PDA

View Full Version : Complete N00bie....How to Connect 2 Pcs 2gether...

WestMclaren2004
09-12-2008, 11:41 PM
I want to connect my 2 pcs together. The Main one has a broadband connection + a WiFi enabled motherboard..

Can i connect it via Wireless? in terms of sharing broadband and data together

Please help, i have absolutely no idea how...

FoxyMX
10-12-2008, 08:12 AM
You need a wireless modem and a wireless access point on the computer to be able to connect wirelessly.

What type of computers do you have? Desktop? Laptop?

WestMclaren2004
10-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Two desktops....

So one just has to have a wireless adapter , while the other can be the "access point"?

Speedy Gonzales
10-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Two desktops....

So one just has to have a wireless adapter , while the other can be the "access point"?

Yup, but the other (which acts as the access point). Needs to have a wireless modem router connected to it (which also supports or has an AP on it)

Chilling_Silence
10-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Both need to have wireless adapters, and you generally need a Wireless Acess Point / Router too, to share your Internet.

Whilst its technically possible to link the two of them together without a Router, and share the internet, its not the easiest thing in the world by any stretch of the imagination, so I'd personally just buy a wireless router for like $50
See here: http://www.pricespy.co.nz/search.php?q=Asus+WL-520gc

Safari
10-12-2008, 09:10 AM
You can save yourself a lot of problems trying to get two units to work together if you just buy a new wireless modem/router combined.

A lot of places also give a free USB wireless adapter with it which your other computer will need if it does not have wireless.

Something like this is what you need
Dynalink RTA1025W Premium ADSL2+ Wireless 802.11g 4-port Router
with Dynalink DYWUK54 54Mbps Wireless LAN USB Adapter

wainuitech
10-12-2008, 09:50 AM
You did mention Wireless - which is fine, but does it have to be wireless - its a lot less hassle,and more secure if they are connected Via Ethernet cables ??

Blam
10-12-2008, 10:32 AM
I want to connect my 2 pcs together. The Main one has a broadband connection + a WiFi enabled motherboard..

Can i connect it via Wireless? in terms of sharing broadband and data together

Please help, i have absolutely no idea how...

Buy the asus router Chill suggested, as its easy to set-up and cheap too.

As chill mentioned, its possible to share internet through an ad-hoc network, the router would be the better option for you.

When you mean data, do you mean a folder that can be accessed anywhere across a network?

Cheers
Blam

WestMclaren2004
10-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Yeah, i would like both pcs to access files with each other, and share a wireless connection.