PDA

View Full Version : Disc boot error after clean install

GeneralKanos
21-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi Guys,

I recently did a system wipe and reinstall on my box. I installed fine, no major hick-ups, but after I took out the vista disc from my pc (I realized I had left it in there) the next boot it cam up with (after the post) DISC BOOT ERROR. INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER

So I wiped it again and it has not gone away.

A few things: I have 2 hdd's in a spanning raid array and another seperate drive.

I was installing the mobo drivers and restarted the pc when I realized Windows was updating and was in the process of installing these updates.

I think thats it.

Any ideas for a fix. I dont want to have to have the vista disc in everytime I boot my PC!

GK

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Change the bootdisk in the BIOS to the right hdd

And make sure, no floppies are in. Or memory cards are in slots, if you have a card reader

That error usually means its trying to find the bootdisk, and there's nothing on it / an OS to boot from / into. (Its probably set to the separate hdd, in the BIOS. Which has no OS on it)

So, there was probably no need to install it a 2nd time.

GeneralKanos
21-12-2008, 07:41 PM
I have, and the second HDD has a empty install off Home Premium on it.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Did you enable RAID in the BIOS. BEFORE you installed Vista ?

GeneralKanos
21-12-2008, 07:48 PM
BEFORE Vista? Hmmm well considering all I did was put the vista disc in, format the drive, install vista and now, nogo. That wouldnt reset the bios, would it?

Ill check it tho...

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Well if you want RAID if the mobo supports it, it HELPS if you enable it first

Before you install an OS on it

Just because you have 2 hdd's or more, it doesnt mean you'll get RAID automatically.

And it'll probably ask for RAID / SATA drivers during the install

GeneralKanos
21-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Remember this setup was already up and running so nothing in the bios has changed.
I checked and that is the case, RAID is still enabled. And if I have a system disc in I can get to the drives no problem. It just wont boot off them.

The HDD's are in correct sequence and the system is looking for HDD then DISC then REMOVABLE....

When you install windows off the disc does it format it properly or does it just erase the data off the drive? Im just thinking this could be a virus and I should do a real format from INSIDE windows....

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Yer but IS the right hdd selected? Since there's 3 installed.

Just selecting the hdd option (if you dont select the actual hdd with something on it), it probably wont boot.

If it shows the model of the hdd in the BIOS (thats got Vista on it), select it

GeneralKanos
21-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Yes, the correct HDD is selected. Only two come up. One is the raid and one is the secondary drive. I have set the raid array infront of the other drive.

(Just for reference, Im not computer illiterate.)

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I dont know then.

It sounds like its not configured properly in the BIOS, to boot from the right device / hdd

Thats the only reason (I can think of), why that error would appear.

GeneralKanos
21-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Hmm...

Both hdd's have an operating system installed so even if it wont boot off the first, it should boot off the second, right?

So it can't be to do with the hdd's then....

And Im still getting the 'DISC BOOT FAILURE' error message....

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Reboot press / hold F8 down, see if it gives you a boot menu.

Select whatever hdd's have an OS on it. See if it boots.

BUt if its in RAID, wouldnt the 2nd hdd just have whats on the 1st??

Or did you install Vista twice on 2 hdd's?? Which wouldnt be RAID, if you did

GeneralKanos
21-12-2008, 08:41 PM
It doesnt get as far as letting me choose what OS to boot into.

And no, I have 2x250's in a raid 0 and a 160Gb. There is ultimate installed on the 500Gb raid and Home Premium on the 160.

In the bios it comes up with the raid and the 160 as seperate HDD's, and the same when I installed Windows.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 08:52 PM
It sounds like its configured wrong to me. Whats on the other 1/2 of this 500 GB that Ultimate is on? Is it blank??

I dont think you can use RAID,if both hdds have different versions on it

Since RAID is meant to be for 2 different hdds isnt it, not separate partitions of one hdd?

You cant have 2 hdds with 2 versions of Vista / Windows, with 2 different sizes for RAID

Disable RAID if you want to boot from both, it may work

GeneralKanos
21-12-2008, 08:52 PM
No no. I have 3 HDD's.
I have two 250Gb HDD's in a RAID 0 array (so it acts as one 500Gb drive) and a 160Gb drive.
There is Vista Ultimate installed on the 2x250's (the 500Gb raid drive) and Vista Home Premium on the 160Gb.

Ive gone into the system repair tool on the vista disc.... and it hasnt detected any HDD's. So I went into the "load drivers" thing and there is two HDD's. The raid arrray and an "X" drive called boot.
BOOT (X:) is 33mb and contains 'program files', 'sources', 'users' and 'windows'.

Any ideas where this could be coming from?

Sweep
21-12-2008, 08:53 PM
I have, and the second HDD has a empty install off Home Premium on it.

What do you mean by an empty install?

Please describe all hard drives you have and how are they partitioned. And before you say they are not partitioned let me remind you that a hard drive has to have at least one partition or it simply will not work.

Whoops speedy you beat me to it.

GeneralKanos
21-12-2008, 08:59 PM
I have 3 HDD's.
I have two 250Gb HDD's in a RAID 0 array (so it acts as one 500Gb drive) and a 160Gb drive.
There is Vista Ultimate installed on the 2x250's (the 500Gb raid drive) and Vista Home Premium on the 160Gb.

I guess a "clean install" would have been a better phrase. I meant that there is nothing other than the OS on it.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Unplug the 160 GB. Then see what happens

So did you install Ultimate on both 250 GB hdd's?? If it is in RAID. Because I dont think youre meant to.

You did install Ultimate ONLY on one of the 250 GB's right??

GeneralKanos
21-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Speedy, read the posts before you give help.
I stated that this is not a 'new' pc. It was running and all Ive done is install vista again. The 250Gb drives were ALREADY set up in a raid array. They appear as one 500Gb drive which I REINSTALLED vista on.

And Ive tried taking out the 160Gb to no avail....

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Well something is either configured wrong somewhere. Or something is screwed

I DID read the posts. Some of your posts are a bit HARD to understand

Read this or post a new thread (http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5N-D&board_id=1)

And someone (who is actually using that mobo) maybe able to help you

Sweep
21-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Speedy, read the posts before you give help.
I stated that this is not a 'new' pc. It was running and all Ive done is install vista again. The 250Gb drives were ALREADY set up in a raid array. They appear as one 500Gb drive which I REINSTALLED vista on.

And Ive tried taking out the 160Gb to no avail....
So you installed Vista.
Did you install Vista in the first place?

By any chance did you miss a step involved where the installion asks for a driver like RAID before you did the next thing?

I have read through this thread but can make no sense of it.

cutter
22-12-2008, 06:27 AM
Same thing happened to me

and the same error im thinking of buying a new HD just in case this one buggers up again

all we did was formatted the HD using the d-dos commands as it wouldn't format any other way but then it wouldn't boot up the cd first so we unplugged the HD (just the power lead) and restarted the computer waited for the CD to boot up then the CD booted we waited for windows to start then we plugged the HD back in and windows installed fine and now my computer is running good

GeneralKanos
22-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Ok Ill give a quick run down again to explain things. Sorry if I may have been a bit confusing, Ive been a bit stressed recently.

I had a computer that was working fine. two 250Gb drives in RAID 0. When I first put the HDD's in I had to run the RAID setup thing that appeared just after the post but that was all. Everytime afterwards the RAID array appears as healthy (and when I do boot into windows the HDD's act normally, I can read, write and copy fine).

I have another 160Gb drive that I installed Home Premium on but nothing else.

I decided to do a reinstall on the raid array so I put the system disc in, formatted and installed windows again, including the mobo and gpu drivers. It failed. So I repeated the process but to no avail.

I have checked the sequence in the bios, nothing has changed. I have tried unplugging the 160Gb.

I dont think I've missed anything...

cutter
22-12-2008, 10:03 AM
try it with just one HDD

GeneralKanos
22-12-2008, 10:16 AM
try it with just one HDD

You mean no RAID, and have the two 250Gb drives as seperate drives?

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2008, 10:22 AM
RAID 0 is hopeless anyway. If one hdd dies, so does the other

If it supports another RAID option, use that

Did you look in the ASUS forum, to see if someone had the same prob?

cutter
22-12-2008, 10:24 AM
try setting one 250GB HD to the master and format the HD and try installing windows again

idk why you have so many HDS? lol

GeneralKanos
22-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Hmm ok Ill see if it works on one HDD.

The only reason I used RAID 0 is for speed and I guess I dont really notice or need that...

SolMiester
22-12-2008, 10:28 AM
GK, where are you at with this.....?
Your error message states that the HDD selected does not have a bootable disk.....now this can happen when you have an extra disc to the 1 that gets the o/s installed on it....
when i had this issue, i had scsi raid + sata raid, so i had to enable other boot pci card, then select hard drive on that...
with yours, you have sata raid as 1st boot device, and selected array no?....sata boot options are much more precise than ide where you had master\slave, with multi port controllers, you have to be able to id the drive to port number and actually select that port...well you do with P35 \ICH9 anyway......

If I were you, I would remove the single drive, then run a fix mbr to ensure the active partition and boot scraps to the raid array, then once up and running, attach your single 3rd disc...

cutter
22-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Did you look in the ASUS forum, to see if someone had the same prob?

the same thing happened to me on the computer im on now

it should work if he can reformat it and reinstall windows

all i did was got the d-dos screen up formatted it from there as my CD wouldn't format my HD as my HD was trying to boot up first so i just unplugged it restarted my computer waited for the boot from disk screen booted the disk up and windows started installing then i plugged my HD back in and now the computer is fine just abit slow

and i will most probably be doing it again when i get my new HD and hopefully that will be Tuesday

GeneralKanos
22-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Ill keep that in mind, thanks SolMiester.

Im trying installing on one of the 250's (Ive diabled raid so they are two seperate drives at the mo). Ill see if its the raid thats stuffing it up.

What you are saying could be correct. When I first installed the 250's they were the only drives I had, the 160 was inserted later.

Well if it works on single drives I may keep it like that, its easier to upgrade drives like that.

But we'll see....

cutter
22-12-2008, 10:49 AM
so why do u have like 3 HDS? surely 250GB is enough space?

GeneralKanos
22-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Lol! No way! I had maybe 10Gb left on the RAID array (and it was only like 465Gb anyway)

Ive got like 200Gb of movies plus heaps of game iso's (as backups :p ) 20Gb music etc. It adds up pretty quick...

cutter
22-12-2008, 10:55 AM
damn lol good luck to that ha ha im thinking of buying a 250GB HD as i think mine has had it

one way to fix the space prob buy 2, 500GB HDS i think you can get 500GB not sure :p

allso on the boot prob

if you restarted your comp like 4-5 times did it boot up like normal?

GeneralKanos
22-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Ok well I installed Vista on one of the drives and it hasnt come up with the DISC BOOT FAILURE error so I guess it was the RAID that was stuffing it up, something to test later on I guess...

Thanks for the help guys, and enjoy your holidays!

cutter
22-12-2008, 11:13 AM
and you! glad u got it fixed :)