PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Laptop parts... where?

Sick Puppy
15-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Hi everyone, my fiancee and I coincidentally have the same laptops, and they [ahem] now need a bit of work, hers much more than mine! lol

Seriously, they are both ASUS A6Vm's, 15.4" screen, about 2.5 years old. Hers has:
* a cracked front Bezel (the plastic framing around the screen). Screen is fine though;
* screen hinges are loose- mines feels a lot tighter when it moves;
* Broken backspace key- well, it's wonky anyway! repair the key or replace the entire keyboard?

Mine has broken clips on the DVD Writer- you know the circle you place the disc on that has six clips to hold it in place? Well, mine now has three :blush:.

Anyhow, I'm calling ASUS NZ about her screen cover as I figure that's pretty important, but I also figure they will charge the earth for what I can see costs about $40 overseas... (Including ASUS US lol) will find out either way tomorrow!

Are there any shops here in NZ that order the required OEM parts from overseas, or refurbish existing units? Or am I better off looking for a junked one for parts (and if so, where apart from Trademe?).

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Blam
15-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Try Service+ (http://www.serviceplus.co.nz/), they do laptop repairs

B52
16-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Hello Sick Puppy, I would recommend that since you both have the same laptop that needs repairing, why not use the laptop that's in the worst condition and canabalise it for parts? But, by my reckoning, it would cost you at least $350 NZD for the bezel AND LCD. The new keyboard from ASUS would cost about $150NZD. With this money, you could actually buy a new laptop altogether. There are also a number online parts dealers in the USA that would also sell you the parts. They're there if you google them.

Kiwis are great do-it-yourselfer's but sadly computers don't lend themselves to repair these days. Normally if a single button(s) on a keyboard are broken, then it would warrant a new keyboard altogether.

Good luck whatever path you choose.

wratterus
16-12-2008, 01:12 AM
Hello Sick Puppy, I would recommend that since you both have the same laptop that needs repairing, why not use the laptop that's in the worst condition and canabalise it for parts? But, by my reckoning, it would cost you at least $350 NZD for the bezel AND LCD. The new keyboard from ASUS would cost about $150NZD. With this money, you could actually buy a new laptop altogether. There are also a number online parts dealers in the USA that would also sell you the parts. They're there if you google them.

Kiwis are great do-it-yourselfer's but sadly computers don't lend themselves to repair these days. Normally if a single button(s) on a keyboard are broken, then it would warrant a new keyboard altogether.

Good luck whatever path you choose.

That's definitely the better idea, you also can keep all the parts you don't use for the repair, you should be abler to keep it going indefinitely! :)

Can pick up a really nice new Asus or Toshiba for under $1300 now.

B52's prices are pretty optimistic too, esp. with the way the exchange rate is at the moment. You'd probably be looking at significantly more for the LCD, they sting you with replacement parts.

Bantu
16-12-2008, 07:28 AM
With my old laptop I got the same make/model off Trademe and made one of the two, then sold the rest of the bits on Trademe again, covered my costs to repair a screen.

pctek
16-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Ask:

Phone 09-9846909
Fax 09-9846906
E-Mail enquiry@techcentral.co.nz

Sick Puppy
16-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey PCTek, thanks for that- funnily enough they were the people I rang using ASUS' 0800 number, and their service was a darn sight better than what I've gotten in the past too! :thumbs:

Bear in mind guys (B52, Wratterus) that barring the cracked bezel, both lappies work fine, just when you compare them, it's obvious who's taken better care of theirs! Bantu, Yeah, I'd looked on Trademe, didn't see much resembling ours, but that's a matter of waiting I guess

Well, as I said, I rang them- Bezel is $50 (about right- I can live with that!), Keyboard is $100- a bit much, but again I can live with that... hinges are $80/110, inclusive of labour and GST. I'll sort these missus when I see her tonight... in the meantime I'm following up on the lappie repairers- cheers everyone!