PDA

View Full Version : where can i buy and how much is a "Highly directional grid antenna"

morrison93
31-12-2008, 01:46 AM
Ummm yea, I'm just wondering where i can buy and how much a "Highly directional grid antenna" is if thats what they are called!!

I am needing this as I need to link a computer to our wireless network, but this computer needs to be situated on a hill in a cabinet, the hill is around 3 km away , i have excellent line of site of the intended location of the cabinet and other equipment.

just next to the intended location is a VHF repeater, I'm not sure if this will interfere with the WIFI radio waves.

:thanks !!!

CYaBro
31-12-2008, 06:16 AM
http://gowifi.co.nz/

morrison93
31-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Umm thanks now that question has been answered...

Which directional aerial will best suite my needs?
As I don't really want to pay hundreds of dollars on equipment as none of us do, I'm not to sure if I'm going to need and amplifier before the aerial and stuff like that.

Thanks again.

Rob99
31-12-2008, 09:54 AM
I would make my own
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

morrison93
31-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Umm, ok
But im not sure it would work the distance i need it to, would it?

morrison93
31-12-2008, 07:20 PM
I made a very bad estimate, the distance the cabinet is from the other aerial is 1.8Km

michael_elliston
31-12-2008, 08:49 PM
You can make a simple calculation of input ,minus attenuation(due to distance) gives you X dbM at the receiver to see if theres any chance of something happening!

People seem to be getting decent results over that distance. Id simply read up more on it. Do some googling.

Or, get two of the highest gain antennas you can afford and see what happens.

I remember reading a free ebook on it, it included a ~240km wifi link that used ~2.4metre dishes at each end. Ofcourse I cant remember the name of it.

Also,some people have been using WOKs.No joke.

Rob99
01-01-2009, 11:08 AM
I made a very bad estimate, the distance the cabinet is from the other aerial is 1.8KmNo problems at all over that distance.
It will only cost $20 or so to test it out with a tin can, if it works you can then make one out of some aluminum tube.

tweak'e
01-01-2009, 12:16 PM

just next to the intended location is a VHF repeater, I'm not sure if this will interfere with the WIFI radio waves......

commercial VHF repeater or home built?

you may get inference from it or you may interfere with it. depends a lot on signal strengths and if outside frequency's are filtered out.