PDA

View Full Version : chkdsk alternative

tuiruru
05-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi

My Toshiba Satellite M30 is fiour years old and so I'm trying to ensure that the hard drive is still in good nick.

When I've logged into Windows and try to "RUN" CHKDSK with the /F parameter I get the message "Cannot lock current drive. CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another process" It the offers the option to run it at the next start up which I choose. This appears to work, running thru verifying the files, indexes and security descriptors doing the whole 60 gig drive which is 85% full in about 6 minutes. The summary at the end is not on the screen long enough to read the report. No "fixing" seems to be going on which may mean the drive is OK.

So, two questions:
1) What other process could be using the volume preventing CHKDSK from running?

2) Is there a free alternative out there that will do the same job of finding lost clusters, bad blocks etc, maybe even better than CHKDSK?

I'm running Win XP pro SP2

Thanks

John
Waihi

pcuser42
05-12-2008, 12:46 PM
1. You're scanning drive C: I take it? Chkdsk cannot scan the drive with the OS on it while it is running. :)

PENTIUM
05-12-2008, 06:10 PM
You have correctly run chkdsk /f after a reboot. Did you think to hit the 'Pause' key?
There are hard drive test programs that will tell you should the drive be on the way out.
A new hard drive, if it is ever needed, is a probably better use for the money.

linw
06-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Look for the chkdsk log here:-

Go to >
Start > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

click "Application" on the left

In column "Source" on the right half of the window, look for "Winlogon".
On the same row, "Event" matching 1001 is the que pasa on chkdsk.

Doubleclick that line matching both Winlogon and 1001.

If you want to cut time, you can pin the "eventvwr" to the start menu or toss a shortcut on the desktop and save some steps while repeatedly waiting for chkdsk to fix your drive after restarts. However, I think zero
errors are unobtainable.
evenvtwr is found in the System32 folder.

tuiruru
06-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Hi pcuserwinvista (http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/member.php?u=16297)

Yes I am scanning drive C. I've "RUN" COMMAND and done the same thing and got the same message. So how can I run it withiut the OS starting?

Pentium - yep - I've tried the pause button - perhaps my reaction time isn't quick enough!!

pctek
06-12-2008, 09:36 AM
My Toshiba Satellite M30 is fiour years old and so I'm trying to ensure that the hard drive is still in good nick.

Why? If it was failing you'd know about it. Just do regular backups and stop worrying about it.
If you suspect there is a problem, run the HDD manufacturers diagnostic software on it.

pcuser42
06-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi pcuserwinvista (http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/member.php?u=16297)

Yes I am scanning drive C. I've "RUN" COMMAND and done the same thing and got the same message. So how can I run it withiut the OS starting?

Pentium - yep - I've tried the pause button - perhaps my reaction time isn't quick enough!!

IIRC it asks you if you want to do it at next boot. :)

tuiruru
11-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys