PDA

View Full Version : Reduced performance since installing Zonealarm & Avast

cumberbuzzle08
13-12-2008, 07:30 PM
I recently uninstalled McAfee and Spybot/Adaware, and replaced them with Zonealarm and Avast.

Since then my internet connection locks up every half hour or so. When this happens my browsers cease downloading or stop responding altogether, as does my torrent client. All I can do is reboot the system and start the cycle over again.

Moreeover, shutting down the system now takes noticeably longer than it did before.

Zonealarm frequently blocks incoming access requests to my computer. I'm accessing the internet through a wireless router that I share with my flatmates.

hope someone can help, i'd rather not change my firewall/antiV/antispyware combo again...

GameJunkie
13-12-2008, 07:37 PM
disable all functions (antivirus protection, web filter) on ZoneAlarm, keeping only the firewall option enabled. this is what could be causing the problem

cumberbuzzle08
13-12-2008, 08:23 PM
disable all functions (antivirus protection, web filter) on ZoneAlarm, keeping only the firewall option enabled.

what about (outbound) program control?
barring that and inbound email attachment protection, everything's already off

i'm using the ZA internet security suite. By web filter you mean the parental control function?

jwil1
13-12-2008, 08:25 PM
How much RAM do you have?

Blam
13-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Easy fix-Switch to Comodo, never will have problems with comodo, hard to configure though

mabix
13-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Just a Quick Question-

If you have an all in one suite like ZoneAlarm Internet Security, why do you have Avast installed? More than one AntiVirus can cause conflicts.

To be honest, AVG suffices with Windows Firewall. I would say Norton Internet Security 2009 (My Favourite) but if I did I foresee a stream of hate mail heading my way...

pctek
13-12-2008, 10:04 PM
I recently uninstalled McAfee and Spybot/Adaware, and replaced them with Zonealarm and Avast.

SPybot does SPYWARE.
Avast/McAfee do VIRUSES.

USe online Armour for a firewall, or use Comodo but that isn't anywhere near as friendly.
Both free so no costs involved.
Avast is fine.
And do a SPYWARE scan, get Malware Bytes as well as SPybot (also free).

mabix
13-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Windows Defender is also excellent :)

Blam
13-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Windows Defender is also excellent :)

Uh...I find every anti-spyware app that isn't Windows defender is better than windows defender. Its even worse on vista

Blam
13-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Just a Quick Question-

If you have an all in one suite like ZoneAlarm Internet Security, why do you have Avast installed? More than one AntiVirus can cause conflicts.

To be honest, AVG suffices with Windows Firewall. I would say Norton Internet Security 2009 (My Favourite) but if I did I foresee a stream of hate mail heading my way...

He probably means ZA Firewall, not the full Internet Security Suite.

Norton will probably be suffice for the average user, but I know from experience that it misses many infections that freeware AV apps pick up.

mabix
13-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Uh...I find every anti-spyware app that isn't Windows defender is better than windows defender. Its even worse on vista

Windows Defemder has worked perfectly fine on many computers that I've installed it on- Most people like the fact that it's a part of windows and has lesser hassels, and with it's attractive and easy-to-follow UI, it wins over the average user. A product that intergrates so well into the widest used platform in the world shouldn't be thrown out straight away. The same goes with Windows Firewall- and when you can have so many apps intergrated into the Operating System Front it makes the experience much more streamlined and smoother. I try to treat every user as if they want the easiest, most hassel free way possible, as this usually ends up working the best. And there's nothing wrong with the products that Microsoft put out. No product is perfect, but it's not like Windows Defender is going to let through anything bad, and whatever it doesn't pick up i'm sure AVG will.

I would say that 90% of the People that run XP use Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and some antivirus program. They know that they need the antivirus program, but I would bet that out of that 90%, 85% or even more wouldn't have a clue about what spyware or a firewall is.

He probably means ZA Firewall, not the full Internet Security Suite.

Norton will probably be suffice for the average user, but I know from experience that it misses many infections that freeware AV apps pick up.

Well..

i'm using the ZA internet security suite. By web filter you mean the parental control function?

Norton 2009 is an entire different flavour, and people continuouslly bash it without trying it. Experience with 2008 was terrible, i'd be one of the first people to admit that, but 2009 takes things to a whole new level of competitivness, getting high scored reviews right across the web. Heck, it's close enough to NOD32, and kicks butt in the value for money area for a paid antivirus.

cumberbuzzle08
14-12-2008, 02:35 AM
How much RAM do you have?

1GB. I'm running WinVista and ZA internet security suite (on trial), but with everything turned off except the firewall and email attachment filtering.

Another weird thing is that when i stop getting download traffic with firefox, I can sometimes continue to use IE for a while before that stops too and I have to reset

Speedy Gonzales
14-12-2008, 06:09 AM
If it stops you from using browsers as well (after so long), you cant go to any sites.

Its probably one of ZA's services stopping. This used to happen with older versions of ZA (cant remember if the IS version did this tho)

The only way to fix it was to restart its proxy service in services.

One reason why I got rid of it years ago. It started to get annoying

Digby
14-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Hey Guys,

He wants to use Avast and Zone Alarm !

I have this combo with no probs and I am sure millions of others do.

Lets try to help him get these 2 going. don't keep suggesting other programs.

I would suggest uninstalling Zone Alarm IS suite and installing ZoneAlarm Firewall Free.
That would eliminate some things.

gary67
14-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Hey Guys,

I would suggest uninstalling Zone Alarm IS suite and installing ZoneAlarm Firewall Free.

X2 sound advice

mabix
14-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Hey Guys,

As long as he didn't pay for the Internet Security Suite..:confused:

chocolate2006
14-12-2008, 05:40 PM

Since then my internet connection locks up every half hour or so. When this happens my browsers cease downloading or stop responding altogether, as does my torrent client. All I can do is reboot the system and start the cycle over again.

Moreeover, shutting down the system now takes noticeably longer than it did before.

Zonealarm frequently blocks incoming access requests to my computer. I'm accessing the internet through a wireless router that I share with my flatmates.

hope someone can help, i'd rather not change my firewall/antiV/antispyware combo again...

I had the same issue, it was Zone Alarm. It's default is to Lock after 30mins or so, you have to change the settings.

cumberbuzzle08
14-12-2008, 11:18 PM
I had the same issue, it was Zone Alarm. It's default is to Lock after 30mins or so, you have to change the settings.

automatic internet lock in ZA is disabled, but the problem persists. Sometimes it takes a lot less than 30 mins to lock...

gary67
15-12-2008, 06:41 AM
It could be something set in the trial mode. I run Avast and ZA on a couple of my XP machines here no problems but only the ZA free firewall

cumberbuzzle08
15-12-2008, 06:46 PM
It could be something set in the trial mode. I run Avast and ZA on a couple of my XP machines here no problems but only the ZA free firewall

i'll try that then. I've uninstalled the trial ZA suite and hey presto, all problems gone.