PDA

View Full Version : Connect laptop and cell phone

prefect
26-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Has any one here run a lappy connected to a cellphone for web browsing and emails?
Any information would be appreciated

Driftwood
26-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Sounds expensive.

chiefnz
26-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Some of our manager's use their laptops with a Samsung i325 or Motorola Moto Q cellphone.

The instructions in my experience are quite simple to follow...

As previously stated acessing the Internet this way is quite expensive.

HTH

Cheers,

beeswax34
26-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Has any one here run a lappy connected to a cellphone for web browsing and emails?

Yes, I've done it running a HP iPAQ and more recently a HTC Touch Diamond. Speeds differ of course on whether the phone is accessing 3G or just EDGE/GPRS or whatever we get in NZ.

The cost however is astronomical like others have pointed out. Its not hard to do, just expensive like nothing ever before.

Barnabas
26-12-2008, 03:29 PM
I do it with my htc touch pro which I have on prepay on vodafone. You can use 10mb in 1 day for 1 dollar. After that its 1 dollar per meg. Not to expensive at all I would say. 10 megs is plenty if you are only downloading your email with no big attachments and its still enough to browse a few web pages. Good thing is its prepay so if you dont use it one day then you dont pay. Simple :)

B

John H
27-12-2008, 04:18 PM

I used to do it about 8 or so years ago. Nowadays I would get one of the USB modems from Vodafone or Telecom depending on who you are with. Much cheaper and simpler.

MusicMaster
27-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Yes, I have tried using my Motorola with my new laptop bought from www.notebookcity.co.nz which is an awesome machine. However the modem feature with the Motorola software tools doesn't work. (Yes, I do have a wireless card). But I often travel to places where direct wireless isn't available so I am also interested in this working. Any ideas???