PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!

mathsgood
22-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi Everyone

I got 3 serious problems

1) Yesterday I was trying to install Windows Vista on my system with XP. But I realised that my disks were Dynamic, so I wanted to change it to basic. I didn't want to lose any data, so I used DiskProbe (I searched Google) to change it to basic. I followed the instructions on the site, except the backing up bit (I didn't know where to put the backup). I got confused when I clicked OK after all the editing, it said something like "the disk is Read Only, wold you like to..." but I clicked Yes Anyway. Rebooted, then every disk except System Drive C: was visible under My Computer. In Disk Management it could not read the disk. When I inserted the Windows Vista Disk, it could not find any disks on the system. So I inserted the Windows XP Disk deleted 2 partitions (\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1 & \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2) and format it. Then installed XP. Then installed Vista Home Basic. What my question is how can I recover data from the partition?

2)In Device Manager (in Windows Vista Home Basic) it shows an unknown hardware called PCI Simple Communications Controller. What is this hardware for? How will I fix this problem?

3)I just installed Windows Vista Home Basic. When I try to Activate my Windows Version I get this message. (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Activation_Error.jpg) How can I fix this?

Your help is highly appreciated
Thanks alot

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2008, 09:00 AM
2 Is probably for a modem

3. Its telling you. Its already being used. You cant use / activate it twice

You may have to ring MS to see / ask why

Why install XP then Vista?? Cant you just install Vista?

mathsgood
22-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Speedy: I couldn't install Vista because it could not detect and disks but XP could.

I use an ethernet port for my modem.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2008, 09:46 AM
That PCI simple communication controller entry isnt for ethernet.

There must be a modem in the case or something

Unless the broadband modem is internal

If the hdd in this thing is SATA, that could be why it couldnt detect it. If you mean, the BIOS couldnt detect the hdd. When you tried to install Vista

wainuitech
22-12-2008, 12:23 PM
If I'm reading this right
I inserted the Windows XP Disk deleted 2 partitions (\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1 & \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2) and format it. Then installed XP. Then installed Vista Home Basic. What my question is how can I recover data from the partition?
You blew away the partitions, created new ones and formated, and installed the OS- NOW you want to recover the data from the Old Partitions :groan: It shoudl be obvious - you will have a VERY slim chance - if you blew away the partitions for all intence purposes its gone.

mathsgood
22-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Wainuitech: I can, using Active@ Patition Recovery. But I haven't licensed it yet

wainuitech
22-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Not being sarcastic - But why would you want to blow away the partitions BEFORE saving the data, then thinking you can recover the data - thats plain stupid :confused: Doesn't make any sence at all.

You should have saved the data you wanted FIRST - then blow the partitions to reinstall. Those partiton recovery programs dont always work - I know because I have tried that active Partition recovery and while I managed to some data back most was gone. Even if it does work, it will wipe out the now working partition.