PDA

View Full Version : CRACK ON CD!!! HELP PLEASE

almightynugget
24-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi my Battlefield 2 Deluxe Edition CD has a crack running from the center to where the data is read. approximately 1mm from the silver circle which has some barcode on it.

It used to be small but now every time i put it into my pc it becomes longer. What can i do to fix this? (if possible)

Also would just battlefield 2 (stand-alone version) take my battlefield 2 deluxe edition cd key? (there are 2 cd keys; one for bf2 and the other for bf2: special forces)

I dont want to spend money on a game that i already bought

Erayd
24-12-2008, 11:32 AM
DO NOT put that disk back into your PC unless you're happy to destroy both the disk and the drive it goes in. If you want to back it up, try mending the disk with superglue and leaving it for a couple of days, then put some tape on the top side over the crack, and a matching piece on the other side to balance it. Find some software that lets you limit the speed of your drive to somewhere between 1x and 4x (use the lowest you can find). Then copy the disk. Apply the speed limit BEFORE you put the disk in the drive! Note that this process will take ages, but anything else is likely to shatter the disk and probably destroy your drive as well.

GameJunkie
24-12-2008, 11:45 AM
you can use a program called VirtualDrive Pro to create a virtual copy of the disc, then all you do is insert the virtual disc into VDP and you're away.

almightynugget
24-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey guys thanks heaps i slowed down the drive speed and made a virtual copy of the disc and the crack didn't become any longer. I can play it just fine now without the disc thank you guys sooo much!

GameJunkie
24-12-2008, 09:00 PM
no probs, that program is great if you can borrow games off friends and make virtual copies :)

bob_doe_nz
24-12-2008, 09:25 PM
no probs, that program is great if you can borrow games off friends and make virtual copies :)

Cheapskate!

GameJunkie
24-12-2008, 09:31 PM
its what you gotta do to get through these though economic times :D

Agent_24
26-12-2008, 12:01 AM
I'd say it's acceptable to copy the disk if you've got a decent reason (like yours) and you already bought it.

Just keep an eye on any copy you may make, most CD-Rs aren't great quality and deteriorate after a couple of years....