PDA

View Full Version : Eset SS firewall blocks Virtual PC network/internet access

jwil1
27-12-2008, 01:52 PM
And now my VMs can't get IP addresses or access my network or the web :(

It works fine with the firewall turned off - but that defeats the purpose of it!

No "Do you want to allow this program to access the network" dialog box appears when running VPC.

How can I rectify this? It's getting quite irritating!

Any ideas???

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Change it to interactive filtering mode (normally I think), its on automatic

Double click on its icon / setup / personal firewall / switch to interactive filtering mode

That way, it'll ask you. Then click on allow

I found that out as well.

I couldnt send in IRC without changing to interactive filtering mode. So, it could ask, if I wanted to allow sending in/out

wainuitech
27-12-2008, 02:08 PM
That can happen if you have the firewall in Automatic Mode ( Default)- see what mode it is in, and make sure its in "Interactive mode"

Open the firewall - Make sure you are in "Advanced mode" - Down the bottom left hand corner will be Display:, when you click it , it will give the option of Advanced or Standard mode.(Standard is Default)

Once in Advanced Select Setup/ personal Firewall/ Make sure its set to Interactive mode As Shown Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Interactive_Mode1230339921.jpg) - below that is Configure Rules and Zones - Open it - Under the Rules Tab - locate your VM - make sure its all ticked, and change as required - OR delete the entry, and retry the VM this time ESS should prompt you to allow.

jwil1
27-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Yup, I've got it in Advanced Mode and on Interactive filtering and have since I installed it.

wainuitech
27-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Check under the Rules and Zones - Does it show in there - any shape or form ??

jwil1
27-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Nope. :(

SolMiester
28-12-2008, 10:25 AM
And now my VMs can't get IP addresses or access my network or the web :(

It works fine with the firewall turned off - but that defeats the purpose of it!

No "Do you want to allow this program to access the network" dialog box appears when running VPC.

How can I rectify this? It's getting quite irritating!

Any ideas???

Does it not have a little box for a tick to allow when this pop-up appears?

And remember that it is not just your physical NIC, but VM's have virtual NICs, so make sure you have entries for your virtual NICs

Bytepicker
13-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Hello,

The solution is very simple.
In your virtual machine, for example Windows ME.
Go to Internet Options, tab Lan Connections, hash out all options and see there. It works fine for me.
I have Eset Smart Security 3.0.684.0 installed with Interactive firewall on.

Grtz,
Byte

pctek
13-02-2009, 08:50 AM
NOD32 is a great antivirus but its firewall is hopeless.