PDA

View Full Version : Odd audio problem

manicmedic
17-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi, I left the room and the kids were on the computer Argh! It may be nothing to do with them of course. Well I now have an odd problem.
Playing audio via iTunes or playing WMA files through windows media - all is fine but, play via firefox (ie youtube) and Skype then the volume is very low. Rebooted and powered down the speakers (desktop stereo and powered sub) with the same result.

Been through control panel and can see nothing wrong ... all volumes are up to max. I can't think that they'd do anything much as they are very young and nothing new or different was left on the screen.

Can you offer any suggestions.

Colin

pctek
17-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Volume on youtube clips? You know how it has the little icon on the clip window? Is that up full? Kids may have amended one and its now on default.

beeswax34
17-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Volume on youtube clips? You know how it has the little icon on the clip window? Is that up full? Kids may have amended one and its now on default.

He's also having issues with Skype so it can't just be the YouTube volume control that is set to low.

wainuitech
17-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Can you please try this - lets see if its a Internet (streaming) problem somewhere - open Itunes (which you mentioned plays OK, I assume locale stored music) when it opens select on the Left - Radio - select any sort of stream you fancy, keep expanding the options until you find a radio station and see if it plays at normal sound levels.

manicmedic
18-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks so far ..... well the iTunes radio tested fine with normal volume to some VERY obscure rock. YouTube still low and same with Skype (less than a quarter volume). Volume on YouTube window at highest too.

Next .....

wainuitech
18-12-2008, 12:18 PM
By any chance do you have headphones and speakers plugged in at the same time ?

If you do unplug the head phones.

Also check your skype settings - open skype - Tools / Options / Audio Settings - make sure they are all default As shown here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Skype.JPG)

manicmedic
18-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Yep all checks out on Skype. I had plugged headphones in for about 20 mins and now unplugged. I used the jack at the back where the speakers exit. Now not connected.

wainuitech
18-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Any Difference ??

Shouldn't be if it was only in the Audio Out as there wee no speakers to clash with.

manicmedic
18-12-2008, 12:58 PM
No I unplugged yesterday .... but it was roughly the same time as the problem started ..... I've checked the connections too ..... on doing this ..... when the plug is half in the volume is louder / normal but when fully in it's quiet ...... so is it the cable to the speakers or the socket on the motherboard?

wainuitech
18-12-2008, 01:56 PM
no pun Intended - :p But sounds like a dirty connection someplace. If it were a faulty socket you would expect it to play quiet all the time, not just on FF / Skype.

Since its only happened a day or so ago - you can try running system restore back to before the problem started - just in case little fingers touched something they shouldn't ;)

To run restore - click start/All Programs/ Accessories/ System Tools / System Restore - you'll get a calender - select the day before the problem started.

Does the PC have Front Audio - if it does try plugging into that.

manicmedic
18-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Well no restore points are coming up just the one set when accessing restore. Not letting me access Nov. Front audio has same issue.

wainuitech
18-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Hmmmmm Okay - running out of ideas here :D

Try this - go to This site (http://www.digirama.co.nz/albumdetails.aspx?MediaID=902312) - on the right beside the price is an arrow- press any one, a sample of the music will open in WMP - see what it sounds like. (I suspect it will be OK) since Itunes played the radio OK as well.

Upgrade your flash player here (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/) Untick the tool bar install - not required - Places like youtube use flash - not to sure if it will affect skype or not. While you're at it - do the Java as well (http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp).

I don't think its the socket in the PC - if it was then WMP and Itunes wouldn't play as well, but it does, so it sounds more like a software problem some place.

manicmedic
18-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Flash and Java up-dated. Digirama was quiet too. IE was also quiet .... Ideas = none. Problem = annoying. Thanks for your help, if you can think of anything else then great but I understand if you have no further suggestions.

wainuitech
18-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Its got to be software someplace - if music plays OK in WMP and itunes from the PC, then theres nothing wrong with the hardware - Audio Socket or Speakers.

Just trying to think as to what would cause it to go quiet from within Browsers / Skype.

About the only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is uninstall then replace the audio drivers

I'm gonna PM a couple of people here - stay tuned as they say.

manicmedic
18-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Ta :punk

wainuitech
18-12-2008, 07:13 PM
See if this has any effect - Click start/run - type in sfc /scannow <Press Enter> - have your XP CD handy it may ask for it.

Speedy gave a possible solution here (http://forum.skype.com/lofiversion/index.php/t26077.html) - but as he mentioned it is several years old and may not contain to the newer version of skype - BUT I dont think myself its a skype problem. :confused:

wratterus
18-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Crikey, tough one.

Driver update would be one of the only other things that I could suggest.

Also would be worth disabling the front audio in the BIOS and see if that changed anthing.

manicmedic
23-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Can't see the front audio in bios ... drivers updated ... after scan found 2 issues, I resolved them and still poor sound. Might consider a club hammer for a minor adjustment! New soundcard?

twentynine
23-12-2008, 08:05 PM
if you use vista then it could be the mixer. click on the little white speaker icon thingee down the bottom then click the word that says mixer. if you have ff open playing a vid on utube whilst doing this then it wi;ll come up on the mixer... you can just adjust it to the same as the other apps...

heres a piccy of the mixer http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Windows-Vista-Volume-Mixer-41882.shtml

wainuitech
23-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Personally I still think its a software problem someplace - if it were a hardware fault, you would expect the volume to be quiet on all applications, not just FF and skype.

Try this (make sure you remember your skype user name and password) - uninstall skype - reboot, then try FF / youtube or any other application that the volume is quiet on.

Go into the control panel - Sounds and Audio Devices, under the Audio tab, make sure the Sound playback is set to your default drivers ( what ever they may be) Eg: mine are Realtek (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Realtek.jpg)

Also - is the sound card a separate card, or inbuilt audio on the board ?