PDA

View Full Version : Defragging preparations?

06-06-2001, 10:41 PM
I have made several attempts to defrag my c drive over the last 9 months, none of have succeeded. I can leave my PC running all night and it never weems to get beyond about 70% completed.
I read somewhere that I need to switch off all almost all other applications with - Ctrl-Alt-Del, except for one or two.
Which ones should I leave running?
Is there likely to be any other reason for it taking so long/not being possible to defrag my drive?

06-06-2001, 11:18 PM
check out the posts down the page a bit.
breif options-
1, close everything except explorer and swtray, then defrag.
2, boot into safe mode and run defrag from there.
3, buy a third party defrag such as nortons speed disk which is faster and easier than windows defrag.

08-06-2001, 12:43 AM
Right-click on your Desktop,
Click Properties,
Set Background and Screen Saver to 'none'.

Disable AntiVirus S/W if running.

Before performing Defrag, run ScanDisk first:
Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>ScanDisk.

Select 'Automatically fix errors' check box and hit the Start button. After finish click Close and then you are ready to run Defrag.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tony

08-06-2001, 10:44 AM
click on start ,select run , type in msconfig click ok then click on general tab click selective startup and remove all ticks click apply then ok you then will have to restart your computer it will start up in a very basic form run your defrag programme then go back to run and click on the normal startup option reboot and all will be as before with a completed defrag