PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid spams?

agus
19-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi,

For the past one month I have received hundred of spams.

What is the easy way to avoid these annoying mails?

Thanks.

Safari
19-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Change your email address.
You have obviously not been very careful how you manage it so start fresh.

Speedy Gonzales
19-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Or install a program that can delete them / blacklist domains

Ofthesea
19-12-2008, 10:15 PM
If you research all the advice available on the interweb the conclusion should be;
1. Change to using a Gmail email address - nothing else comes close.
2. If you also want to use an email client to retrieve your Gmails then use a smart one like Thunderbird but there are no doubt other clients that would be ok

.. and the added advantage of Gmail is that its web based so you can change your ISP anytime without having to change your email address.

tweak'e
19-12-2008, 10:21 PM
why doesn't your ISP have spam filtering??

GameJunkie
19-12-2008, 10:22 PM
If you research all the advice available on the interweb the conclusion should be;
1. Change to using a Gmail email address - nothing else comes close.
2. If you also want to use an email client to retrieve your Gmails then use a smart one like Thunderbird but there are no doubt other clients that would be ok

.. and the added advantage of Gmail is that its web based so you can change your ISP anytime without having to change your email address.

x2

i can't remember when i last got any spam though my gmail account :D

Agent_24
19-12-2008, 11:07 PM
1) Get new email address.

2) Don't give it to any person or website who you don't trust, and don't post it on any website/chatroom etc or included on any files that may end up on the internet and don't send or receive chain emails, don't get viruses

OR

Stick with your current address, turn on your spam filter (if you got one), and then have fun checking the spam folder every day in case it trashed something useful (which defeats the entire point)

On a side note; Mailwasher is a very good program and may prove useful to you

Blam
20-12-2008, 04:55 AM
Oh, and use temporary email services for signing up for stuff online

limepile
20-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Yep Gmail gets my vote.Don't remember the last spam I saw. And you can have as many accounts as you like. Fantastic.
Or you can use Mailwasher to sort out your current problem.

Speedy Gonzales
20-12-2008, 08:08 AM
I just used poptray and add a list of domains to its blacklist.

Havent received spam for 4-5 yrs+.

And I can see when I get email, since it checks every 5 mins. If there's email, I can see it in the taskbar. And its free.

Digby
20-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Yes I used to use Mailwasher it was good.
Then I set up a new machine and did not install it.
There was a free version it was written by a Christchurch guy !

Selphiroth
20-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Another trick: if you must put your email address in public, try to make it into a format that can't be easily copy pasted. eg:

Instead of Spammestupid@fluffymail.com, write it like "Spammestupid at fluffymail dot com", so the human readers still know where to find you while bots will struggle just a bit more.

Not the most effective approach but better than nothing.