PDA

View Full Version : Need graphics card cooling

almightynugget
10-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Hey i needed to know what kind of cooling i would need for my graphics card to run without crashing. in the middle of playing crysis WARHEAD with the shader, textures and postprocessing set to enthusiast it crahses after a while and i got it down to cooling problems.

So the question is what type of cooling will i need.

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
GPU: Inno 3D 9800GT
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
RAM: 4GB DDR2

wainuitech
10-12-2008, 08:04 AM
I Assume This is the card (http://www.inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gf9/9800gt.htm) ?? If so make sure the heat sink is not covered in dirt / dust, Aslo make sure there is a clear airflow from the Case intakes, over the Card, and the exhaust fans - NO Cables, just hanging about blocking the air passage. Neat cabling is not just for looks.

You may need to have a front Fan Sucking in Fresh air - and a larger fan exhausting it. Make sure there is enough room around the case as well, so the air can get in and exit - seen many cases jammed in tight area's with little or no air flow.

kersonan
10-12-2008, 08:05 AM
*beaten while typing lol*

Might I ask what makes you think its cooling?

Typically for heating issues, I tend to start with the basics, how is the machine placed, can it be moved to expose its air intakes to better air flow. make sure that if your case has filters that they are clean and free from dust. Whats the temp like in the room that the machine is in?

What can you do inside the case to improve airflow, can you tidy the cables up to get them out of the way of airflow?

almightynugget
15-12-2008, 10:30 AM
heys guys sorry for late reply.
my pc is on top of a desk in the garage there is a window behaind it.
There is a hnadspan gap from the back of my pc to the wall.
the side is open as it is more prone to giving me an error while it is closed (thats how i figured out it was cooling) and yes that is the graphics card - wainuitech.
My cabling could be part of the problem i will clear it up and get rid of unwanted cables.

My tower is a Thermaltake MATRIX http://www.petrmacek.com/wp-content/thermaltake-matrix-2.jpg
It has a 12cm fan in the front and a 6cm fan at the back and a stock cpu fan.
The graphics card has no dust on it whatsoever but the cpu exhaust fans have minor dust after vacuuming it. But the front one has quite a bit i need to remove the front of the case and vacuum it. Ill do this immediately. Ill reply with the results

Thebananamonkey
15-12-2008, 12:25 PM
See if you can get a bigger exhaust fan, that may help.

I'd be tempted to RMA the card if it's crashing at stock clocks.

qazwsxokmijn
15-12-2008, 12:33 PM
What are the temps? You don't need to play a game to find out its max temp at full load. Download Atitool and run its 3D view, which loads the GPU to about 95% for about 15 minutes. You can monitor the temps with GPUz, also a free program.

If you really need a fan, I recommend a SilenX 12cm fan. The ones that are 3.8cm thick (as opposed to 2.5cm standard ones). They are just wonderful - the best does 90 CFM at only 18dBa. Many people think that's bullcrap, but I've felt one at work and I certainly believe they have the best airflow at that whisper noise. They are expensive, though - $46 for the non-LED 90CFM 18 dBa model.

tweak'e
15-12-2008, 12:39 PM
well first thing here is monitor the actual temps. most graphics have temp sensors and also check the mobo temp. if mobo temp is high then its most likely a case cooling issue.

60mm rear fan sounds odd. sure its not a 70mm or 80mm ?
how many spare fan locations does it have?
are the fans blowing the right way?

almightynugget
15-12-2008, 04:39 PM
ok to answer your questions

yes the fans are blowing the right way. Ok maybe 70 or 80mm i just pulled 60mm outa my ass mostly 70mm i think cos it looks like its half the size if the fan in the front

I cant check my temps because none of the programs read my GPU temp i have no idea why but i posted about it here a while back but nothing worked. I cant even change the fan speed no program works.. seriously annoying

$46? cool dude i can work it off for a few hours.

And what type of fan can i get to change my current one on my graphics card? i can c 4 screw things on the top/bottom of it so it should be switchable. My GPU is in the link from WAINUITECH'S post.

And i am 100% sure its the temps

almightynugget
18-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Ok after a few days of testing out for cooling with crysis WARHEAD set to enthusiast settings i am able to say that the current cooling i have doesnt work.

I have to leave my pc open on one side and have a table fan running to cool down the graphics card.

The only problem now is that i will be needing a good cooling system for my pc.
not anything hardcore like water-cooling but just enough so that i can increase my clock speeds a bit too.

What would you guys suggest?

Blam
19-12-2008, 12:14 AM
http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=345591

Seems good enough

Thebananamonkey
19-12-2008, 08:37 AM
And get some decent sized exhaust fans.

And tell us if your card is new or not, because you really shouldn't be having this problem. RMA should be a serious option.

tweak'e
19-12-2008, 12:21 PM
I have to leave my pc open on one side and have a table fan running to cool down the graphics card.

sounds more like case cooling problem. if it was the vid card it still wouldn't be cool even with the table fan.

almightynugget
19-12-2008, 08:15 PM
....And tell us if your card is new or not....

yea quite new.. well its a few months old.. got it when it was released on my trip to ozzie. 2 days before ATi 4850 hit the market.

and i will be buying a bigger and better exhaust fan and a CPU fan to replace the stock one. Thanks for helping me out with this issue. Really appreciate it guys :thumbs:

Thebananamonkey
19-12-2008, 09:54 PM
yea quite new.. well its a few months old.. got it when it was released on my trip to ozzie. 2 days before ATi 4850 hit the market.

and i will be buying a bigger and better exhaust fan and a CPU fan to replace the stock one. Thanks for helping me out with this issue. Really appreciate it guys :thumbs:

It's a shame that you can't monitor the temps, because I'd seriously consider sending it back to the factory.

You have to realise that no two chips are the same. In overclocking CPU's you may get yours to 3.5Ghz@50C stable, with your friend having high temps and instability on exactly the same model chip. It's the same with your GPU. At least send the manufacturer or the place you bought it an email and see what they're prepared to do.

If you're not OCing then I can't imagine that a bigger CPU heatsink is going to do much for graphics card issues. The exhaust fan may do that though.

supersi
19-12-2008, 09:58 PM
What are the temps? You don't need to play a game to find out its max temp at full load. Download Atitool and run its 3D view, which loads the GPU to about 95% for about 15 minutes. You can monitor the temps with GPUz, also a free program.

If you really need a fan, I recommend a SilenX 12cm fan. The ones that are 3.8cm thick (as opposed to 2.5cm standard ones). They are just wonderful - the best does 90 CFM at only 18dBa. Many people think that's bullcrap, but I've felt one at work and I certainly believe they have the best airflow at that whisper noise. They are expensive, though - $46 for the non-LED 90CFM 18 dBa model.

I have an ATi 4850. What is the safe temp operating range? Mine frequently hits 81 C. I have to crank the gpu fan up to 75% (too noisy) to get the temp down to around 70 C.

qazwsxokmijn
19-12-2008, 11:28 PM
I have an ATi 4850. What is the safe temp operating range? Mine frequently hits 81 C. I have to crank the gpu fan up to 75% (too noisy) to get the temp down to around 70 C.
81c is absolutely fine. GPUs can actually withstand 100c (I think 120 is when fuses start to blow). The 4850 is just a downclocked and undervolted 4870 running GDDR3 instead of GDDR5. My 4870 frequently hits 83c (32% fan speed) on hot summer days. Even 90+ is not unheard of.

memphis
20-12-2008, 01:22 AM
Yeah decent case cooling 120mm fan at the front of the case to bring in the cool fresh air and 120mm fan at the rear of the case to take out the hot air out of the case.

And if you can put a fan on the side case panel to blow cool air directly onto your graphic card to cool it down and to provide cool fresh air for it to use as well.
120mm fan if you can or whatever size your side case panel will allow will help out as well.

I have taken out the slot covers on the rear of my case to allow heat to escape from there as well to stop the heat from staying around my graphics card and heating up around there.-(I keep the case slot covers in a draw).

And have it off the floor as well and make sure there is no junk/stuff blocking the case fans and make sure it has a decent gap from the wall or whatever it is up against.

You can also get dual slot graphic cards that exhust their hot air directly out of the case.

There is also after market graphic card coolers as well that are very good for cooling.

And you can also get slot fan coolers as well to either take out the hot air from around the graphics card or to blow air at the graphics card.