PDA

View Full Version : New PC... Slightly Random BSODs

Neillithan
16-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm seeking help with a problem I'm having.

I recently built a PC for my brother from parts purchased from Newegg. To see a list of the parts, click here. http://docs.google.com/View?docID=dcsf8qfg_220hbrh8qdt&revision=_latest

Anywho, I have installed Windows XP Pro SP3. I installed the chipset drivers from the CD that came with the Motherboard. I installed the latest nvidia drivers for the videocards from nvidia.com.

I get random BSODs... but they are not entirely unpredictable. When I click on something like a close button, the start menu, move a window... or even attempt to shut down, I will get a BSOD. However, I am able to play PC games for extended periods of time without problems, like Call of Duty 4 at 1920x1080 res, but upon closing Cod4, it's only a matter of time before the PC has BSOD.

I have checked the videocard temps and they are normal around 70-80 degrees celsius at auto fan speed. I have not checked the CPU temp yet.

I wrote the message down.

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_NORMAL

***STOP 0x000000D1 (0x000001A8, 0X00000006, 0X00000001, 0XBA5E84C0)
***nvgts.sys - Address BA5E84CO base at BA5D6000, Datastamp 472236EB

I have googled the error and it seems as though it is a memory issue, so I downloaded memtest and ran the test for the entire 1st pass. No errors.

I tried a program called BurnInTest http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm for 15 minutes and it passed without errors.

I'm not really sure what to try now besides reinstall Windows getting latest chipset drivers or updating the bios. Can someone make any suggestions that can help me solve my PC troubles?

Thanks,
-Neil

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2008, 11:20 AM
This file will be the main prob

***nvgts.sys - Address BA5E84CO base at BA5D6000, Datastamp 472236EB

Your Nvidia drivers

It looks like this is a known issue, with this file

Are you using hdds in RAID?? It looks like this BSOD may have something to do with RAID as well

Neillithan
16-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi, thanks for your fast response.

No, I am not using RAID. It is a single 1.5 TB seagate. So the problem is related to video drivers?

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Hmm it could be that motherboard (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=55507&st=0)

Since your mobo is also EVGA

Try plugging the hdd into a different SATA port

Have you installed any Symantec programs?? One reply from the above site says Symantec Antivirus also caused this BSOD with this file.

He uninstalled Symantec AV then it was fine. BUT Winamp also crashed his system in XP but not in Vista

Neillithan
16-12-2008, 11:38 AM
No AV programs are installed.

This just dawned on me, but I did not think it was possible.

When I first built the PC, I couldn't use the 1.5 TB harddrive because the SATA power connector was broken. In the meantime, I used an IDE harddrive to install Windows XP on. After getting everything perfect, I made a backup of Windows using Acronis True Image. After receiving the replacement harddrive a week later, I simply restored Windows to the 1.5 TB seagate.

Now that I think about it, that may be the reason for the BSODs. I will have to reinstall Windows to test this theory. I figured restoring Windows onto the SATA 1.5 TB hd would present no issues but apparently I was wrong.

Unfortunately, I can't recall if I experienced any bluescreens before installing the new SATA drive. My memory isn't so good.

Is there a way that I can uninstall the chipset drivers and reinstall them or would it be safer just to reinstall Windows?

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Ah ha ok that could be the reason for the BSOD.

I would do a clean install on the SATA itself. See if it stops the BSOD's

Does the BIOS detect ALL of the 1.5 TB?? If it doesnt, you may have to update the BIOS which may fix it

Neillithan
16-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Allright, will do. Thanks for your help in coming to this realization. :)

-Neil

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2008, 11:45 AM
No probs :)

gary67
16-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Never mind your onto it now, next time you should clone the old drive to the new one with Acronis not just copy it

SolMiester
16-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Loading the driver for any new software 1st also helps...you went IDE to SATA.

Neillithan
17-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Never mind your onto it now, next time you should clone the old drive to the new one with Acronis not just copy it

Oh, well I did use acronis to restore an already created image file to the new harddrive but I didn't think to clone it. I believe there's an option in Acronis for cloning.

-Neil

Neillithan
18-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Okay, I reinstalled windows. This time, I downloaded the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard, latest video card drivers, and installed everything.

After a long gaming session, my brother closed out of Cod4 and instantly bluescreened. How is this possible? I didn't see the Bluescreen error message but I'm assuming it was the same one before.

Should I try updating the bios?

-Neil

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Whats the BSOD say this time?

Is COD fully patched?

Neillithan
18-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Yes, COD4 and CODWaW are fully patched, although I dont think that has anything to do with the bluescreens. The bluescreens happen in Windows, not in games. I will have to get back to you on the BSOD, I have to wait for the next one to occur so that I can check to see if the BSOD message is the same as before.

-Neil

SolMiester
18-12-2008, 12:40 PM
What version of drivers are you using for Nvidia graphics?....180.48 big bang?

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Check event viewer and see what the BSOD points to

Look for any X's / bugcheck entries

Neillithan
18-12-2008, 01:39 PM
What version of drivers are you using for Nvidia graphics?....180.48 big bang?

Hi, we're using "180.48_geforce_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe" for the videocard drivers.

Also, we're using "15.23_XP32.exe" for the motherboard drivers.

Also, here is a picture of the aftermath of a bluescreen.

after bluescreen (http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/2987/afterbluescreenll3.png)

Here is a picture of an error in the event viewer, the only one I could find that took place around the time of a bluescreen. Whether or not it has anything to do with the bluescreen, I'm not sure.

Event viewer error (http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/5137/eventviewererrorib8.png)

I have yet to experience another BSOD in order to verify if it is the same message I've been receiving.

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2008, 02:14 PM
I think that Error code 100000be has something to do with this

0x000000BE: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

A driver attempted to write to read-only memory. Commonly occurs after
installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware.

If a driver file is named in the error message, try to correct the problem by
disabling, removing, or rolling back the driver

Neillithan
18-12-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure what you're telling me to do. Sorry.

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Well looks like some drivers are either screwed, faulty, stuffed.

Probably the videocard drivers

HOW many versions of the videocard drivers are installed?

Are these from the mobo maker's site? Or the mobo CD

15.23_XP32.exe? Or did you install any driver?

Neillithan
18-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Well looks like some drivers are either screwed, faulty, stuffed.

Probably the videocard drivers

HOW many versions of the videocard drivers are installed?

Are these from the mobo maker's site? Or the mobo CD

15.23_XP32.exe? Or did you install any driver?

I have installed Windows XP fresh. I used the drivers stated in my previous post. I do not have multiple driver versions for the same device.

The motherboard driver was downloaded from evga.com yesterday. The videocard driver was downloaded from nvidia.com yesterday. These are the latest stable drivers. I can't be any clearer than that.

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Since this looks like an Nforce mobo, you didnt install Nvidia firewall did you?

If it gave you an option in one of the driver installs?

If you did, uninstall it

Neillithan
18-12-2008, 03:30 PM
I did not install the firewall. I learned that lesson a long time ago. ;)

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Good lad :p

Umm well, it looks like its a common thing with COD4

Here for instance (http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t57786.html)

Have you tested the memory to see if its faulty?

Neillithan
18-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Okay I'm going to say this one last time because I am almost ready to end this thread.

No, it is NOT caused by Cod4 or games in general. The BSODs take place AFTER or BEFORE running cod4, NOT during. I'm almost certain the BSODs are not caused by COD4. Games in general do not cause the BSODs.

Also, I have performed a memtest with memtest86 and there were no errors.

I respect you trying to help me, I really do... I just feel like I'm running out of patience.

-Neil

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Well take it back and replace it or get a better mobo

See if it does the same thing.

If its not the game, the drivers or the ram, its the mobo, PSU, or something you didn't do, when you assembled it

There's not a lot of options left.