PDA

View Full Version : Fibre Optic.

Poppa John
18-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi All

Am I correct in thinking that the majority of telecom's copper wire is run thro' underground pipes? Certainly in town & City?

If so. What is the difficulty in dragging thro F-O as well?

I realise that the present roadside cabinets won't do for the F_O equipment. but it wou;d be a start wouldn't it. PJ

Metla
18-12-2008, 08:25 PM
They are hanging on the pole outside your house......

Though I have no idea how its done elsewhere.

jwil1
18-12-2008, 08:43 PM
In central Wellington it's done through the trolley bus wires.

Poppa John
18-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Metla..From the Pole to the House , Yes. Otherwise underground to the little grey junction pipe. From there up the pole. PJ

decibel
18-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Down residential streets, it's mostly buried straight in the dirt.

PaulD
18-12-2008, 10:16 PM

On rather than through. The fibre is suspended on the cross road wires that hold the trolley wires up.

decibel
19-12-2008, 04:01 PM

That fibre though belongs to CityLink, not Telecom.

somebody
19-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi All

Am I correct in thinking that the majority of telecom's copper wire is run thro' underground pipes? Certainly in town & City?

If so. What is the difficulty in dragging thro F-O as well?

I realise that the present roadside cabinets won't do for the F_O equipment. but it wou;d be a start wouldn't it. PJ

Some areas have the trunking in place from decades ago, so yes - pulling fibre through is fairly straightforward. Unfortunately in many areas that's not the case - either cables were direct-buried, or they've run out of space.

Chilling_Silence
19-12-2008, 04:50 PM
IMO Fibre to the home is a bit of a waste ... upgrade the rest of the infrastructure and put in more of those little roadside boxes .. get people better speeds on ADSL and sort out the ADSL backbone so we dont have issues like in the CBD where the Telecom exchange is overloaded (Yet Orcons is fine?)...

Fibre will probably just increase piracy, ADSL / ADSL2+ is already plenty fast for most users IF they get proper speeds from it