PDA

View Full Version : PC Security setup?

jwil1
21-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi all,

Just interested to know what security configuration you guys have on your PC... (eg firewall, av, antispyware etc).

If you can, please tell us which programs you are using.

cutter
21-12-2008, 02:44 PM
I have AVG (http://www.avg.com/) very good i only have the trial though

wainuitech
21-12-2008, 03:13 PM
The last option in your poll is the only one that should be there ;) Any of the others and you are not covering all the bases.

Sweep
21-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Some of the applications I use will not run under certain operating systems.
I use what works for me.

Not letting others use your computer helps as well.

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Just Avast + the router + trojan remover - since I'm a regged user of it

gary67
21-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Have 5 computers in the house, one each for the three of us plus a couple of spares. I run Nod32 suite as got it free with the mag, on wife's and spares use Avast and ZA and on Step sons Avast and Comodo and Spybot, malwarebytes. Wife and I don't run any anti malware and no one else uses our comps, don't do torrents or visit dodgy sites and in 5 years have not had any malware as on the odd occasion have installed several and run them and they have turned up clean so just don't bother with them

Bussani
21-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Just Avast + the router + trojan remover - since I'm a regged user of it

So the router's firewall alone is enough do you think?

beeswax34
21-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Whoever said AV only is going to be posting a HJT log here very soon :p

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 04:34 PM
So the router's firewall alone is enough do you think?

For me yup, just dont use P2P programs.

Havent used firewall for 2-3+ yrs. Havent been hit with anything

I'm one of them BW :p

Bussani
21-12-2008, 04:45 PM
For me yup, just dont use P2P programs.

Havent used firewall for 2-3+ yrs. Havent been hit with anything

Ah, I'd probably better keep one then. I use torrents once in a blue moon.

mark c
21-12-2008, 05:07 PM
AVG, ZoneAlarm, Ad-Aware and Spybot. I have great faith in CCleaner which I run before I close if I've been to www.dodgysites.com and I dont do P2P or download movies or screensavers or any of that stuff. Seems to work.

robsonde
21-12-2008, 05:14 PM
AVG 8.0, update ever day, background scan every day.
Spybot S&D, update ever few months, scan ever few months.
firewall? no software firewall, just a NAT router.

windows updates automatic.

Erayd
21-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Firewall only - usually just in the routers, occasionally on an end PC if I need something fancy.

The last option in your poll is the only one that should be there ;) Any of the others and you are not covering all the bases.That depends very much on what you're trying to protect.

wainuitech
21-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Firewall only - usually just in the routers, occasionally on an end PC if I need something fancy.

That depends very much on what you're trying to protect. All the PC's on this LAN - We have had it a couple of times where just been on general sites, Eg: Stuff, PC World, Google searching for information and WHAM - up pops a warning from one of the security programs, generally Nod32 & Spyware terminator at the same time - saying something is trying to install, several times its been a variant of the Antivirus 2008/9 malware.

Had several times that someones tried to hack in and Nods Firewall Threw up a warning and stopped them.

Dont do any torrents apart from legal ones, (yes there are some, and not movies or music). But you dont have to have torrent programs, my wife and sons PC dont have any, yet about once a week one of them gets hit with something trying to get in that shouldn't.
Today for example, my son was looking on stuff - and got hit with a warning from Nod that some Trojan was trying to install.

beeswax34
21-12-2008, 06:21 PM

Ah, but you use anti-spyware too. I was only referring to AV-only people (no FW, no anti-spyware)

Speedy Gonzales
21-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Ah, but you use anti-spyware too. I was only referring to AV-only people (no FW, no anti-spyware)

Ah ha ok then

Erayd
21-12-2008, 06:28 PM
All the PC's on this LAN - We have had it a couple of times where just been on general sites, Eg: Stuff, PC World, Google searching for information and WHAM - up pops a warning from one of the security programs, generally Nod32 & Spyware terminator at the same time - saying something is trying to install, several times its been a variant of the Antivirus 2008/9 malware.

Had several times that someones tried to hack in and Nods Firewall Threw up a warning and stopped them.

Dont do any torrents apart from legal ones, (yes there are some, and not movies or music). But you dont have to have torrent programs, my wife and sons PC dont have any, yet about once a week one of them gets hit with something trying to get in that shouldn't.
Today for example, my son was looking on stuff - and got hit with a warning from Nod that some Trojan was trying to install.

You missed my point - it was a reference to my being a Linux guy, and as such I have no use for an AV or antispyware product, as I'm not trying to protect anything other than Linux systems. Linux AV/spyware scanners don't exist anyway - there is nothing for them to watch for.

Edit: I'm aware that there are scanners that run on Linux, but these are still Windows scanners (i.e. they look for Windows malware). There is no point in running these unless you're trying to catch nasties before they get transferred to a Windows box - a common use is in mailservers.

wainuitech
21-12-2008, 06:38 PM
You missed my point - it was a reference to my being a Linux guy, and as such I have no use for an AV or antispyware product, as I'm not trying to protect anything other than Linux systems. Linux AV/spyware scanners don't exist anyway - there is nothing for them to watch for.
Well thats a point :D I didn't realize that you only had Linux, I know Linux doesn't get hit with the same bugs as Windows, and thats a good thing I spose, but I do know there are a couple of AV's that support Linux, as I found one on the latest Xubuntu when I was "playing" about with it the other day - Mind you who knows what will happen in the future - some clever bugger will figure out how to infect Linux computers no doubt.

Erayd
21-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Well thats a point :D I didn't realize that you only had Linux, I know Linux doesn't get hit with the same bugs as Windows, and thats a good thing I spose, but I do know there are a couple of AV's that support Linux, as I found one on the latest Xubuntu when I was "playing" about with it the other day - Mind you who knows what will happen in the future - some clever bugger will figure out how to infect Linux computers no doubt.

Those AVs you're talking about are Windows ones (i.e. they scan for Windows viruses) - see the edit in my previous post.

I'm sure somebody will eventually write something that works, but for now I'm thankfully safe. And the Windows guys have you to look after them :D.

GameJunkie
21-12-2008, 06:48 PM
nod32, SASW, SWT, ccleaner,MB. get these and your sweet :D