PDA

View Full Version : usb.scan.sys

Poppa John
06-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi All.

Maryann has her computer back but there is one small problem. It keeps asking for the above file.
I have d/l it from Driver Guide & it appears to have installed.
Why then does the computer keep asking for it? Thanks. PJ

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2008, 03:17 PM
What folder did you save it to??

C:\Windows, or C:\windows\I386 if this is XP??

The next time it asked, did you point it to this file in one of these folders?

According to one site, thats where this file goes. Its not on my system tho

What service pack, is on it if its XP?

Poppa John
06-12-2008, 03:44 PM
What folder did you save it to??

C:\Windows, or C:\windows\I386 if this is XP??

The next time it asked, did you point it to this file in one of these folders?

According to one site, thats where this file goes. Its not on my system tho

What service pack, is on it if its XP?

Speedy.
C:\Windows
No.
Computer has SP3 on it, but Error prompt asks for SP2.
Problem is with the Epson scanner.

PJ

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Point it to that folder / file next time. See what happens. Or uninstall the printer drivers.

Then reinstall them

Make sure if the printer is USB install the drivers first. Pull the USB cable out till the install finishes / tells you to plug it in / turn it on

Myth
06-12-2008, 03:56 PM
I would uninstall the scanner from Device Manager, reboot (or right click on the computer name in Device Manager and click on "Scan for hardware changes"), then plug the scanner in and reinstall with the driver disc

You might have to uninstall all USB serial bus controllers, then reboot (or maybe just right click on the computer name in Device Manager and click on "Scan for hardware changes").
Try just uninstalling the scanner first though

Heres some info about it too.. (http://www.file.net/process/usbscan.sys.html)

Poppa John
06-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Speedy...I uninstalled all of the CX3900. Then re-installed it, putting the plug back in when requested. Still no go. What now? PJ

wainuitech
06-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Try going here and have a read (http://www.killertechtips.com/2008/03/28/how-to-restore-missing-usbscansys-in-windows-xp/) there is a link to the usbscan.sys file in the article, or Direct link to download (http://www.usbman.com/WebDrivers/USBScan/USBSCAN.SYS) (right click save as) - According to one article it is meant to be in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers Folder

Just done a search on this XP machine and its in the C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp2.cab Try looking / Aiming or dumping it there

Myth
06-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Correct me if Im wrong... anything in a cab file is just like a zip file, not actually used, but packed into the cab for later extraction.. no?

(I am using experience with 98 and its cab file system.. maybe its changed since then)

Poppa John
06-12-2008, 07:50 PM
OK the latest. I have looked in folder I386 & usbscan is not there..
So I am going to have to d/l it from somewhere.
But..when I do Start...Search...usbscan.sys, it comes on screen as a folder.

So what do I do with it? PJ

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2008, 07:53 PM
You have to show system files. Since its a system file

Or find the file again and right mouse / open containing folder

wainuitech
06-12-2008, 07:53 PM
OK the latest. I have looked in folder I386 & usbscan is not there..
So I am going to have to d/l it from somewhere.In the post #7 I put above where it says " direct Link to Download" Right click it, / save as - and it will come through to where ever you tell it to put it.

Its only a 12Kb file, so it will come through in less than 1-2 seconds.

Poppa John
06-12-2008, 08:04 PM
In the post #7 I put above where it says " direct Link to Download" Right click it, / save as - and it will come through to where ever you tell it to put it.

Its only a 12Kb file, so it will come through in less than 1-2 seconds.

OK it is in My Documents. What do I do with it? PJ

wainuitech
06-12-2008, 08:10 PM
You can try copying it to the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder, then next time the printer ( if I understood correctly) wants the file point it to that folder - see what happens its either going to work or wont. :) or :crying

Edited: what you can also try is click start/run type in sfc /scannow press enter, and let the system scan for any missing or damaged files, you may need your XP CD if it asks for it.

Poppa John
06-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Sorry Folks. Got to give it a rest. I am going round in circles & not getting anywhere. I will try again tomorrow when I am fresh. Thanks. PJ

wainuitech
06-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Okay - take care and have a good rest.

Hope you dont mind me asking PJ - but when you mentioned
Maryann has her computer back but there is one small problem. What was done to the PC, or why was it away ?? That could give a few more clues as to whats gone wrong.

Metla
06-12-2008, 08:58 PM
new (used but more powerful) cpu, Motherboard.

Clean install of XP Home.

Had intended to also bump up the ram and add a video card, but both video cards caused system to crash, and the new ram stick refused to run with the existing stick. Just the usual drama when trying to combine various second hand parts sourced from different places.

Anyway, They run a large amount of gadgets off their computers, Mere teething glitches.

I'll sort em all (they usually have a list :)) next visit, But I give them a bit of space to do it themselves first.

Poppa John
06-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Metla.. We have tried. Our space is now full. Hint. PJ

Metla
06-12-2008, 09:23 PM
A follow up visit is on top of the list, Right behind work 1 trillion hours, spend some time with the family, and mow the lawns.

Right at this very moment I am meant to be cleaning out the shed, But any movement causes stomach cramps and a mad dash to the toilet.

Seems Burger King isn't quality food after all.

They should rename the Outlaw burger to The ring of fire.

Poppa John
06-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Metla...OK. Take care. PJ

Myth
06-12-2008, 10:53 PM
new (used but more powerful) cpu, Motherboard.

Clean install of XP Home.

Had intended to also bump up the ram and add a video card, but both video cards caused system to crash, and the new ram stick refused to run with the existing stick. Just the usual drama when trying to combine various second hand parts sourced from different places.

Anyway, They run a large amount of gadgets off their computers, Mere teething glitches.

I'll sort em all (they usually have a list :)) next visit, But I give them a bit of space to do it themselves first.Yeah I had wondered why you weren't looking into it. Do you need some parts for the build? (sorry have no spare DDR, but may have other parts you can use, most are known to be good, the others (couple of NICs/modems are untested))

Anyway, I was under the assumption that usbscan.sys was a Windows component for scanners, not printers.

Metla
06-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Its probably a combined scanner/printer? I didn't pay much attention.

Anyway, I had the PC for way to long, So will give them a few weeks before I tinker with its internals again. That aside, It should be running many times faster then before I ripped her open and got busy.

wainuitech
07-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Just a few teething problems then eh! At least some " Cowboy" or "Wannabe" wasn't playing with it. Man I hate it when that happens.

Poppa John
07-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Yes it is a multi printer. It is only thr scaner on it that wont work. Also the 2 USBs on the front panel, which we assume is part of the same problem. PJ

wainuitech
07-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Do you mean the two front USB's dont work at all, or have problems sometimes ??

Metla
07-12-2008, 09:50 AM
The two usb ports on the front of the computer?

If so, then no, The problems wont be related, But do me a favour and do not plug any devices into those ports until I have had a look at her.

Poppa John
07-12-2008, 09:52 AM
The two usb ports on the front of the computer?

If so, then no, The problems wont be related, But do me a favour and do not plug any devices into those ports until I have had a look at her.

OK Boss. I will go back outside & carry on painting the front walls. YUK. PJ

Poppa John
14-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi All This problem was also fixed by Metla today. Thanks All. PJ