PDA

View Full Version : Need to find which program is chaning my registry...

hairyfil
09-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Hey all,

I got a new laptop about 4 months ago with Vista installed. I've been running Vista on my desktop since it went retail. Now I have hit a problem that I jsut can't get around.

I'm having problems installing some packages on my laptop because the installation process tells me to complete a previous install/deinstall before it can continue. This has been tracked to there being a file listed in the pendingfilerenameoperations registry entgry. The entry is to delete \??\c:msimg32.dll - sometimes it is listed multiple times in the same entry.

I delete the entry, but every time I reboot the entry is back in there.

HELP!!! I've no idea why this keeps getting added.

I've run mutiple spyware cleaners, I've fully virus checked. I've cleaned out temp folders. I've done everything I can think to ensure that Vista is running clean, yet this entry keeps appearing.

Any advice?
How can I debug to find where its coming from?
Is there a folder, or registry entry that specifies which installers/deinstallers are to be run on reboot? I'm thinking that this maybe my problem.

cheers
Phil

Speedy Gonzales
09-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Get ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com)

Run it click on the registry tab, scan . Delete whatever comes up

AV and anti-spyware programs wont remove registry entries. If they dont belong to malware

That msimg32.dll looks like it belongs to graphics drivers. Are you trying to install the videocard drivers?

pctek
09-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Installed what packages?

msimg32.dll is the extension component for Windows GDI that contains new APIs to improve the GDI32 functionality.

hairyfil
09-12-2008, 01:20 PM
I've ran ccleaner amongst other things. I'm pretty happy that my PC is "clean"
I'm trying to install cyberpatrol - to keep my son safe from the evil net :-P
I'm certainly not installing and gfx drivers.

I'm assuming there is an install or deinstall that keeps trying to run, but I'll be damned if I can find it. Every time I reboot that registry entry gets another value added - after a while there's a long list of that same file.

I realise that this dll is a component part of windows and is required. That being true why is "something" trying to delete it, and delete it from the root folder of C: too.

Phil

Blam
09-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Are you sure you ran the "registry cleaner" and not the "junk cleaner" in CCleaner?

dyewitness
09-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Use Process Monitor:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Choose only regsitry activity and set a filter for the reg path (or partial path) you're interested in.

bezauk
26-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Hey all,

I got a new laptop about 4 months ago with Vista installed. I've been running Vista on my desktop since it went retail. Now I have hit a problem that I jsut can't get around.

I'm having problems installing some packages on my laptop because the installation process tells me to complete a previous install/deinstall before it can continue. This has been tracked to there being a file listed in the pendingfilerenameoperations registry entgry. The entry is to delete \??\c:msimg32.dll - sometimes it is listed multiple times in the same entry.

I delete the entry, but every time I reboot the entry is back in there.

HELP!!! I've no idea why this keeps getting added.

I've run mutiple spyware cleaners, I've fully virus checked. I've cleaned out temp folders. I've done everything I can think to ensure that Vista is running clean, yet this entry keeps appearing.

Any advice?
How can I debug to find where its coming from?
Is there a folder, or registry entry that specifies which installers/deinstallers are to be run on reboot? I'm thinking that this maybe my problem.

cheers
Phil

hi there ive had the same problem and it drove me around the bend i had no idea what was causing it .is it a acer by any chance ? if so its probley the same problem as mine i booted in safe mode and the problem didnt exist so in normal mode i typed msconfig and stopped all my services exept for the windows ones that you can choose to hide and went through them 1 by 1 ticking 1 and rebooting then typing regedit and seeing if it \??\c:msimg32.dll was there or not i went through this process ticking rebooting cheaking untill i found the cause it was ACER EDATA SECURITY SERVICES as soon as i ticked it and rebooted \??\c:msimg32.dll was there in the pendingfilerenameoperations so i uninstaled the program ACER EDATA SECURITY SERVICES and no more problem i tryed to reinstale it from my disc but still the problem exists so at the moment ive just left it unticked in the service which solves it for me and im going to get in touch with acer asap to c if theres a fix for this takecare hope this helps

pctek
26-02-2009, 01:58 PM
\??\c:msimg32.dll was there in the pendingfilerenameoperations so i uninstaled the program ACER EDATA SECURITY SERVICES and no more problem

i tryed to reinstale it from my disc but still the problem exists
im going to get in touch with acer

You fixed it with the uninstall. But then you made it come back by trying to reinstall? Then don't.

And good luck with ACer. I had the horror of ring them the other day for some poor guy who had bought an ACer - "you are 58 in the queue...."

At the end I was told to log the problem via the net, no he couldn't do it, no he couldn't proceed further on the phone - and when I eventually did and waited 2 days for a response they decided the thing was past warranty and said he'd have to go back to the shop.
Which is overseas.