PDA

View Full Version : DVD drive Terminology I would like explained

tuiruru
06-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Hi

Apologies if these questions seem so basic.

As far as DVD Wrters/Recorders are concerned.....:

1) If one is designated a "Super Multi" drive what does that mean it will do?

2) If one has "Dual Layer Support" does that mean it will write double the data to an ordinary disc or will something else have to be done as well?

3) Lightscribe - do you need s special "Lightscribe" drive or will any drive do as long as you have the appropriate software?

Thanks in anticipation - this is a great forum!

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Super multi usually means it supports DVD/CD/DVD-Ram and lightscribe

If you want to record to dual layer, you need dual layer blanks. Normal DVDs arent dual layer. Theyre single layer.

For lightscribe, you need a DVD burner that says it supports it. It will say lightscribe, on the front of it, if it supports it

And blanks.

You cant use lightscribe on normal cds or DVD's. Theyre specially coated. You need the right blanks for lightscribe

All you need for LS, is something like Nero Coverdesigner (or any cd label program).

And the lightscribe program, from here (www.lightscribe.com)

LS is also B&W, not colour

Wikipedia will have all the info you need to know

GameJunkie
06-12-2008, 10:03 AM
lightscribe is great :D

utopian201
06-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Some drives use labelflash, which is an incompatible alternative to lightscribe.

The discs for labelflash are even rarer (if you want to label the top of the disc like lightscribe), but the advantage is if you have some unused space on the disc, you can burn an image onto the underside of the disc. This works with any disc, and the image appears on the same side as the data. But it does require that the disc not be full. So in this instance, any normal dvd blank can be used.

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2008, 03:29 PM
There is also Securdisc, that comes with some burners now too (LG I think make a burner, with this onboard)

Its meant to protect cd's / dvd's or something. Since it uses passwords / encryption.

So, people cant copy them

Bantu
06-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Lightscribe is nothing great, I print directly onto cd/dvd with my printer and make better looking cd/dvd's.

Dual layer gives you DVD-9 instead of DVD-5. 8.4Gb instead of 4.7Gb on a disk.

Zippity
06-12-2008, 04:49 PM
I couldn't be without my Canon iP4200 Ink Jet Printer which prints directly onto my white imation ink jet discs.

cdcovers.cc is the best archive for most DVD (and CD) labels and display case covers :)

tuiruru
11-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the input guys - that's great!