PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot

Bussani
09-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Sorry about starting another ISP thread, but does anyone use Slingshot or have anything good or bad to say about it? Apparently they used to be fast, but I haven't heard good things about them lately. Their price/allowance seems second in value only to Xtra though and I'm tempted by their free off-peak.

Bantu
10-12-2008, 06:49 AM
Never heard anything good about them the entire time they have been in business.

Strommer
10-12-2008, 06:53 AM
Slingshot has been OK for me. 2500 / 128 confirmed by speed tests, but it is slower in the evenings. Do a search here on PF1 - I think PF1ers prefer Xnet.

What are the details with free off-peak?

pctek
10-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Everything I have heard has been negative. My neighbour is with them, she spends a lot of time on the phone with them having arguments. She can't wait for her 12 months to be up.

GameJunkie
10-12-2008, 09:20 AM
weren't they the ones handing out free bread in wellington??? :D

Bussani
10-12-2008, 12:44 PM
What are the details with free off-peak?

I think it was something like free internet between 1am and 7am. Xnet's torrent plan sounds more tempting, I'm just not sure about the speed and cost. My connection with xtra right now is about 4000 down and 750 up, so I'm not sure if I should just be happy with what I've got rather than tempt fate by trying something else. :waughh:

Cptn Hotshot
10-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Slingshot works fine for me. Have never had to contact them since I moved to them 18months ago. Internet has worked without hiccup in all that time. My decision to move to them was determined by their 6GB Fullspeed/128 plan + their toll call charges .... all which suit me fine, especially their $3/2hr charge for calls to USA, Canada & UK and no contract. At the time, Ihug & Telecom were so much more expensive for similar and also required buying "packages" which I did not need.

limepile
11-12-2008, 05:55 AM
I've been with them about 4 years...hated them for ages, but got over it. The help desk is notoriously hard to contact, had a couple of instances where I knew more than the tech on the phone, and the speed varies a bit. The Best thing is their Bandwidth allocation, it allows you to top up if you need to...(I don't because I still have an old plan, 25gigs a month....that they no longer offer...)10 gigs for $10 etc, and the off peak free data .I have no experience with anyone other than xtra, but looking around Slingshot are the best value for my money.
Hope this helps.

Cicero
11-12-2008, 08:33 AM
I hope we can find the best ISP from this.

Must say Telecom is looking good since Miss Wonderful departed.

JJJJJ
11-12-2008, 08:47 AM
All I want is somewhere I can download and upload at 7pm at the same speed I can at 7am. I suspect telecom will never let us have that.
What annoys me is why don't business connections get the same speed drops that private users do?

I find it ridiculous having to get up at 4 am if I want to do a large load.

Cicero
11-12-2008, 09:15 AM
All I want is somewhere I can download and upload at 7pm at the same speed I can at 7am. I suspect telecom will never let us have that.
What annoys me is why don't business connections get the same speed drops that private users do?

Are you saying you are a late riser?

TideMan
11-12-2008, 07:54 PM

Mmmmm
Out of context, that sentence has interesting connotations................

Cicero
11-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Are you saying you are a late riser?

So could this,but I couldn' possibly comment.

Krad
12-12-2008, 09:47 AM
I've been with Slingshot since they started and had excellent service first with dial up and then with broadband. Prices are competitive, toll calls cheap, and technical support via phone prompt and spot on. I recommend them.

Blam
12-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Mmmmm
Out of context, that sentence has interesting connotations................

Tideman...you are one sick bastard

:lol:

pcuser7895
12-12-2008, 08:39 PM
I've been with them about 4 years...hated them for ages, but got over it. The help desk is notoriously hard to contact, had a couple of instances where I knew more than the tech on the phone, and the speed varies a bit. The Best thing is their Bandwidth allocation, it allows you to top up if you need to...(I don't because I still have an old plan, 25gigs a month....that they no longer offer...)10 gigs for $10 etc, and the off peak free data .I have no experience with anyone other than xtra, but looking around Slingshot are the best value for my money.
Hope this helps.

Just wat i was going to say