PDA

View Full Version : cloning a boot HDD

Mike
21-12-2008, 01:58 PM
I have a 80gb drive with 2 40gb partitions, one of them has Vista installed on it, the other partition is empty (just a spare files drive)

I have a 40gb HDD I want to swap with the 80gb drive... is it possible to 'clone' the Vista drive onto the 40gb drive and swap the drives? If so, how?

I then want to remove the 80gb, replace it with the 40gb, and boot off that as if nothing had changed (or little ;))

I need the 80gb for a different PC.

Thanks,
Mike.

wainuitech
21-12-2008, 03:07 PM
As long as one of the drives is a Seagate - ( this program sometimes doesn't like it if no Seagate drives) download and install Seagate disk wizard (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard/) - make a bootable CD from it.

The current Vista Drive, make sure its set to Master - set the other drive to Slave - ( this is assuming they are IDE - if SATA then it will sort its self out) boot from the CD - select the current Vista Drive as source Drive - then select the other drive as destination drive - where it says resize drive - agree - clone the current vista to the other drive.

Turn off the PC. Disconnect the original Vista Drive - attached the newly cloned drive - start the PC - make sure you have the Vista DVD in the optical drive and make sure it boots from that DVD - Follow these instructions (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/194765-system-recovery-options.html) - METHOD TWO - select Startup Repair - when finished Vista should now boot fine on the new drive.

You normally have to repair the startup files after cloning a drive - something goes screwy during the clone, but startup repair usually fixes it.

Mike
21-12-2008, 04:23 PM
thanks wainuitech, downloading discwizard now...

Mike.

Mike
21-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Well :D

The 80gb drive is sitting on the desk :) So I'm guessing it worked lol

(and I didn't do the whole repair option... I figured I'll try without and see if it works, if it didn't I'll do it lol)

Thanks wainuitech :D

Cheers,
Mike.

wainuitech
21-12-2008, 06:17 PM
:thumbs: Glad it went smooth first time - Sometimes you're lucky and the clone doesn't need to have the startup repaired.

I Thought better to add that in than have you wondering why it was not working if it all turned to custard.

Mike
21-12-2008, 06:22 PM
I Thought better to add that in than have you wondering why it was not working if it all turned to custard.very wise, thanks for that :) I would have been wondering what to do next if it had, so cheers :D

Mike.