PDA

View Full Version : SCSI Drive capacity undetectable after reassigning a bad sector

Agent_24
27-12-2008, 05:50 PM
I just installed a SCSI controller (Ratoc REX-PCI32) which uses an Initio INIC-950P chipset.

I had connected a Conner 540MB drive to it and went into the SCSI BIOS and was running the "verify disk" command.

At about 60% or so I got a message "bad sector detected" with two options: "reassign" or "skip"

I chose reassign, assuming it would remap the sector to a reserved sector (as drives do) but the BIOS then threw up an error which went something like: "00h 02h 02h" and then complained it could not read the capacity of the drive when I went back to the menu and rescanned for drives.

Now the controller detects the model number OK but it is detected as 0MB and makes a clicking sound (although this stops sometimes, such as when the controller is scanning drives etc)

1) Is there any software I can use to reset the drive capacity to normal?

2) Did the controller break the drive or was the drive already faulty, and this sector reassign attempt finish it off?

pctek
28-12-2008, 07:20 AM
Conner 540MB drive

Now the controller detects the model number OK but it is detected as 0MB and makes a clicking sound

Its dead. Get another drive.

SolMiester
28-12-2008, 09:14 AM
I just installed a SCSI controller (Ratoc REX-PCI32) which uses an Initio INIC-950P chipset.

I had connected a Conner 540MB drive to it and went into the SCSI BIOS and was running the "verify disk" command.

Thats a very odd SCSI drive, never heard of them before...size is weird too!

Agent_24
28-12-2008, 10:08 AM
I know it's stuffed now, but it seemed working fine before. It's odd that it died immediately after the sector reassignment attempt. Is it possible the controller did something stupid like rewrite a sector in the system area? or would the drives' own firmware prevent this?

It's a Conner CFA540S (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/IMG_2902.JPG) made by Conner Peripherals. Founded in 1986 and later merged with Seagate in 1996.

It was detected as 541MB when it was working.