PDA

View Full Version : Encoding DVD movies into x264 with Handbrake

nofam
16-12-2008, 10:06 AM
How long should this take?? :o

I tried last night with a DVD of Blade, and once I figured out that the copy protection was interfering with things, I ripped it off the disc with DVD decrypter to an .iso

I then encoded the .iso to a .mkv file using x264 with an average bitrate of 1800 (the standard Film setting).

Flipping thing took about 4 hours (that's a guess because I went to bed and left it!!). Is that normal?

Was encoding on my Thinkpad - Core 2 Duo T7300 @ 2Ghz with 3Gb RAM.

Just as a side note, am I right in thinking there's no copyright issue with ripping movies from legally purchased DVD's?

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Just as a side note, am I right in thinking there's no copyright issue with ripping movies from legally purchased DVD's?

Well thats debatable. Some people would say yes, some would say no

mabix
16-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Hey you have the same thinkpad as me :P

It takes about 45mins for me to convert into MPEG, i'll try ripping a DVD into x264 now and get back to you with the results

wratterus
16-12-2008, 10:16 AM

There probably is, however if it's for your own personal use noones going to care. I do it all the time! My DVD collection is on my PC. :thumbs:

It can take some time, but 4 hours is perhaps a little extreme? No doubt someone will know for sure, I'd expect it to be quicker on such a grunty lappy, maybe x264 takes a bit longer than mpeg?

utopian201
16-12-2008, 10:32 AM
That sounds about right. My friend recently encoded a 180min home video (712x562) from raw to h.264, 2 pass on a dual core 3.17ghz. It took over 7 hours.

CYaBro
16-12-2008, 10:54 AM
How long should this take?? :o

I tried last night with a DVD of Blade, and once I figured out that the copy protection was interfering with things, I ripped it off the disc with DVD decrypter to an .iso

I then encoded the .iso to a .mkv file using x264 with an average bitrate of 1800 (the standard Film setting).

Flipping thing took about 4 hours (that's a guess because I went to bed and left it!!). Is that normal?

Was encoding on my Thinkpad - Core 2 Duo T7300 @ 2Ghz with 3Gb RAM.

Probably is about right.
I did all my DVDs a while back to Xvid and each one took 2-3 hours depending on how long the movie was.
x264 is a lot more complicated so it would take longer.

As for ripping DVDs it is illegal as you have to circumvent the copy protection to do it. That is the illegal part. If you have DVDs that aren't copy protected then you are allowed to do it.
In saying that, who really cares if you are doing it with your own DVDs??

There are units available that allow ripping of DVDs to the internal HDD for playback without the DVD but these don't break the copy protection as they copy the DVDs bit for bit.
The DVD is then decoded as normal when playing back from the HDD.
These units aren't cheap though!

nofam
16-12-2008, 11:15 AM
As for ripping DVDs it is illegal as you have to circumvent the copy protection to do it. That is the illegal part. If you have DVDs that aren't copy protected then you are allowed to do it.
In saying that, who really cares if you are doing it with your own DVDs??

There are units available that allow ripping of DVDs to the internal HDD for playback without the DVD but these don't break the copy protection as they copy the DVDs bit for bit.
The DVD is then decoded as normal when playing back from the HDD.
These units aren't cheap though!

Yeah that's kinda why I started out just doing .iso's - it's quicker because there's no '1st step' to remove copy protection, and there's no quality loss, but it's going to full up my drives pretty quick!!

Just out of interest, are there any apps that decrypt AND encode to x264/Xvid etc at the same time, or at least as a 2-step process in the same program?

mabix
16-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Have you tried VLC?

nofam
16-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Have you tried VLC?

Is that using the libraries like libdvdcss etc?

How do you get those to work in VLC?

mabix
16-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Is that using the libraries like libdvdcss etc?

How do you get those to work in VLC?

I just copy them from the Disc using AnyDVD, change the vob extention to mpg and then use VLC to change to H264. May seem long, but VLC is an excellent encoder.

Don't know what else is there

SolMiester
16-12-2008, 12:17 PM
There probably is, however if it's for your own personal use noones going to care. I do it all the time! My DVD collection is on my PC. :thumbs:

It can take some time, but 4 hours is perhaps a little extreme? No doubt someone will know for sure, I'd expect it to be quicker on such a grunty lappy, maybe x264 takes a bit longer than mpeg?

I rip DVD as I own the disc and worry the kids will stuff the original one, so do a backup copy!

Anyway that does sound slow, but then again you are dual core with a laptop hard drive?....cant expect much with that!

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Its possible using something like DVD Region + CSS Free, just do encoding directly off the DVD .. however after a few hours of spinning your disc will quite probably be uber-hot!

Ive setup a bash script in linux to rip to HDD then encode .. Im sure you could probably do something like that with windows too :)
On a 2Ghz Athlon x64 it takes me around 3 hours per-disc to rip & encode? I do a 2-pass encode too.

Not sure if this will help, but here's my script (Cheers to Erayd who initially help and I just modified it to suit my needs), you should be able to pluck the relevant bits out of it for use in Windows:

cat ripdvd2
#! /bin/bash
DEVICE=/dev/dvd
OUTDIR=$HOME/movies
#hcmd="HandBrakeCLI -i $1/$1/ -o "$OUTDIR/$1.mp4" -N eng -E faac -B 96 -S 700 -2 -e x264b30 -f mp4"
hcmd="HandBrakeCLI -i $1/$1/ -o "$OUTDIR/$1.mp4" -N eng -E faac -B 128 -b 1100 -2 -e x264b30 -f mp4"
dcmd="dvdbackup -i $DEVICE -F -o $1 -n $1"
echo Making directories
mkdir $1;
echo Beginning DVD rip now
$dcmd;
echo DVD rip completed. Now grabbing the extra files needed to keep HandBrake happy
mount /media/cdrom/
cp /media/cdrom/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO* ~/$1/$1/VIDEO_TS/
umount /media/cdrom
echo Ejecting your DVD now
eject $DEVICE;
echo Beginning HandBrake encode
if [ "$2" != "" ]; then
hcmd="$hcmd -t $2";
else
hcmd="$hcmd -L";
fi
hcmd="$hcmd -T"; #turbo rip on first pass
$hcmd;
echo Deleting temp directory
rm -rf $1;
echo Rip completed
exit;

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Does VLC use h.264 for encoding or ffmpeg ?

mabix
16-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Does VLC use h.264 for encoding or ffmpeg ?

You get the option in the new version (0.9.2 i think?) you can choose under video settings (File>Advance Open File>More>Convert>Video)

gary67
16-12-2008, 07:30 PM
The version I have is 0.9.4