PDA

View Full Version : Wot's the best Download Manager?

tuiruru
26-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Season's Greetings all

Has anyone got any opinions on which is the best download manager to use with Firefox 3.0.5 under Vista Home Premium and why? I know I need to use Flashgot to manage the manager.

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Well search for one in its addons and see whats available

Nothing wrong with firefox's one. At least it can resume

gary67
26-12-2008, 07:39 AM
download them all is a FF addon that works well for me

Trev
26-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Wouldn't have a clue, but I use Getright.
:)

wainuitech
26-12-2008, 08:17 AM
I Use Freedownload Manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/) - works well, and it also means you can close off the browsers if you want once the download starts.

Agent_24
26-12-2008, 02:52 PM
I find Getright has the best features - No other download manager I have ever used can do multisource downloads like Getright does

if anyone knows of one, please, let me know!

Term_X
26-12-2008, 10:02 PM
I find Getright has the best features - No other download manager I have ever used can do multisource downloads like Getright does

if anyone knows of one, please, let me know!

I have also used GetRight but recently switched to FlashGet and find it a bit better than GetRight.

Sweep
26-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Who needs a download manager anyway?

If you can not create folders or directories the download might end up on your desktop.

Agent_24
26-12-2008, 11:46 PM

If you can not create folders or directories the download might end up on your desktop.

Incredibly useful if you download a lot and often download large files.

My main use of getright is due to the mirror function. For example if downloading the latest ubuntu you can get the same file from up to 10 different websites at once, maximising throughput and as a side effect using up less bandwidth per server, which is nice for them.

Another good reason is when you start downloading from a non-resumable website - if you can add another, resumable mirror, you can safely stop the download and resume from a different site.

I have tried FlashGet before but while it had almost all the functions I wanted, it did not have multisource/mirror downloading capabilities. It was only possible to have one URL for each file and there was no "mirror search" function.

It works in a different way, opening more than one connection to the same server on the same file, but that is only useful when the server limits bandwidth per connection, and you can get away with multiple connections to boost speed (and most servers which do limit speed usually limit you to only one connection anyway)

Bozo
27-12-2008, 12:25 AM
DownThemAll (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201) is by far the best download manager for Firefox I have ever used - infact it is the best download manager IMO.

wainuitech
27-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Just tried that getright - Far from impressed - It was noticeably slower than same download only 5 minutes earlier with Freedownload Mnager - And worst of all they wanted $$ - its not free. Thats from their site.

Clod
27-12-2008, 09:40 AM
With you on that wainuitech. Was using the free Getright but tried your Freedownload Manager and my downloads are much faster. It'll do me fine.:clap

Bussani
27-12-2008, 07:51 PM

Sometimes it's necessary if you want to schedule downloads in a particular way.

Free Download Manager drastically increases the speed for me, making full use of my connection instead of fluctuating around wildly like it sometimes does. I also use DownloadThemAll! for some things.

gary67
27-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Just installed free download from Wainui and it brought up the optimization master for me to enter my connection speed any one know what setting I should use? Or how I can find out what to use?

Thanks

wainuitech
27-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Probably be what ever your Plan is from your ISP - I'm with telsta Cable . just Checked Mine (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Downloads.jpg) from options/Optimization Master, and its set to 2M DSL/Cable -- God knows how it go that :lol: I just installed the program ages ago so Maybe I selected the highest - :confused:

taichi01
29-12-2008, 12:10 PM
DownThemAll is - in my opinion - the fastest DL- Manager by using the Fox.

> Get Them All was good and very fast fot the Fox- versions 1*
> I am using FF 2.0 17, under some XP pro and home - versions, dto Vista,

under different connections (2000 to 20.000 kbit);
>> DownThemAll is the fastesd, also checked in FF 3*

wratterus
29-12-2008, 12:37 PM
+1 for downthemall.

Great program.

jupiter1
01-01-2009, 06:15 PM
I was recommended to use "Flashget" but all it did was crash my win2k/mozilla system.
Deleted it and all was well

Blam
01-01-2009, 08:28 PM
+2 for DownThemAll, I got a pretty good increase in speed and the dta feature makes it quick and easy