PDA

View Full Version : Weird and random squeaking noise coming from PC

qazwsxokmijn
30-12-2008, 11:50 PM
I've just transferred my setup into my new Antec 1200 case today. Ever since I turned it on the computer (note, the the box itself, not the speaker/monitor) emits a weird squeaking funny noise. It's hard to describe....imagine a mouse on P squeaking. It's not very loud, but it happens randomly and lasts anywhere between 5-30 seconds. Sometimes it's less audible but the 'frequency' of the sound is always the same.

I've checked all the fans in the case - all 12 0f them, and stopped them one by one. None were the culprit. It doesn't sound like a dying fan anyway.

Any ideas?

cullnean
31-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Is your HDD's fully secured?

may be due to the disc's moving within the case when operating at full whack

qazwsxokmijn
31-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Is your HDD's fully secured?

may be due to the disc's moving within the case when operating at full whack
Doesn't sound like an HDD-related noise either. Sort of like a door squeak at a much higher frequency repeated over and over again quickly.

Hard to explain :(

Jen
31-12-2008, 05:47 AM
Is the PSU new as well? Listen carefully and see if the noise is coming from that.

A good trick to help isolate the source of noise is to make a paper funnel out of 2-3 layers of A4 and use that as an listening focusing device. Helps block out the general noise and you can put it right against the suspect areas to see if the squeak sounds louder there.

sam m
31-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Is it possible movement in the case at point where case joints are riveted.

wainuitech
31-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Is it possible movement in the case at point where case joints are riveted. Its possible - if the case has 12 Fans - thats a LOT of torque going through the case, with the PC off give the case a very slight twist listen to hear any noise.

Another way to test that is to disconnect ALL the fans apart from the "Must have" EG: CPU and graphic Card - turn it on and see if its still doing it.

qazwsxokmijn
31-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Its possible - if the case has 12 Fans - thats a LOT of torque going through the case, with the PC off give the case a very slight twist listen to hear any noise.
I certainly would have never guessed that....never passed my physics tests back at high school. :p

Another way to test that is to disconnect ALL the fans apart from the "Must have" EG: CPU and graphic Card - turn it on and see if its still doing it.
Bleh, screw that. I've managed ALL the cables to be at the other side of the motherboard tray, but it's like a friggin jungle over there.

wainuitech
31-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Bleh, screw that. I've managed ALL the cables to be at the other side of the motherboard tray, but it's like a friggin jungle over there. That "maybe" the location of the Squeak - if you have a connector, rubbing against a metal part of the case - with the PC running it may be something touching in the wrong place and causing the noise.

Its trial and error - but as Jen mentioned with the Cone - locate the noise, if it wasn't there in the old case, then you have to look at whats changed, and eliminate the changes 1 item at a time.

Only a guess, you hold a Fan in your hand with the PC on, and feel the torque - x that by 12 ??? and it doesn't take to much to cause something out of place to "play up" - Or could even be a lose rivet someplace.

qazwsxokmijn
31-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Is the PSU new as well? Listen carefully and see if the noise is coming from that.

A good trick to help isolate the source of noise is to make a paper funnel out of 2-3 layers of A4 and use that as an listening focusing device. Helps block out the general noise and you can put it right against the suspect areas to see if the squeak sounds louder there.
Just tried that. Like a doctor who doesn't know how to use a stethoscope, I tried to source the noise when it came, and I simply cannot tell where it's from.

Only a guess, you hold a Fan in your hand with the PC on, and feel the torque - x that by 12 ??? and it doesn't take to much to cause something out of place to "play up" - Or could even be a lose rivet someplace.
Taking into account that 12 is ALL the fans in the case, including 2 of the essential ones (CPU & GPU). I guess your theory is possible?

Ah well, I think it's starting to get less and less frequent. I don't want to change cases, as with the Antec 1200 the temp inside the case never gets above 1-2 degrees of the outside temperature.

wainuitech
31-12-2008, 12:35 PM
If its getting less and less, that means one of two things - either its "settling in" and sooner or later it will stop making noise :thumbs: OR it will stop making noise and something will have blown up :D:p I suspect it will be the first one.

Out of interest - next time it does it, put a bit of pressure on the area of the case side that the connections are behind the tray - see if it stops it - If it doesn't, try the same thing on the corners of the case 1 at a time - may pin point the problem if its the case.

A squeaking noise can only be made by two or more parts rubbing together or spinning , and you said the fans are OK - its a matter of finding the two parts :mad:

Netsukeninja
31-12-2008, 03:56 PM
When I got my new graphics card it squeaked for a couple of days, but it eventually stopped. My guess: the fans

qazwsxokmijn
31-12-2008, 04:01 PM
When I got my new graphics card it squeaked for a couple of days, but it eventually stopped. My guess: the fans
Nah, definitely NOT a fan. Stopped all 12 one by one and the noise didn't stop. Now I've just sellotaped all lose cable headers etc and put some rubber stuff where possible. I think that did the trick. I think WT's prediction was right.

wainuitech
31-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Nah, definitely NOT a fan. Stopped all 12 one by one and the noise didn't stop. Now I've just sellotaped all lose cable headers etc and put some rubber stuff where possible. I think that did the trick. I think WT's was right. Cool - :thumbs:

Right - my next prediction :stare: I'm gonna win Lotto on Saturday :clap

gary67
31-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm not sharing though

qazwsxokmijn
31-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Right - my next prediction :stare: I'm gonna win Lotto on Saturday :clap
No you ain't. I'm winning this one. You stay away! :D

gary67
31-12-2008, 05:30 PM
It's mine all mine, my precious :p