PDA

View Full Version : Word-.doc

05-06-2001, 06:42 PM
Probably simple to fix but how to do it.

When I save a Word file the filename puts .doc after the filename. I want to stop the file name having .doc.

Can anyone tell me how to avoid .doc being added.

I run Word 2000 on Windows 98se.

05-06-2001, 09:07 PM
Hi David,

.doc is the file extension that defines a Word Document, much the same way as .mp3 is an MP3 file, .jpg is a jpeg image, .xls is an Excel file and so on.

Although a .doc file is the default Word association, you can also save a word document as a plain text file (.txt), rich text format (.rtf) or as many more formats by clicking the drop down arrow next to 'save file as type' when you select 'save as'.

This is handy if the recipient does not have Word to view your file.

At the end of the day however, if you are working in Word, you save the file as a Word file, eg .doc

Matt

01-09-2001, 10:09 AM
Hi David, better late than never I suppose. Your question has been niggling on my mind for awhile, and I found the answer by accident, so hopefully you will be notified of this response.

To stop Word putting a .doc after the filename you need to alter folder properties. Yes thats right this actually affects the name of the file type saved in Word, minus the extenstion.

Open up any folder on your computer, on the menu bar at the top click 'view/folder options', click the 'view' tab, and put a tick in the 'Hide file extensions for known file types'

Good luck - Paul