PDA

View Full Version : o video on a brand new built computer

MBassist
28-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi everyone here are specs

MSI P7N SLI-FI

EVGA GTX280

Raidmax Sagita case (which by the way the door just fell off after a day)

Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

q8200 intel quad core

Coolmax CUG-950B 950w power supply

2 SATA Hard drives at 1 TB and 250GB

Everything is getting power, fans are spinning red light on mobo is on, as well as green light on the video card

my friend built it for me and he is very stumped as am I, its his 5th build or so and he still cant figure it out

all fans getting power, CPU is running, hard drives spinning, CD drives working.

Things we have done/tried:

I was also getting no video (no onboard or PCI-E ) from an old motheroard I returned to frys, it was an ECS G31T or something like that, the sata pins fell out from bad saudering and I just chalked it up to a faulty MB

We have returned and gotten a new CPU (the old one wasnt running)

we have tried 3 video cards, in all three ports, nothing.

reset CMOS several times.

I borrowed my friends ram and nothing (funny enough we plugged the ballitix ram into his computer, and it wouldn't boot, so the ram was also bad)

We have tried running at minimal components and nothing.

we are just getting no video and the computers power button does not need to be held down to be shut off if that matters, its just like on/off

we have no idea what to do, we are going to try his power supply and the new ram in the MB tomorrow or monday

im thinking if its not the power supply, I just got ANOTHER bad MB?

am I just having really bad luck with parts or does anyone have any other ideas?

if I can provide any more info please let me know

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Did someone plug the ATX 12v adapter in?

MBassist
29-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Hi, thank for the speedy reply

I am actually not sure since it is my friend building it, but I will check first thing tomorrow, but thank you for the possible solution :)

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2008, 12:14 AM
No probs

Thats ONE of the reasons why a system wont go. If this isnt plugged in. It wont boot

feersumendjinn
29-12-2008, 01:24 AM
These are the power requirements for your video card, do you have the necessary feeds from your PSU plugged in?

System requirements include an available 6 pin PCI-E power connector and an available 8 pin PCI-E power connector.
(From here)
http://www.amazon.com/e-GeForce-PCI-Express-Card-Lifetime-EVGA-Overclocking/dp/B001B1SFIQ

And this is what Speedy is talking about
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/P7NSLI-FI1.jpg

MBassist
29-12-2008, 09:25 AM
These are the power requirements for your video card, do you have the necessary feeds from your PSU plugged in?

(From here)
http://www.amazon.com/e-GeForce-PCI-Express-Card-Lifetime-EVGA-Overclocking/dp/B001B1SFIQ

And this is what Speedy is talking about
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/P7NSLI-FI1.jpg

ahh yes that is plugged in and the video card is receiving the necessary feeds from the PSU

Could it be my case? or the PSU/

my friend assures me that the case is not shorting the MB and I dont know if the PSU could possibly be broken if everything else is getting power

Also could it possibly be BIOS?

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Does it beep, at all when you turn it on?

Thats if its got a speaker in it

Thats a possibility. If the BIOS doesnt support the CPU, it wont boot until you update it.

You'll have to take it back to the shop, ask them to put a lower spec CPU in it. flash it, then put your CPU back in

MBassist
29-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Does it beep, at all when you turn it on?

Thats if its got a speaker in it

Thats a possibility. If the BIOS doesnt support the CPU, it wont boot until you update it.

You'll have to take it back to the shop, ask them to put a lower spec CPU in it. flash it, then put your CPU back in

no beeps, but I don't think it has an internal speaker either

I just looked on the website and it looks like my cpu is supported only by version 2.1 of the bios, and I bet I have 2.0 default on the MB, so I guess its back to frys for me

MBassist
29-12-2008, 01:39 PM
is there anyway to flash the bios without a video signal? as in a non post

MBassist
29-12-2008, 04:04 PM
So we tried using the MB out of the case to no avail so its not a shorting issue

we tried a P5Q SE MB outside and inside of case

Tried 2 different power supplies so it cant be a PSU issue

Like Ive said already replaced the CPU

I dont know whats left

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Like I said, if the BIOS doesnt support the CPU thats on the mobo, you'll have to take it into a PC shop or wherever you got it.

And ask them, to install a lower spec CPU then flash it

Then put your CPU back in

Hopefully, that'll fix it

qazwsxokmijn
29-12-2008, 04:11 PM
I just looked on the website and it looks like my cpu is supported only by version 2.1 of the bios, and I bet I have 2.0 default on the MB
There's your problem. Go back to Frys and ask for a spare supported CPU (probably an old Pentium or Celeron they have lying around) and flash the BIOS.

MBassist
29-12-2008, 05:08 PM
So we can rule out BIOS seeing as on the new asus board my processor has been supported since release

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2008, 05:13 PM
So we can rule out BIOS seeing as on the new asus board my processor has been supported since release

Well you wont know that until you take it into a shop and do the above

If it still doesnt work / do anything, or flash (with a lower CPU on it), then its not a BIOS prob.

But it sounds like it needs a BIOS update before it'll turn on (since as above, the version of the BIOS thats on it) may not support the CPU

MBassist
29-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Well you wont know that until you take it into a shop and do the above

If it still doesnt work / do anything, or flash (with a lower CPU on it), then its not a BIOS prob.

But it sounds like it needs a BIOS update before it'll turn on (since as above, the version of the BIOS thats on it) may not support the CPU

well what I mean is I checked the ASUS site and the CPU has been supported since the first bios release, wouldnt that eliminate the problem??

Im thinking aobut just bringing it into the shop and paying th e80 bucks or whatever they are going to charge me t ofigure out whats wrong, or the 40 to flash the bios

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Oh so its a P5Q SE. You should make up your mind, on what mobo youre talking about

Agent_24
29-12-2008, 06:56 PM
What is your brand and model of PSU?

MBassist
29-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Oh so its a P5Q SE. You should make up your mind, on what mobo youre talking about

sorry heh

I'vegone trough three just trying to avoi BIOS problems and open boxes :)

As far as my PSU goes it is a COOLMAX CUG-950B 950W ATX12V V.2.2