PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Registry

dagangsta
06-12-2008, 09:32 PM
My computer is at a alright speed, I am just wondering that if I clean the registry will any thing go wrong with my computer? Will I lose any data?
I did a scan of the registry and found 1552 problems. Like missing or invalid path and Empty keys

Thanks.

GameJunkie
06-12-2008, 09:34 PM
registry cleaners give you the option to back up your registry before deleting any file errors etc which is a good idea. do you have a registry cleaning software on your pc?/

dagangsta
06-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Yes I do, I have Registry Easy.
I have not clicked Repair yet.

Blam
06-12-2008, 09:42 PM
If you don't know what you're doing registry scanners can create more problems than they fix. As gamejunkie said, do a backup of the registry first so if anything goes wrong you can revert back.

If your registry cleaner doesn't offer this option then create a restore point before you run the program or do it within regedit.

Go run>regedit>File>Export>select save location

I suggest you use CCleaner to clean the registry, it is probably the most reliable and effective.

Blam
06-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Registry is Shareware is only free to try and probably doesn't work, like many other fake "System Optimization' utilities out there, I suggest you uninstall it and install CCleaner, which is freeware and proven much better

Cheers
blam:)

GameJunkie
06-12-2008, 09:55 PM
I suggest you uninstall it and install CCleaner, which is freeware and proven much better

Cheers
blam:)

x2

it also gives you the option to clear out temp files and the like
those missing keys and invalid paths are from programs etc that you have installed and uninstalled

Winston001
06-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Yep, CCleaner and also Advanced WindowsCare 2, both are good, free and provide for backups.

Vince
07-12-2008, 03:51 AM
Yep, CCleaner and also Advanced WindowsCare 2, both are good, free and provide for backups.

Advanced Windows Care 2 is now in version 3 and renamed Advanced SystemCare it is great and does backups automatically. It is free and has many other features.

Digby
07-12-2008, 07:17 AM
Some of these programs eg ccleaner (which is good) give you the otpion to clear our your cookies. I suggest that you untick this as you will loose all your forum passwords etc and you will have to re-log in.

Also in Ccleaner untick any Microsoft Office settings or you will lose some of your spreadsheet and database settings. (which is a real pain)

gary67
07-12-2008, 09:14 AM
With ccleaner you can tell it to keep certain cookies and delete those that have no password needs, so it only keeps cookies from sites that you log into. It's under advanced

Blam
07-12-2008, 11:13 AM
And don't tick "Saved Form Data" under FF, it also clears out all your passwords

Digby
07-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Good skills Gary, but you need to go to Advanced and select the cookies before you run CCleaner (I think that is a trap for young players)

gary67
07-12-2008, 11:50 AM
That's true I was in a hurry back when I posted that