PDA

View Full Version : Blurry Screen

esayolay
09-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Hey i just installed XP on my brothers computer (Compaq Presario V2000). The install was fine, but the screen is very blurry, and the screen flashes when i scroll. also the external mouse doesn't work. so i think some of the drivers may be missing. How can i fix this problem? Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Try reading your previous thread

esayolay
09-12-2008, 07:21 PM
I tried and it didnt work.

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Somehow I dont think anyone is going to answer. And the same thing will happen with this thread, it'll get locked

jwil1
09-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Try installing a legal copy of XP.

esayolay
09-12-2008, 07:34 PM
I didn't say anything illegal. Neither was the other one. It was just a customized n-lite install. But the people here are too narrow minded and automatically think that it's illegal. Can someone please just try and help me? :|

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Well why didnt you say you used Nlite

If you have just installed XP, you have to install the chipset, LAN, Sound, video drivers

If that doesnt work, you probably missed something out, when you removed whatever programs

Did any errors pop up , after it had compressed the files etc you added??

GameJunkie
09-12-2008, 07:44 PM
it is , use a legal copy of XP and customize the install options from the disc and then people might be willing to help you.

esayolay
09-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Where do i get then Drivers? Ive tried a couple from the HP site but they don't work.
Blam, What was that idea you had... that is, before it got deleted by jen...
Nice forum btw ;)

stormdragon
09-12-2008, 07:45 PM
I didn't say anything illegal. Neither was the other one. It was just a customized n-lite install. But the people here are too narrow minded and automatically think that it's illegal. Can someone please just try and help me? :|

In the other thread you specifically state it was tinyxp not an nlite install.

I selected option 3 (TinyXP without IE/OE/WMP with added driver packs)
This in definitely not nlited XP then is it?
As you have been told tinyxp is illegal.

Plus calling members of the forum narrow minded isn't going to encourage them to help you!

esayolay
09-12-2008, 07:46 PM
it is , use a legal copy of XP and customize the install options from the disc and then people might be willing to help you.

Wtf? Thats totally relevant... I kinda did use a legal copy of XP.
Read the whole thing next time. :)

esayolay
09-12-2008, 07:49 PM
I thought you could just use TinyXP as an abbreviation... as in a Tinyier Version of XP. It seems not.
Although it does seem like you guys know alot about it ;)

Is someone going to help me or not...?

jwil1
09-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Is someone going to help me or not...?

Sorry mate, but I'm not sure if anyone believes your copy of XP is legal :)

If it is legal, take a photo of the COA (showing the first five characters of the product key) to prove us wrong..... :)

GameJunkie
09-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Wtf? Thats totally relevant... I kinda did use a legal copy of XP.

kinda and did are two different things

esayolay
09-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Sorry mate, but I'm not sure if anyone believes your copy of XP is legal :)

If it is legal, take a photo of the COA (showing the first five characters of the product key) to prove us wrong..... :)

You guys are bloody fantastic. :) sure to come here again.
I don't have a digital camera. Getting one for Christmas thou :)

kinda and did are two different things

Well understood. Still, no relevance....
Maybe you've being playing too many games

Don't worry. I'll go somewhere else for help. I'm sure the minute risk of helping someone with illegal software by far outweighs what someone might gain from it.
Oh and by the way, my thread about CHMODing the files (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=94372), was actually for illegal purposes. Nice Spotting ;)

GameJunkie
09-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Don't worry. I'll go somewhere else for help. I'm sure the minute risk of helping someone with illegal software by far outweighs what someone might gain from it.
Oh and by the way, my thread about CHMODing the files (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=94372), was actually for illegal purposes. Nice Spotting ;)[/QUOTE]

that will get you banned

esayolay
09-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Oh and by the way, my thread about CHMODing the files (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=94372), was actually for illegal purposes. Nice Spotting ;)

that will get you banned

I hope it does.
But then again, Most people wont believe me. For all you know, i could be making it up :)

wainuitech
09-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Lets assume for a moment that you do have a Legit COA - Since you said it was a HP, then there should be a COA on the Case - Easy way to find out what the problem is - if the XP is legal - and you have the XP CD - and being HP they wouldn't supply a XP CD, they supply Recovery CD's which are different , install that in its entirety - Don't use Nlite - then get the right drivers and see if the screen is any better - if it is then maybe you removed something with nlite that is causing the problem.

Where do i get then Drivers? Ive tried a couple from the HP site but they don't work Whats the model of HP computer you have - if you provide the model then someone can direct to the correct drivers.

jwil1
09-12-2008, 08:42 PM
You guys are bloody fantastic. :) sure to come here again.

We are more than happy to help you, if you can prove we are helping you with legit software :)

Blam
09-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Wt-Yours brains still gone:D
Says in the first post that he has a Compaq Presario V2000

esayolay
09-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Lets assume for a moment that you do have a Legit COA - Since you said it was a HP, then there should be a COA on the Case - Easy way to find out what the problem is - if the XP is legal - and you have the XP CD - and being HP they wouldn't supply a XP CD, they supply Recovery CD's which are different , install that in its entirety - Don't use Nlite - then get the right drivers and see if the screen is any better - if it is then maybe you removed something with nlite that is causing the problem.

Whats the model of HP computer you have - if you provide the model then someone can direct to the correct drivers.

As below:

Says in the first post that he has a Compaq Presario V2000

Quite Right.

We are more than happy to help you, if you can prove we are helping you with legit software :)

No one else has to. But i suppose that's cool...

wainuitech
09-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Says in the first post that he has a Compaq Presario V2000:waughh: Just finished doing a 14 hour day, only just got in - AND just got a new BIGGER LCD today to much space to look at every thing :p - eyes half asleep - According to HP the V2000 is a Notebook - - 62 to select from (http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=nz&cc=nz&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R785-1&h_pagetype=s-002&h_query=Presario+V2000&submit.x=8&submit.y=8) but Try these (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=nz&lang=en&product=500508)

wainuitech
09-12-2008, 09:20 PM
As below:

Quite Right.

Errr well you have been told how to fix it - if you don't want to listen then thats your choice.

beeswax34
09-12-2008, 10:47 PM

No one has to prove that they have legit software they need help with cos they don't ask for help with illegal software and then admit it.

Obey the forum rules (which you've read and agreed to) and we'll help you all you want.

Rob99
10-12-2008, 12:54 AM
. also the external mouse doesn't work.

What other type of mouse is there?

gary67
10-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Well it is a notebook so should have a built in mouse. Seriously Esayolay I would try Wainui's ideas first as he is always right

esayolay
10-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Well it is a notebook so should have a built in mouse. Seriously Esayolay I would try Wainui's ideas first as he is always right

Well actually i've being wasting all my time trying to get everyone to help me. If i want help i have to fight for it around here, which does take a lot of time.

In addition, i did know the inbuilt mouse was there :waughh: but i prefer to use an external mouse (like most people, i suspect).

What other type of mouse is there?

Just a normal Windows Mouse. Red laser one.

No one has to prove that they have legit software they need help with cos they don't ask for help with illegal software and then admit it.

Obey the forum rules (which you've read and agreed to) and we'll help you all you want.

I did obey them.

Errr well you have been told how to fix it - if you don't want to listen then thats your choice.

For the few people that actually have tried to help me, i have replied.

:waughh: Just finished doing a 14 hour day, only just got in - AND just got a new BIGGER LCD today to much space to look at every thing :p - eyes half asleep - According to HP the V2000 is a Notebook - - 62 to select from (http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=nz&cc=nz&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R785-1&h_pagetype=s-002&h_query=Presario+V2000&submit.x=8&submit.y=8) but Try these (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=nz&lang=en&product=500508)

Thank you. I've tried the drivers on there but i have been unsuccessful. Maybe they are made for the recovery CD, for upgrades etc?
Also, in response to your previous post, I do not wish to use the full XP (with all the pre-installed software that comes with it) as the specs on the computer aren't too high.

wainuitech
10-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Also, in response to your previous post, I do not wish to use the full XP (with all the pre-installed software that comes with it) as the specs on the computer aren't too high Windows XP on its own does not have a lot of crap, it does have a few items that are not required, but if you have recovery CD's from HP then they will have added items that slow things down - the two are totally different. If the laptop is low in specifications then it would be better to upgrade the Laptop, than to take out important components of XP.

If you have recovery CD's and Not an actual XP CD, then they are not designed to be altered, sure you can - but its not a good idea.

The whole Idea behind putting in a full XP with the correct drivers is to see (no pun intended) if every thing works as it should as standard - if it does then you alter things - if it doesn't then there is a possible hardware problem.

Doing thing half hearted gets nowhere - only Leeds to frustration.

MushHead
10-12-2008, 08:20 AM
There's always the option of using the recovery CD's & then immediately un-installing any of the HP-supplied c**p you don't want...

This may seem a bit obvious to many, but - what I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is what resolution XP is using at the moment (in Display Properties) vs what resolution your LCD panel is (1280x800 or whatever). That's the most common cause of a "blurry" display.

The main issue is still that your gfx drivers should be able to pick the LCD resolution automatically & use that by default. Otherwise, it's as Wainui says - there may be a hardware issue.

Blam
10-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Have you tried turning down hardware acceleration down a notch or 2?
Right click desktop>Properties>Settings Tab>Advanced>troubleshoot tab

Can you explain how the external mouse "doesn't" work?
Any errors in device manager?
Check if the "plug and play" service is running, if not, start the service and set it to automatic
Run>services.msc

esayolay
10-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Windows XP on its own does not have a lot of crap, it does have a few items that are not required, but if you have recovery CD's from HP then they will have added items that slow things down - the two are totally different. If the laptop is low in specifications then it would be better to upgrade the Laptop, than to take out important components of XP.

If you have recovery CD's and Not an actual XP CD, then they are not designed to be altered, sure you can - but its not a good idea.

The whole Idea behind putting in a full XP with the correct drivers is to see (no pun intended) if every thing works as it should as standard - if it does then you alter things - if it doesn't then there is a possible hardware problem.

Doing thing half hearted gets nowhere - only Leeds to frustration.

I Have the recovery CD and a XP CD. There are no vital features taken out of the n-lite installation, just a few unnecessary things that will probably slow the computer down.
I just need to get the Display to work properly, and also the mouse.
Getting a new laptop costs a lot of money, and is quite unnecessary, as this computer is only used for word processing and internet browsing, which when i use it, i want it to be stable and fast, with no unnecessary junk.

There's always the option of using the recovery CD's & then immediately un-installing any of the HP-supplied c**p you don't want...

This may seem a bit obvious to many, but - what I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is what resolution XP is using at the moment (in Display Properties) vs what resolution your LCD panel is (1280x800 or whatever). That's the most common cause of a "blurry" display.

The main issue is still that your gfx drivers should be able to pick the LCD resolution automatically & use that by default. Otherwise, it's as Wainui says - there may be a hardware issue.

As i said, i do not need most of the features in windows, and just want a fast reliable computer to perform a few functions. Even if you uninstall the bundled software, it still leaves traces and can still keep your computer slow.
I have changed all the display settings to fit the screen.
The display settings were way off before, and the max res is only 1024x768 (to which it is set). I'm sure the 15.4" screen has more pixels than that.
If there is a hardware issue, how can i fix it?

Have you tried turning down hardware acceleration down a notch or 2?
Right click desktop>Properties>Settings Tab>Advanced>troubleshoot tab

Can you explain how the external mouse "doesn't" work?
Any errors in device manager?
Check if the "plug and play" service is running, if not, start the service and set it to automatic
Run>services.msc

I've tried the hardware acceleration trick with no luck.
When i plug the mouse in it comes up with the new found hardware wizard. When i attempt to search on the internet it doesn't find any drivers.
There are some errors in Dev. Mgr. which i will upload a screen shot of asap.
UPnP is running and automatic.

Hope this helps

wainuitech
10-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Getting a new laptop costs a lot of money, and is quite unnecessary, as this computer is only used for word processing and internet browsing, which when i use it, i want it to be stable and fast, with no unnecessary junk.
I was referring to more RAM - quite cheap, and easy to install.

Generally speaking, even with the recovery CD's as mentioned before, you can rip out all the HP crap, which will speed things up.

Once you can post the device manager shot it may give some light to the problem.

I assume when you installed XP you put in the chipset drivers first, before any other drivers ?

If not then that could be half the problem - its under "Operating System - Enhancements and QFEs" on the linked site to the drivers I posted earlier on.

esayolay
10-12-2008, 01:19 PM
I was referring to more RAM - quite cheap, and easy to install.

Generally speaking, even with the recovery CD's as mentioned before, you can rip out all the HP crap, which will speed things up.

Once you can post the device manager shot it may give some light to the problem.

I assume when you installed XP you put in the chipset drivers first, before any other drivers ?

If not then that could be half the problem - its under "Operating System - Enhancements and QFEs" on the linked site to the drivers I posted earlier on.

I don't want RAM. The processor is shocking and is what is letting the system down. It would cost lots to upgrade i imagine.
If you can Rip out the stuff from the Compaq Disc, how do you do it?
I found something on the internet to install the drivers so far automatically, so i dont know which ones it did first.
I've tried one of those QFEs, but they didnt work, and they dont have anything for SP3 which is what i'm using.

The screenshot of Device Manager can be found at:
http://www.photohost.biz/files/qia47nyfzkgilh3a83s.png (With the mouse Plugged in)
Also The the bottom right is what comes up when you plug in the mouse.

Note that the screen on the laptop is a 15.4" wide screen, while it easily fits on my tiny 12.1" Wide screen.

And yes, i know the time is a bit odd :p

wainuitech
10-12-2008, 01:47 PM
According to HP your model has Intel 82582/82855 GM/GME garphic drivers - This here (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=922&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Home+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go%21) is the intel drivers, direct from Intel- if these dont work then god knows what will.

The PCI Modem - obvious - should be the modem drivers from HP, there are two in the site posted earlier - one should work.

Mass Storage Controller - could be the Media card Reader driver

The Unknown Device - could be one of the touchpad drivers.

Those drivers on the HP site are all original Drivers, and should work.

Since you put in SP3 that could be the problem - the drivers are old and may not be compatible with SP3.

If the drivers above dont work - you would be better off installing the original recovery CD version, ripping out the HP crap you dont want. Then upgrading to SP3 Via windows updates.

BTW: those programs you mentioned
I found something on the internet to install the drivers so far automatically, so I dont know which ones it did first can be a total waste of time and cause more problems than they solve.

Old story - do the job right the first time and save time in the long run.Taking shortcuts doesn't always pay off.

cortina1974
10-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Depending on the age of the pc windows xp service pack 2 or 3 may have the drivers for it. Go into device manager and see whats got a ! beside it those are whats missing in the driver department. You may have to install the full version of xp

esayolay
10-12-2008, 01:53 PM
OK Thanks Guys.
I'm sure that will fix it, and if not, ill just have to use the HP Recovery CD.
:)

esayolay
10-12-2008, 02:09 PM
http://www.photohost.biz/files/dko3c313fwbcfc188qv.png
When i try to install the Intel Drivers that happens.
:groan:

As i said before:
If you can Rip out the stuff from the Compaq [Or HP] Disc, how do you do it?

:thanks

wainuitech
10-12-2008, 02:21 PM
1 of 3 things that message means -

bad Download - corrupted
The chipset drivers may not be installed fully / correctly
Try disabling your Nod32 - right click on the icon in the icon tray - Select Disable antivirus and antispyware protection

last Question - install the recovery CD as is, HP crap and all - then after every thing is working, as it will load the correct drivers - go into add/remove programs and start removing the unrequired software

esayolay
10-12-2008, 02:31 PM
1 of 3 things that message means -

bad Download - corrupted
The chipset drivers may not be installed fully / correctly
Try disabling your Nod32 - right click on the icon in the icon tray - Select Disable antivirus and antispyware protection

last Question - install the recovery CD as is, HP crap and all - then after every thing is working, as it will load the correct drivers - go into add/remove programs and start removing the unrequired software

OK i'll try downloading it again and re-trying w/o Nod32. I dont think corruption would be the problem though. I used flashgot to d'l it and it would have probably screwed up before i got to that stage.

I though there was some way to get the useless software of the disc before installing... or is it some kind of image that it just copies on?
I understand you can easily remove it later, but as i said before it still leaves traces etc and makes it slower.

Blam
10-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Do the download without the download manager-they sometime's corrupt files.

wainuitech
10-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Regarding the recovery CD - depending on how they loaded it will depend on how its installed - sometimes they have it auto installed, other times they have it set so it installs and you have to click agree / install etc.

The HP stuff will be embedded - usually removing it after wards is the safest, then you run Ccleaner, tell it to scan the reg, and remove any traces it finds.

Once that is done, anything that may be left over will have so little effect I wouldn't worry about it - if the PC is so underpowered that any traces will affect it noticeably then even running an AV will be a strain.

esayolay
10-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Yeah ok. Anyways, I've just installed XP SP2. Still Same Problems. I tried the system enhancement thing which worked, but hasn't really changed anything. Still same thing with Device Management. Audio Not working now. Drivers not installing. Screen still blurred. What do i do?