PDA

View Full Version : Seagate HDD failure

bk T
21-12-2008, 05:17 PM
This HP Pavilion dv6000 fails to boot with the error: Err1Err3

Checked with SeaTools and found that the HDD is dead.

The HP's warranty has expired for about a year now. How do I go about to get it replaced under warranty if possible at all?

Cheers

wratterus
21-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Seagate hard drives that are sold to manufacturers to put in branded laptops only have the lappy manufacturers warranty, in this case 1 year. Only hope of a warranty job is if the drives already been replaced once.

Been down this road before. :(

Sorry, but probably time to fork out for a new drive. Get another seagate, but this time it will have a 5 year warranty.

Double check the drive's actually faulty with seatools before condemning it, you can also try a sector repair with seatools.

Would be good to clone to the new drive, or at least clone the recovery partition if possible cause then it's much easier to set up windows. Do a full clone and if it goes through you'll have your data too. Any decent technician can do this (or at least try to) for you.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Read this see if it fixes it (http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-vista-support/208815-err1err3-disk-boot-failure-insert-system-disk.html)

Either reset the BIOS and reconfigure it. Or restore the OS. If the restore partition is still on it

Or connect it to a working system and burn the ISO's first. Then get another hdd and use the cd's/DVD

Sweep
21-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Have you tried the original supplier of the computer?

Check the serial number of the hard drive and find out from Seagate if the drive is still covered.

Some technicians may have looked at this Computer before you did and put in another HD which is no longer covered.

bk T
21-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Read this see if it fixes it (http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-vista-support/208815-err1err3-disk-boot-failure-insert-system-disk.html)

Either reset the BIOS and reconfigure it. Or restore the OS. If the restore partition is still on it

Or connect it to a working system and burn the ISO's first. Then get another hdd and use the cd's/DVD

Reset to default and performed 'Diagnostic HDD self-test' within BIOS - failed.

When I turned on the notebook back ON again, this time, the error, Err1Err3 is replaced with disk read error.

I would say that the HDD is dead.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Put it in a desktop and scan it

bk T
21-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Put it in a desktop and scan it

Don't have an enclosure for this SATA drive - only got an IDE enclosure.

You suspect that it may not be the drive itself?

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Does the desktop have SATA onboard??

If it does just connect it to a header and connect a spare SATA power connection to it

You dont need any enclosure if the desktop has SATA onboard

No harm in seeing what happens, after you scan it

bk T
21-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Does the desktop have SATA onboard??

If it does just connect it to a header and connect a spare SATA power connection to it

You dont need any enclosure if the desktop has SATA onboard

No harm in seeing what happens, after you scan it

Yes, there are spare SATA headers onboard the Desktop but the connector seems to be different from those 3.5" SATA drives.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Yes, there are spare SATA headers onboard the Desktop but the connector seems to be different from those 3.5" SATA drives.

Hmm shouldnt be different. There are 2 connectors you have to connect, the cable from the header and the power connector from the PSU.

Thats what I did once. I removed a SATA from a notebook (the connections on the laptop were exactly the same as whats on a desktop).

All I did, was connect the SATA header, from the desktop, and a spare power connector to it, to get the ISO's off it.

So I could burn them. Then reinstalled the OS on it. Because it was riddled with malware.

bk T
21-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Hmm shouldnt be different. There are 2 connectors you have to connect, the cable from the header and the power connector from the PSU.

Thats what I did once. I removed a SATA from a notebook (the connections on the laptop were exactly the same as whats on a desktop), to get the ISO's off it.

So I could burn them. Then reinstall the OS on it. because it was riddled with malware.

OK. .. there is an adaptor!! Thanks speedy.

Now, if I can 'see' the hdd, how do I burn the back up the ISO of the recovery partition?

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Connect it to a desktop, via the 2 connectors. Wait for the desktop to boot into windows.

It SHOULD appear in my computer / computer / whatever version of Windows is installed on the desktop.

You SHOULD see a few extra icons in there (apart from what usually appears there)

One of them SHOULD be the recovery partition (HOPEFULLY) its got one.

Open it, go through it and see if there are any files in it, ending with ISO.

If there are, (there maybe a few, or one if you have a DVD burner)

Copy them to a folder on the desktop

Then use something like Nero (if its installed on the desktop). And burn the ISO's.

If Nero isnt installed, use something like cdburner, which is free (www.cdburnerxp.se)

Its a lot smaller

Or Imgburn, or Infrarecorder, I think it is. Which is also free. All of them can burn ISO's

While the laptop SATA is connected scan it as well

The laptop I got the ISO's out of had 13 ISO's lol. So 13 cdr's !

I didnt have any blank DVD's at the time

bk T
21-12-2008, 11:03 PM
Connect it to a desktop, via the 2 connectors. Wait for the desktop to boot into windows.

It SHOULD appear in my computer / computer / whatever version of Windows is installed on the desktop.

You SHOULD see a few extra icons in there (apart from what usually appears there)

One of them SHOULD be the recovery partition (HOPEFULLY) its got one.

Open it, go through it and see if there are any files in it, ending with ISO.

If there are, (there maybe a few, or one if you have a DVD burner)

Copy them to a folder on the desktop

Then use something like Nero (if its installed on the desktop). And burn the ISO's.

If Nero isnt installed, use something like cdburner, which is free (http://www.cdburnerxp.se)

Its a lot smaller

Or Imgburn, or Infrarecorder, I think it is. Which is also free. All of them can burn ISO's

While the laptop SATA is connected scan it as well

The laptop I got the ISO's out of had 13 ISO's lol. So 13 cdr's !

I didnt have any blank DVD's at the time

Connected. Loaded Windows and detected the drive with 2 partitions: 1st partition inaccessible; 2nd partition is HP-Recovery with a folder named Recovery - unfortunately, it's empty!

Scanned with Seatools and it failed the test.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Select show hidden files and folders in my computer (Tools / folder options / view tab)

And untick hide protected system files. The files in the recovery partition maybe hidden

Which is why you cant see them

For the 1st partition, take ownership of it, then you'll get into it (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421)

Scan the 1st partition with a virus scanner if the desktop has one

bk T
21-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Select show hidden files and folders in my computer (Tools / folder options / view tab)

And untick hide protected system files. The files in the recovery partition maybe hidden

Which is why you cant see them

For the 1st partition, take ownership of it, then you'll get into it (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421)

Scan the 1st partition with a virus scanner if the desktop has one

Ok. I can now see the Recovery folder contents, but there isn't any ISO files.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Ok. I can now see the Recovery folder contents, but there isn't any ISO files.

Whats in it then?? Anything in any folder?

robbyp
21-12-2008, 11:18 PM
This HP Pavilion dv6000 fails to boot with the error: Err1Err3

Checked with SeaTools and found that the HDD is dead.

The HP's warranty has expired for about a year now. How do I go about to get it replaced under warranty if possible at all?

Cheers

Was the computer purchased for personal use, becuase if it was, you would still be covered by the consumer guarantees act. If so you should take the computer back to the retailer, so they can send it to be repaired. There should be no charge.

bk T
21-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Whats in it then?? Anything in any folder?

There are quite a few folders all with some files but no files with .ISO extension

It's late now. will leave it until tomorrow.

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Post the folder/s on ImageF1 tomorrow. Or get teamviewer tomorrow, if you want. I'll login remotely and check it out

If the desktop is connected to the internet

bk T
22-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Anyway, bought a new HDD, fitted and installed Win Vista, activated - OK.

Now got some problem with the drivers. Downloaded the 'correct' driver as detected by HP's autodetect but could not install the chipset, couldn't get the Webcam and Wireless going.:badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Which DV6000 is it??

There's 3 of them (http://h10061.www1.hp.com/ccsearch/search?pname=HP+Pavilion+dv6000+&opname=HP+Pavilion+dv6000+CTO+Notebook+PC&qry=drivers&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&method=prodFinder&enc=UTF-8&ctry=us&lang=en&dlc=en&sni=1842155&search=0)

With DV6000 in them

bk T
22-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Which DV6000 is it??

There's 3 of them (http://h10061.www1.hp.com/ccsearch/search?pname=HP+Pavilion+dv6000+&opname=HP+Pavilion+dv6000+CTO+Notebook+PC&qry=drivers&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&method=prodFinder&enc=UTF-8&ctry=us&lang=en&dlc=en&sni=1842155&search=0)

With DV6000 in them

It auto detected as dv6217TX. Also, manually, I used the product num , model num etc. produced the same result as dv6217TX

Somehow, I managed to get the webcam and wireless going now. But still could not install the chipset drivers. Anyway, basically, everything (all those essential devices are working now) seems to be OK. Probably just forget about the chipset drivers. Is this OK?

Speedy Gonzales
22-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Umm nope not a good idea leaving the chipset drivers out

On some systems, it can get unstable if theyre not installed

Maybe this if its 32 bit Vista (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-51246-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3350285&os=2093&lang=en)

Or this for 64 bit (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-51051-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3350285&os=2100&lang=en)

bk T
22-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Umm nope not a good idea leaving the chipset drivers out

On some systems, it can get unstable if theyre not installed

Maybe this if its 32 bit Vista (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-51246-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3350285&os=2093&lang=en)

Or this for 64 bit (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-51051-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3350285&os=2100&lang=en)

It's the 32 bit Vista I downloaded (file name: sp35850.exe). Failed to installed with following error:

"The computer does not meet the minumum requirement for installing the software. Setup will exit."

:confused: