PDA

View Full Version : Lost administraor in XP Home

micky
09-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Canít log on to user name I tried to get auto logon XP Home after installing NET Framework 2.0 and I deleted my user name so Iíve also lost the Administraor as well so I canít even do a system restore as I have lost, priveleges to restore your system!

I have set up another user name but I can't access my documents and its altered the desktop lost my browser etc

SolMiester
09-12-2008, 11:17 AM
If you delete your old username (login account), its a good chance that the docs went with them.
You could check via docs and settings, to see if there is a folder with your old login name, if so, right click properties>advance and take ownership, you can then move to your new account...
Did you create a new account with admin rights?

micky
09-12-2008, 07:02 PM
I have found my documents old restored them back but can't take ownership
(Did you create a new account with admin rights?) No.

I still can't remove programs or system restore!

mabix
13-12-2008, 09:52 PM
I thought it wasn't possible to delete the Administrator Account?

So therefore you should be able to boot into safe mode and logon as the Administrator?

to take ownership in XP home, you have to start in safe mode and logon as Administrator anyway. If you can't see anyone on the logon screen, Hold down control and alt and press delete twice to bring up a classic logon screen where you should be able to log in as Administrator from there.

jwil1
13-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Try booting into Safe Mode, logging on as Admin there and disable auto logon....

beama
14-12-2008, 03:36 PM
dont have to go into safe mode to access the admin account.

When it displays user details for login screen Press CTRL Alt Del keys at the same time twice, then type in administrator and your the admin password

micky
14-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Sorry guys I found it easier to save all my stuff and reformatted !

beama
14-12-2008, 05:09 PM
well that's one way, good for you

Leendert
01-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I don't know what I've done but I'm THE administrator, I wish to sack the administrator, how do I get back to where I was before I did something stupid. I do not wish to be the administrator

Speedy Gonzales
01-02-2009, 08:53 PM
What do you mean where you were before?

Cant do much if you own the pc, youre admin, whether you like it or not

BigAl_nz
02-02-2009, 02:48 PM
The administrator account in XP Home can only be accessed from SAFE MODE.

wainuitech
02-02-2009, 03:47 PM
The administrator account in XP Home can only be accessed from SAFE MODE. Normally thats true, but you can make it visable so it will show in normal mode as well

Heres How in XP:

Click on Start—>Run type regedit click ok

Navigate the following key from left pane

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserLis t

Add the DWORD value ‘Administrator’ with a value of ‘1′

Reboot and Bingo - 1 Admin Account.

In Vista its even Easier:

1. Go to your Start menu and right-click on the “My Computer” icon.
2. Choosing “Manage” from the list will prompt a User Account Control (UAC).
3. When you are done, the “Computer Management console” will appear. Expand the “Local Users and Groups” option with the use of the arrow next to it and choose “Users” folder.
4. You can now select the “Administrator Account” and go to the “Actions” panel to open “More Actions”.
5. Choose “Properties” to open the “Administrator Properties” dialog box and uncheck the option labeled “Account is Disabled”.
6. When done, click “OK” to confirm changes.
7. The Administrator account will now be present on your log in screen.

Leendert
04-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Before I became the administrator, yes, I own the PC

Leendert
04-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Please let me start again. I use XP Pro. Whatever I did, something stupid no doubt, I am THE administrator and I don't want to be the ADM.
And yes, I own this computer for the last 4 years or so.