PDA

View Full Version : I need technical advice

JJJJJ
06-12-2008, 03:13 PM
I am getting lockups on my comp which are becoming more prevelant. The mouse and keyboard just lock up. The picture remains on screen. Nothing I do will alter it. The only solution is a press button reboot.

When it reboots I find that my bios settings have been changed to default or even below default.
If I leave the settings untouched the lockups still continue

Motherboard is an ASUUS striker ll extreme.
CPU a QX 9650 extreme quad core.

What should I do?
Computer was built by Ascent

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Did you overclock it? If you did, dont

Reset the BIOS settings, then reconfigure them

pctek
06-12-2008, 03:21 PM
I told you before - ring Ascent and ask their tech. I'm suspicious if that board.

Thebananamonkey
06-12-2008, 03:22 PM
If you bought the above components then you should resonably be able to expect to OC. And to OC hard.

How long ago did you build it? I'd have a talk to ascent if I were you.

:drool about the board by the way. and there aren't enough emoticons for that CPU.

qazwsxokmijn
06-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Didn't you mention in another thread you leave it mildly overclocked, and vcore set on auto? Your CPU may be undervolted, and when my E6750 was too undervolted the PC kept locking up too. Leave everything at default/auto except for overclocking.

Thebananamonkey
06-12-2008, 10:39 PM
If you're going to OC, make sure you do it properly, with lots of stress testing. Be conservative with voltages and long stress tests should show you blue-screening. You want to ideally be .125v, or as little as you can be away from unstability at high stresses. If you're going to stick with "auto" settings, then leave everything alone. If you're going to overclock then look for how to do it.

Also, with a QX, you'd be silly not to push it hard. That's what it's built for, and that's what you paid for. Unlocked multipliers just ask to be pushed, otherwise you might as well have saved yourself the money.

There are good stickies in the NZ OC forum here (http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?f=37). They're quite open to questions, but make sure you read all of the articles before asking.

JJJJJ
07-12-2008, 09:22 AM
If you're going to OC, make sure you do it properly, with lots of stress testing. Be conservative with voltages and long stress tests should show you blue-screening. You want to ideally be .125v, or as little as you can be away from unstability at high stresses. If you're going to stick with "auto" settings, then leave everything alone. If you're going to overclock then look for how to do it.

Also, with a QX, you'd be silly not to push it hard. That's what it's built for, and that's what you paid for. Unlocked multipliers just ask to be pushed, otherwise you might as well have saved yourself the money.

There are good stickies in the NZ OC forum here (http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?f=37). They're quite open to questions, but make sure you read all of the articles before asking.

Thank you. At last someone understands what my system is designed for.
It is o'clocked from 3 to3.3. Voltages are OK. I haven't had to touch them.
It will run OK at 3.6. Haven't tried any higher.

Thebananamonkey
07-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I've got a Q6600 that clocks at 2.44Ghz and is currently happily sitting at 3.2Ghz.
It'll go to 3.4Ghz happily and 3.5Ghz with a touch of unstability.

This is a $350 CPU on a $250 MoBo. Yours should be able to handle far more than that.

If you're happy with it sitting at 3.3Ghz then that's fine, but I'd still try to pull the voltages down as far as possible, as much for heat, power efficiency and the life of the chip as for anything else. But make sure you stress test. At least 5hrs, and if possible for a whole day.

A quick google says that people have pushed the CPU to 6Ghz, presumably with liquid nitrogen. It's been pushed to 5Ghz range on air. If you want to push it, it will be happily pushed.

JJJJJ
07-12-2008, 12:52 PM
I know I can get more out of it, but I'm happy with 3.3. I won't touch touch the voltage settings because I don'k know enough them.
I found that at 3.6 temperatures got into the 70's. At 3.3 it never gets out of the low/mid 60's. That seems high enough for me, though the max temp for the cpu is 105. That sounds too scarey for me.

I bought this computer solely for Flight simulatorX and it handles it very well with all settings at max.

The biggest problem I had was to make fsx use all four cores. Now I have all four shareing the load evenly

With a bit of luck it will last till the eight core cpu comes out and Windows 7.

Cicero
07-12-2008, 02:09 PM
I know I can get more out of it, but I'm happy with 3.3. I won't touch touch the voltage settings because I don'k know enough them.
I found that at 3.6 temperatures got into the 70's. At 3.3 it never gets out of the low/mid 60's. That seems high enough for me, though the max temp for the cpu is 105. That sounds too scarey for me.

I bought this computer solely for Flight simulatorX and it handles it very well with all settings at max.

The biggest problem I had was to make fsx use all four cores. Now I have all four shareing the load evenly

With a bit of luck it will last till the eight core cpu comes out and Windows 7.
Wouldn't it be less expensive to buy a 747?

pctek
07-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Hah. Some guy in the US did. At least the cockpit part. He has a large shed and all his FS gera hooked up to it and plays using the real controls.

Thebananamonkey
07-12-2008, 05:20 PM

I suggest that if you don't feel happy to touch the voltage that you shouldn't touch anything at all. If you want to overclock with a relative degree of safety then you shouldn't leave the voltages to fate. That may be why you're freezing.

If you're going to do it, especially with expensive equipment, do it right. Even if you only leave it at 3.3Ghz.