PDA

View Full Version : Skype

Bryden
08-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi There -

My friend has recently gone to broadband so she can use Skype to speak with and see her daughter in South Africa. However, she cannot see the person to whom she is speaking - either here in NZ or in South Africa. I can speak with her daughter and see her perfectly..... Any suggestions from the experts please? The technician has just been round to endeavour to fix it - reloaded Skype but no change.

TIA

Bryden

wratterus
08-12-2008, 04:31 PM
In Skype go to tools then options, then video settings.

Make sure you can see the image from the webcam in the right hand side of the window.

Make sure both the 'Enable Skype Video' and 'Start my video automatically when I am in a call' boxes are ticked. Then save the changes.

This needs to be done from both ends.

B.M.
08-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Iíve just been down this road myself and itís a bit of a minefield.

For a start if you can see and speak to South Africa both ways it seems like only your friends computer is causing the problem.

So, what is your friend using by way of transmitting. Like does she have a USB phone or does she use a headset with mike attached, or, does she wish to use microphone and speakers? I ask this because I found my Webcam wouldnít work if I was using the USB phone. I suspect the phone had hijacked the video side somehow. Which in turn may have been caused by the drivers installed with the phone.

Is the sound fine both ways?

Anyway, if Wratterusís suggestion doesnít help letís know the configuration she is wishing to use and Iíll see if itís a path Iíve been down. :)

Bryden
09-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the replies - I will check her settings hopefully today - the voice etc. are fine and I can see her - so her camera is working.... I am suspicious of the amount of RAM she has. Skype says a minimum of 512MB and as this was a cheaper laptop bought about 18+ months ago. I will post another message when I have checked these things.

Bryden
09-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi There

I have checked the settings under Tools/Options and they are as suggested. I also checked Privacy/Advanced Settings in case in error someone had selected not to receive video.

When I checked her RAM it shows 504MB - so guess this equates to 512?

I have sent a request for technical help to Skype, having scoured the Knowledge base and not found any solution.

For sound she is using the built in microphone and speakers I believe....

How do I find out what video card her laptop might have please? I see Skype recommend 16MB....

TIA

Bryden

wratterus
09-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi There

I have checked the settings under Tools/Options and they are as suggested. I also checked Privacy/Advanced Settings in case in error someone had selected not to receive video.

When I checked her RAM it shows 504MB - so guess this equates to 512?

I have sent a request for technical help to Skype, having scoured the Knowledge base and not found any solution.

For sound she is using the built in microphone and speakers I believe....

How do I find out what video card her laptop might have please? I see Skype recommend 16MB....

TIA

Bryden

The lappy will most likely have onboard graphics and it sounds like it only has 8MB allocated to it. (512MB RAM - 8MB allocated for graphics hence XP seeing 504MB)
You need to go into the BIOS to change this setting.

Bryden
09-12-2008, 03:27 PM
If I changed the 8MB allocated for graphics to 16MB (recommended by Skype) is this likely to fix the problem do you know?

The next question is how is this done, or should we get the tech. back again?

TIA

Bryden

wratterus
09-12-2008, 03:36 PM
If I changed the 8MB allocated for graphics to 16MB (recommended by Skype) is this likely to fix the problem do you know?

The next question is how is this done, or should we get the tech. back again?

TIA

Bryden

I don't know if it will fix the problem - probably not, but it's still worth doing. You shoulnd't need a tech to do that, what brand of laptop is it?

Bryden
09-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Not sure the brand - will check tonight.....

Bryden

Bryden
09-12-2008, 04:04 PM
BTW she is on the Clearnet PDQ launch plan - so low entry broadband.... would this have an effect in your view please?

Bryden