PDA

View Full Version : CD Crashes Windows

06-06-2001, 08:59 PM
I just got the June PC World and wanted to install the Delphi 5 included on the disk. I was dissapointed when I inserted the disk, Windows crashed. The busy light was on on the CD Drive, you could hear the Cd speeding up then slowing down inside.

I then restarted the computer, took out the CD, inserted it again, only this time holding down Shift, and then went through My Computer, and Opened it. I could view the contents of the root directory (M:\), yet opening any of the files or folders once again caused the unusual behaviour.

I have looked underneth the disk to see if there was anything in the way, cleaned it, but it still won't work.

What can I do to solve this annoying problem?

06-06-2001, 09:19 PM
I think I should e-mail PC World about this one.

06-06-2001, 09:21 PM
My copy does exactly the same!! I have asked PCW to send me another copy.

06-06-2001, 10:26 PM
this is why I came to F1 it seems we have a faulty batch of CDs must be too 'secure' to enter

06-06-2001, 10:59 PM
Me too. Looks like the autorun is corrupted. I did get to see the contents.

06-06-2001, 11:03 PM
I was looking forward to trying Delphi but appear to have the same problem as many others. System is very slow loading the cd and then hangs up.

07-06-2001, 09:24 AM
I get the same problem also - my computer crashed when i opened explorer to read contents of drive.

07-06-2001, 02:55 PM
We always get a handful of duff disks in each run, but June seems to have been a terrible month for our pressing plant, which is dispatching a batch of replacements. Anybody who wants to trade their disk for a fresh one should email paul_tolungamaka.co.nz in our circulation department or dial 0800 IDG HELP.

Chris Keall
Editor
NZ PC World