PDA

View Full Version : i think i bricked my mobo, please help

b3taband
22-12-2008, 01:00 AM
flashed the bios on my mobo (asus m2n sli deluxe) and it appears to be bricked. had to flash so i could upgrade my cpu (from amd 3800 to 5200)

on reboot i couldn't get any signal to my monitor and my usb ports were all dead.

tried removing everything except gpu (tosee if there was a hardware conflict) but nothing changed.

does anyone have advice? did the flash brick the mobo?

btw i typed this on my ps3 (the only connected device now) what a painful 10 minutes it's been.

gary67
22-12-2008, 06:38 AM
So it's totally dead not even able to get into the Bios?

cutter
22-12-2008, 06:54 AM
motherboard must be dead then?

i had a ASUS motherboard got it second hand for 50 got it home and nothing worked so i just threw it out and bought a new computer

half the time i had to keep restarting it as it wouldn't even boot up

Thebananamonkey
22-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Asus aren't renowned for this, ignore the post above.

Have you tried resetting the motherboard by resetting the CMOS battery?

Take it out for a few minutes and put it back in, then tell us if you have any progress.

How old is it? And where did you buy it?

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2008, 09:24 AM
If you've got the mobo cd, turn the power on, put it in

Press ALT-F2

Or it may do it automatically

It supports Crashfree BIOS 3, so putting the cd/dvd in should reflash the BIOS

Or if you've got a USB flash drive, copy an updated BIOS to it rename it to whatever it says to in the manual

Plug it in

HOW did you flash the BIOS?? You didnt use EZ-flash did you ? (as it states this on the ASUS site). If the previous BIOS is below 0304.

Agent_24
22-12-2008, 10:37 AM
I've seen a couple boards (from Asus) which went nuts after a BIOS update.

Clearing the BIOS settings by way of jumper or removing the battery fixed the problems.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2008, 10:59 AM
The AMD I had (m2a-vm hdmi), a few months ago did that.

The BIOS update killed it :lol:

I had to remove the CMOS jumper to fix it.

The last 2 updates of the BIOS were hopeless.

You couldnt change the onboard video card's ram to anything above 128mb

If you changed it, it reset the BIOS altogether.

b3taband
22-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Hey guys

gary67 - There is no response, I can't get the bios up at all.

Thebananamonkey - Asus MSN-SLI deluxe, about 2 years old. Can't remember where it was from, but it was retail new.

Speedy - I did use eZflash becasue it was supported in the bios (under advanced tab I think). But the bios version was 02XX. I tried the CD, but the mobo won't read from my DVD (and besides I can't get any signal to my monitor).

Sounds like I should try removing the CMOS jumper. Is that the same as removing the CMOS battery?

Cheers
Justin

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2008, 01:13 PM
You sould READ the info on the ASUS site, which specifically said DONT use EZ-Flash, if the BIOS is below 0304.

For the later versions of the BIOS

You wont get a signal, until you can get it to reflash.

Shouldnt matter if you remove the battery or the jumper.

Leave it off for about a minute then replace it

Did you try a USB flash drive if you have 1?? Rename the ROM first to the right name

b3taband
22-12-2008, 02:03 PM
You sould READ the info on the ASUS site, which specifically said DONT use EZ-Flash, if the BIOS is below 0304.

For the later versions of the BIOS

You wont get a signal, until you can get it to reflash.

Shouldnt matter if you remove the battery or the jumper.

Leave it off for about a minute then replace it

Did you try a USB flash drive if you have 1?? Rename the ROM first to the right name

Yup I am rettarded and didn't read the info thoroughly first (should never do this stuff in a rush).

Am I correct in understanding that resetting the CMOS will default it back to the factory bios?

Will try flashing with a USB flash drive next time.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Am I correct in understanding that resetting the CMOS will default it back to the factory bios?

It'll reset the BIOS to the default settings, yup

You'll have to reconfigure the settings again, then save them. IF it can reflash the BIOS

If you put the mobo cd / dvd in, and it manages to reflash it (it should reflash it if you turn the power on and put the cd in and wait), it'll reflash it to the original BIOS, that was on it

b3taband
22-12-2008, 02:33 PM
It'll reset the BIOS to the default settings, yup

You'll have to reconfigure the settings again, then save them. IF it can reflash the BIOS

If you put the mobo cd / dvd in, and it manages to reflash it (it should reflash it if you turn the power on and put the cd in and wait), it'll reflash it to the original BIOS, that was on it

Awesome.

One more question. If I use the AwardBIOS flash utility to flash the bios using a USB drive, do I need to do anything to it so it will boot, or will the system know to boot from it if I put on the correct files and meet thge requirements listed on the ASUS website?

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Once it manages to reflash the BIOS, you'll have to copy the flash program and the updated BIOS to a floppy or USB flash drive.

(The flash drive will have to be bootable, or capable of booting).

NOT all USB flash drives are bootable. Even if the BIOS supports booting from USB flash drives

If you're sure the USB flash drive is bootable, you can go here (http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm) and download one of the 98 zip files. Then extract / unzip it to the flash drive

Make sure you dont unzip the 98 files in a folder. They need to be extracted to the root folder of the USB flash drive

Its its bootable, it should boot (after you select it in the BIOS to boot from)

b3taband
22-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Still getting nothing from the mobo.

Have removed the battery and reset the jumper as per the instructions in my mobo manual (I read it thoroughly this time).

The system still won't boot, an I can't access the bios. There is no signal to the monitor and the USB ports on the mobo remain unpowered.

I have also tried putting rhe mobo CD into the drive and restarting, but other than the drive spinning up initially it doesn't seem to be able to read.

Seriosuly, is this bricked completely, or do you guys have some mroe ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Are you near Mt Eden?

If you are, you could bring it here. And I'll check it out

b3taband
22-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi, thanks for the offer.

Tonight is no good unfortunately, and I work tomorrow. If the offer is open tomorrow night would be good.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Thats cool.

So, are you in Mt Eden or somewhere else?

Umm you did flash while the 3800 was in right?? Then install the 5200?

You didnt install the 5200 then try and flash the BIOS?

b3taband
22-12-2008, 08:12 PM
I am in Greenlane, so not far away.

I flashed with the old cpu installed then I put in the new cpu. Nothing. I have tried both in the machine and neither work.

Really appreciate the offer of help. If you private message me with your contact details I can give you a call tomorrow and you can let me know what suits you.

CHeers

Justin

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Turn it off, pull the battery out, and pull the CMOS jumper off. Leave both off / out overnight.

Put them back tomorrow morning.

I've had a read of some of the threads on the ASUS forum about this mobo. It looks like a few of the later BIOS updates were for the wrong mobo. Even tho they were listed for your mobo.

But a few people DID manage to bring their system back to life, (exactly the same prob as yours), after doing the above, and putting both back 10 hrs + / a day after.

Any day / time suits me. You can PM me if you like, to give me the time / day.

Agent_24
22-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Have you tried it with the old CPU?

Rod J
22-12-2008, 09:41 PM
It's probably stuffed. I killed my ASUS P5B-VM motherboard trying to update the BIOS using the ASUS supplied Windows BIOS update utility a while back. Stupid Windows XP stopped the system with a blue screen error about half way through the update "to protect my system" :mad: Even using the EZ Flash update utility in the BIOS itself isn't guaranteed to work it seems. Thankfully, in my case, the board was replaced under warranty.

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Yup thats the downside of updating in windows. It freezes, its dead.

Altho I updated the old PC here, in Windows. BUT I had the update, all I did was load it.

I didnt update it off the net

Thebananamonkey
22-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Even using the EZ Flash update utility in the BIOS itself isn't guaranteed to work it seems

Especially using EZ flash.

There's no substitute for doing it the good old fashioned way.

Agent_24
22-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Especially using EZ flash.

There's no substitute for doing it the good old fashioned way.

Floppy disk, DOS and a normal flashing program :thumbs:

Only time that's ever failed for me was due to faulty hardware :annoyed: