PDA

View Full Version : Restore outlook Express by using Citisoft

zillah
05-12-2008, 12:32 AM
I had backed up the outlook express 6 before I formatted the Hard Drive by using Citisoft software as shown in the link below

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/Citisoft-Outlook-Express-Backup.shtml

After I have done fresh installtion , I am trying to restore the backup archive., but when I do restoring I receive this error :

An ERROR has occured. Please close Outlook Express and Internet Explorer if they are running and retry again

But both Outlook Express and Internet Explorer are not running.

I tried google but I could not find something helpful

beama
05-12-2008, 06:36 AM
welcome to Pressf1

what format is the backup files in .If they are .dbx (messages) and wab (address book) there is an alternative method. Post back and let us know.

Btw you don't need a special utility to back up restore these files, it is a very easy copy / paste operation or even use xp ( and maybe vista) files and settings transfer wizard ( I have never tried this though)

zillah
05-12-2008, 09:37 AM
what format is the backup files in .It is in .oef format.

Before formatting the PC , i was not able to access outlook (open) to do the traditional backup by usin wizard, therefore I used this program

beama
05-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Oe doesnt have a export wizard for messages but it does have a import wizard for them... :eek:

but there is a way to get the messages

remember google.
ill check on this file format and see want can be done

beama
06-12-2008, 06:16 PM
are you using unregistered shareware version as I get the same message using the unregistered version
I've got a feeling the the unregistered version may have some functions disabled.

you could email the authors support address but I dont think youll get much of a response unless you are registered user.

good luck

Blam
06-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Next time I suggest you use Amic Email Back-Up (http://www.amictools.com/v-amic_email_backup.html) which is freeware and has no limitations. I think there are others out their but this is the only one I have seen that backs up the address book, settings, mail and news accounts, message rules, blocked senders lists and signatures along with your email.

:)
Blam

P.S As for your current situation it seems you have to buy it to access some features...worst thing is, the file isn't in a universal format so it can't be done from another free program. :s

Edit: Saw another one today called kls mail backup (http://www.kls-soft.com/klsbackup/mailb_index.php), seems quite good:D

zillah
07-12-2008, 11:14 PM
are you using unregistered shareware version as I get the same message using the unregistered version
Yes you can it for tow days with full functionality.

you could email the authors support address but I dont think youll get much of a response unless you are registered user.
I had already done that , but no one replied yet unfortunate

zillah
07-12-2008, 11:14 PM
.worst thing is, the file isn't in a universal format so it can't be done from another free program. :s

Yes you are right.

zillah
11-12-2008, 02:46 PM
For feature reference how can I backup outlook express without using a third party software, and in case where I can not open outlook express (because it gets freezed).

I am looking for an option I can copy some folders and restore them to the fresh Outlook Express (i.e new installation)

beama
11-12-2008, 03:57 PM
For feature reference how can I backup outlook express without using a third party software, and in case where I can not open outlook express (because it gets freezed).

I am looking for an option I can copy some folders and restore them to the fresh Outlook Express (i.e new installation)

Im not going to reinvent the wheel, here (http://www.iopus.com/guides/oe-backup.htm) are the instructions ah google my friend

zillah
11-12-2008, 04:10 PM
are the instructions ah google my friend
Thanks beama, I came accross the link that you have posted, but I found it little bit critical because you are going to play with registery.

I thought it might be other way to do a backup (because there are many ways for backup).

beama
11-12-2008, 07:24 PM
I thought it might be other way to do a backup (because there are many ways for backup).

settings you can export from within outlook express don't need to go anywhere near the registry for that one look in the accounts area theres an export / import function there.

rules I would just recreate or backup using pen and paper ;)

address book search for *wab on the primary/main user or user responsible for email user login name when found copy it

For the emails and attachments search for and copy *.dbx in the same user or copy the path from the maintenance area (method in that link)
copy those files to a usb drive then when ready paste back the folder to /username/My Docs ( thats where I put them ) then go to maintenance area again click on the button and navigate to the folder you just pasted restart oe and presto there are

Import address book select the wab file you saved "file...import"
Import settings using function within accounts area "import button"
recreate rules

you may have to repeat this for every user on that pc who uses email on their own user account

now wheres that wheel :lol:

zillah
13-12-2008, 09:14 AM
in the accounts area theres an export / import function there.

But in my case I could not access those options.

beama
13-12-2008, 01:58 PM
But in my case I could not access those options.

why?

But anyway its only 5 minute job to set up an account

zillah
13-12-2008, 11:17 PM
why?But anyway its only 5 minute job to set up an account
Ok I did not tell the whole story, before formatting the PC, I had problem with outlook express, the problme I was not able to access my OE's account, it got freezed whenever I tried to open it (i.e I could not click any menu bar options).

I spent two days trying to repair it, with no success, then I had one option left is to use a third party option which I had mentioned in my early thread (citisoft utility), but my mistake I had not checked the restoration bu using the same software to find out if it does work or not.

Now suppose I faced same problem in future, how can I backup outlook express without using third party software, do we have such an option (copy folder and paste it ) which is similar to thunderbird ?

In thunderbird what we do to do a backup just copy the folder
C:\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Application Data\Thunderbird
and Save this folder.

zillah
13-12-2008, 11:20 PM
The reason I am saying if there is such an option (copy and paste data folder ot address folder or attchment folder,,,,etc) , because in this case we do not need to access outlook express specially in my case I could not able to access it at all

mabix
13-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi there Zillah

I use the same software (Citisoft Outlook Express Backup), and I have the registered version, so would you like to email me your backup and I'll see if I can extract it for you?

zillah
13-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks mabix for your help and support

The size of file is 1.4 GB and it is for one of my client and for privacy reason I can not do that

mabix
13-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Oh gotcha.

Well, I did get that error once from what I can remember:

have you tried re installing the product?

What versions of IE and OE are you running?

zillah
13-12-2008, 11:45 PM
have you tried re installing the product?

Yes I did try that.

What versions of IE and OE are you running?
OE version 6 and IE version 7

mabix
13-12-2008, 11:48 PM
And I take it that these were the same versions that were on the computer before it was reformatted?

Have you tried importing the backup on a different computer? If not, it sounds like there's a chance that the backup is corrupt. I'm still fairly sure you need the registered version, however.

And to answer your question about a way to backup without using third party software, I suggest you look at this site:

http://www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml

mabix
13-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Something else, make sure that copy the backup file to the local hard drive before you try to commense a recovery

zillah
13-12-2008, 11:56 PM
And I take it that these were the same versions that were on the computer before it was reformatted?

OE yes, but IE I am not sure I forgot.

Have you tried importing the backup on a different computer? If not, it sounds like there's a chance that the backup is corrupt.

I tried to restor it on the same PC after formatting it.

And to answer your question about a way to backup without using third party software, I suggest you look at this site:

This site assumes that you would be able to access your Outlook Express, but my case was different, I could not access the outlook express, that means I could not choose any options that have mentioned in the link you have mentioned

zillah
13-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Something else, make sure that copy the backup file to the local hard drive before you try to commense a recovery
Yes I did

mabix
14-12-2008, 12:03 AM
A few things to remember here:

http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm

All of your OE mail folders and messages, local IMAP and Hotmail folders and messages, and all of your subscribed newsgroups and messages are stored in one folder called the store root, or store root folder, or store folder, and in at least one place in OE, the Store root directory. It's default location is

C:\Windows\Application Data\Outlook Express\{GUID}
or
C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

where {GUID} is the Global Unique IDentifier (technical jargon for a unique long number) used to specify an Identity. Depending on your operating system and upgrade history, your store folder might be located elsewhere. To determine the location of your store, click Tools| Options| Maintenance| Store folder

When doing a backup, always ensure that you can restore before you go ahead. I learned this the hard way, losing over 300GB of data. Make sure, at least, that you verify your backups with an MD5 checksum or something of the like. (Do it twice)

The fact that OE wasn't working could have lead to a broken backup.. though that's highly unlikely.

mabix
14-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Try Creating a different Identity, and only restoring one part (E.g. Only restore the contacts to a Identity called Test29)

Safari
14-12-2008, 12:05 AM
This is a good site for OE Problems, Tips and Tools
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/

mabix
14-12-2008, 12:21 AM
bad news- after doing some research, it's probably likely that the files were corrupted to start with, and therefore, cannot be restored. That would be the reason Outlook Express wouldn't start.

Say Sorry to the Client, looks like they won't be getting their Emails back. Unless a miracle worker like Speedy or Wainuitech can come along and help you :)

Sorry I couldn't be anymore help to you~

zillah
14-12-2008, 12:44 AM
The fact that OE wasn't working could have lead to a broken backup.. though that's highly unlikely.
I am afraid from that.

zillah
14-12-2008, 12:49 AM
I will try to get client permission and upload the 1.4 GB for you and please give it a try with your registered version and see how it will go