for practice? Rule 1: Don't fix it unless its broken.

As for the power supply etc, you should have made a note of how everything was connected before hand. Especially the little connectors from the front of the case to the motherboard.

PSU
The largest connector is power to the MB of course. Rather hard to jam it in incorrectly these days.
Then, you may also need a 4 pin connector to another part of the motherboard - usually near the CPU. Its for the CPU. If this is not on the motherboard - then you don't need it. Check to see if it is.

Then the rest is just plugs to connect to your drives - optical, Hard drive etc.
There may or may not be a 6pin connector to a graphics card also.

gary67
31-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Download the manual from here (http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-012048.htm) should help you out :badpc:

beama
31-12-2008, 11:28 AM
:lol:
Why did you? Just for practice? Rule 1: Don't fix it unless its broken.

As for the power supply etc, you should have made a note of how everything was connected before hand. Especially the little connectors from the front of the case to the motherboard.

PSU
The largest connector is power to the MB of course. Rather hard to jam it in incorrectly these days.
Then, you may also need a 4 pin connector to another part of the motherboard - usually near the CPU. Its for the CPU. If this is not on the motherboard - then you don't need it. Check to see if it is.

Then the rest is just plugs to connect to your drives - optical, Hard drive etc.
There may or may not be a 6pin connector to a graphics card also.
he didnt some else did