PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Repair - CONFIG SYSTEM

Strommer
04-12-2008, 08:23 AM
When starting WinXP, this error message appears:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair.... original CD...

I inserted the orignal XP CD and now am at the C\WINDOWS prompt.
I can get the list of options from HELP, but do not know what to choose.

Where is the Repair option?

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
04-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Did you reboot and boot from the cd?

Not run it from within windows

Make a batch file from the info here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545)

Did you press R to get to the recovery console?

Strommer
04-12-2008, 08:35 AM
So far, I found this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

Do I really have to enter all of these command lines??!

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

# Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

Strommer
04-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Speedy, yes I booted from the original XP CD

Speedy Gonzales
04-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Like it says under it do it on another computer save it as a batch file then run it from the recovery console

Strommer
04-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Make a batch file from the info here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545)

Did you press R to get to the recovery console?

Yes I pressed R.

LOL, we cross posted with the same MS page. Ugggh, it looks like I DO have to enter all of those command lines. Correct?

Strommer
04-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Like it says under it do it on another computer save it as a batch file then run it from the recovery console

Well, I do not understand what "save it as a batch file" means. Hopefully the MS page will explain what this means.

I am using a laptop in the same room as my desktop - the one with the problem.

Speedy Gonzales
04-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Well you must be on another computer, since youre here.

Copy those commands then save it as it says with a name.. regcopy1.txt

Then somehow (does this PC have a floppy)?? There must be some way OF running it after.

What it means is all those commands (you copy all of it ie: this)

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Then paste it into notepad, go to save as give it a name as it says regcopy1.txt

And hopefully you've got a floppy, on this desktop or something (if recovery console can cd to a floppy or whatever), then all you do is cd to it, then to run that batch file you type batch regcopy1.txt to run the commands above so it does its thing, (the main thing is it saves you typing the lines above)

Strommer
04-12-2008, 08:43 AM
OK, found the MS instructions but do not understand it:

----------------------------
If you have access to another computer, to save time, you can copy the text in step five, and then create a text file called "Regcopy1.txt" (for example). To use this file, run the following command when you start in Recovery Console:
batch regcopy1.txt
With the batch command in Recovery Console, you can process all the commands in a text file sequentially. When you use the batch command, you do not have to manually type as many commands.
----------------------

I could create the text file on this laptop but how do I then transfer it to the desktop? Surely a USB stick cannot be used...

Strommer
04-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Copy those commands then save it as it says with a name.. batch regcopy1.txt

Then somehow (does this PC have a floppy)?? There must be some way OF running it after.

The floppy drive is kaput - stopped working a couple of years ago and since I no longer use floppies I have not bothered to fix it.

Its strange that the MS instruction page does not say how to copy the text file commands to the corrupt pc, but that's typical MS I guess!

Looks like I will have to enter each line manually. :groan:

Strommer
04-12-2008, 08:49 AM
There is another CD drive. Could the text file be put on a CD and copied? How would I do this using the Command Line? Its like DOS to me, which is a challenge.

[edit] I see now:
"To use this file, run the following command when you start in Recovery Console:
batch regcopy1.txt"

... but how does the pc know to look in the CD drive for the txt file?

CYaBro
04-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Before doing any of that, why not try:

chkdsk /r

Speedy Gonzales
04-12-2008, 08:50 AM
If youre at the recovery console now, put the USB stick in.. Find whatever commands to see what does what. And see if it picks the USB stick up

Strommer
04-12-2008, 08:57 AM
If youre at the recovery console now, put the USB stick in.. Find whatever commands to see what does what. And see if it picks the USB stick up

OK, will try it, but I do not see any of the commands here that would pick up the USB stick:

attrib del fixboot more set
batch delete fixmbr mkdir systemroot
bootcfg dir format more type
cd disable help net
chdir diskpart listsvc rd
chkdsk enable logon ren
cls exit map rename
copy expand md rmdir

Strommer
04-12-2008, 08:59 AM
BTW, I did try typing "md tmp", which is the first command line, but it did not get recognized. I still have the C:\WINDOWS prompt, and cannot get out of it.

Speedy Gonzales
04-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Try Cyabro's trick first. See what that does

Strommer
04-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Before doing any of that, why not try:

chkdsk /r

OK will try...

wainuitech
04-12-2008, 09:00 AM
There is another way but it requires downloading a file, 250Mb and making a Bootable CD - If you have the time its well worth it as this CD can get you out of the crap with LOTS of problems.

You need a working XP computer, a copy of XP & a Blank CD.
Once made - Boot from the CD, and you get a windows interface then work through The menu (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/UBCD1228334373.jpg) and restore.

The file is UBCD4Win (http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm) - I use this almost every other day - had a PC here yesterday with the exact same problem while the person went and got a cuppa I fixed the PC in less than 5 minutes. Sometimes the typing in those commands dont work.

If you want to do it this way - I have written full instructions on how to make the bootable cd - just say and I'll post them back here.

Strommer
04-12-2008, 09:41 AM
CYbro - It took a long time for chkdsk /r to complete but Windows has started! The DOS report said that one or more errors were found and fixed. Ohh - there still seems to be something wrong. XP keeps rebooting by itself; I have not changed the BIOS so that the CD drive is not accessed first but I doubt if this would make a difference.

If you want to do it this way - I have written full instructions on how to make the bootable cd - just say and I'll post them back here.

Yes please - thanks. Even though Windows has started, there have been problems (have had to reboot to get XP working properly so generally leave the pc in Standby mode).

I am downloading UBCD now. I think I have an old copy of
UBCD but it would be at least 2 years old, maybe much older.

---------------------

I do have Acronis installed, with drive images on a separate partition and an external drive and on DVDs. It looks like I may have to get Acronis to install the latest image, although I have never tried this before.

------------

Changed BIOS to boot from HD as normal but %#$%@!X# XP keeps rebooting. Suggestions?

Strommer
04-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Cannot get it into Safe Mode. When I press F8 I get this prompt:
"Please select the boot device:"

Wainui - looks like I will have to use UBCD.

wainuitech
04-12-2008, 10:17 AM
OK heres how to create it - go to the site I posted above, download - just checked it out, mirror 8 is working reasonably fast today or Click here (http://www.filecluster.com/download-link-0/78959.html) for direct download.

------------------------------------------------------
FULL Instructions - on the working PC, turn off any antivirus and antispyware - some of the components are seen as infections from the install.exe - they aren’t its just the way it works, any antivirus may damage the install and stop it from working. ( it is Harmless)

On the working PC, put the XP CD in the drive, open My Computer / Explore / on the CD, locate the I386 Folder, Copy / Paste it to the C: Drive. Remove the XP CD once finished.

Install the UBCD4Win .exe on the working PC - follow the instructions as it goes, use default settings - While its installing it will ask for verification to make sure its installed correctly - select yes - when it asks for the update patch select YES - it will check if there is any and advice..

Once installed it will say run the program ( box ticked) select yes - it may pop under the current open box so check. Agree to any prompts/ Licenses etc.

Next it will ask to search for the windows install files - select YES - it will search and locate the I386 folder you have copied before.

Make sure there is a Blank CD in the drive

Once it locates the I386 folder, select it - select Burn to CD/DVD

Click Build - You may get a message saying folder doesn’t exist - select YES to make the folder it wants - you will see a LOT of files being copied and a lot of activity - touch nothing - it will burn the CD - may take 5-10 minutes.

IF for some reason it doesn’t burn the CD (this does happen on slower PC’s sometimes ) - Open the program from the desktop ( new Icon there) this time select create ISO image. Then using your Image burning software create a CD from the image in the install folder, usually on C:\ that UBCD4Win made previous.

Once CD is made - boot from the CD
--------------------------------------------------------
Once made - read post 14 on further details post from Yesterday (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=95279&page=2)

Edited: IF you need a ISO burning program that s easy to use, I came across BurnCDCC (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-free-software.htm) - second one down.

SolMiester
04-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Meh...I would be looking for a new drive.......$10 says it will corrupt again within a month....

Strommer
04-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Wainui - thanks, will do later today.

SolMiester - the Seagate 120 Gb is 4 or 5 years old so it could very well need replacing. I think Seagate has a free drive test program for download so I may try it.

SolMiester
04-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Wainui - thanks, will do later today.

SolMiester - the Seagate 120 Gb is 4 or 5 years old so it could very well need replacing. I think Seagate has a free drive test program for download so I may try it.

My sister had the same issues with the damn O/S corrupting all the time, I must of done a repair\rebuild 4 times...she lives in the sticks too, so in the end I told her to get a new drive or a wouldnt rebuild it again....

exact same issue.....your drive is buggered mate...save yourself some time and stress.

wainuitech
04-12-2008, 11:05 AM
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM error doesn't always mean a drive is faulty - hell I have had that error on a Brand new drive, or drives less than 6 months old.

My own Media Center did the turtle a while back with that error - drive is about 4 months old - it was upgraded from a lower capacity drive. Same thing on a workshop PC, around a year ago it went turtle- fixed and never had a repeat problem since.

SolMiester
04-12-2008, 11:14 AM
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM error doesn't always mean a drive is faulty - hell I have had that error on a Brand new drive, or drives less than 6 months old.

My own Media Center did the turtle a while back with that error - drive is about 4 months old - it was upgraded from a lower capacity drive. Same thing on a workshop PC, around a year ago it went turtle- fixed and never had a repeat problem since.

However, since the drive is 4-5 years old, had corrections after a check disc, I would say 80% in confidence that the drive is about to go south......

Yes, it does happen randomly, however usually about an update or system OC'ing....or just bad user use as in bad shutdown....

Strommer
04-12-2008, 12:11 PM
However, since the drive is 4-5 years old, had corrections after a check disc, I would say 80% in confidence that the drive is about to go south......

Yes, it does happen randomly, however usually about an update or system OC'ing....or just bad user use as in bad shutdown....

I did an Avast program update, rebooted and then had the problems; but no Windows XP update. The problems seem to have started several months ago when I installed Comodo...

Anyhow, here is the present situation:

I have not created the UBDCD yet since I cannot get the CD burner to work on this old laptop. :annoyed: Yeah, its one of those days. And I cannot find the old UBDCD that I made - it is not in the "emergency pc box" - maybe I loaned it out to someone. :dogeye:

So I booted the pc using an Acronis boot CD. It worked - got into my Acronis .tib files and restored System32/config files. Then rebooted and guess what, the pc still reboots automatically (about half a minute after WinXP desktop shows - I can click on a few files and open them but it reboots). Still cannot get into Safemode, although after restoring the config files from Acronis, the DOS boot screen gave me that option since the (BIOS?) recognized a system change was made.

I press F8 to get Safemode. Also tried F10, but all I get is the option to change the boot sequence priority. Is there another way to get into Safemode? I may be clutching at straws but I thought a virus scan would be in order (have done these regularly and nothing of significance is ever found).

Solmiester you may be correct about the HD and if I have to get a new HD it will be a pleasure to get a BIG drive since they are so cheap now.

BTW, when I first tried to restore the CONFIG file from Acronis, it would not restore - Acronis said it was corrupt.

Sol and Wainui - if a pc reboots automatically, is this an indication that the HD needs replacing?

wainuitech
04-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Sol and Wainui - if a pc reboots automatically, is this an indication that the HD needs replacing? Not the answer you want - But sometimes it means the Software is corrupted and causing a reboot, other times it could be a fault on the drive or it could be a combination of both.

Sometimes if the software is corrupted badly, that will also stop you going into safe mode.

What happens when you try to get into safe mode ? _ does it simply refuse to bring up the Screen with the options ?

If you can get to the options screen - try safe mode with command prompt.

IF its able to load that - type in C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe , <Press Enter> system restore should open and you can run it back a few days.

Strommer
04-12-2008, 02:14 PM
What happens when you try to get into safe mode ? _ does it simply refuse to bring up the Screen with the options ?

When pressing F8, instead of Safe Mode Options (or the options that include choosing Safe Mode, what appears is only the option to change the boot sequence priority.

I guess I have nothing to lose by using Acronis to restore other parts of System32, or all of sys32, or all of Windows. I am going to have to use Acronis if I get a new hd; I have a number of Acronis images, not just the most recent one(s) that may have corrupted Windows files.

Should I still try UBDCD? I can get a CD made by transferring the file from this laptop to USB stick and taking it to a friend's pc.

wainuitech
04-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Should I still try UBDCD? I can get a CD made by transferring the file from this laptop to USB stick and taking it to a friend's pc. Isn't going to hurt.

Strommer
04-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Tried an old Linux CD, Knoppix.
Booted OK and ran well. Maybe this indicates the hd is OK?

Will try UBDCD later...

SolMiester
04-12-2008, 03:38 PM

Will try UBDCD later...

You run a fix against the drive.....?, no?...1 month, i give it.....

wainuitech
04-12-2008, 04:49 PM

Will try UBDCD later... Not always - as the linux live CD runs from the CD, not the HDD - you can read the drive from a Live CD, but you can also run the CD with no HDD at all.

If a drive is suspect - better to replace it, they are cheap enough these days.

Strommer
04-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Not always - as the linux live CD runs from the CD, not the HDD - you can read the drive from a Live CD, but you can also run the CD with no HDD at all.

If a drive is suspect - better to replace it, they are cheap enough these days.

Yep, I will replace the hd, in fact I have been waiting for an excuse to get another hd...

What I meant about Linux was that I could access files, but OK I know what both of you mean about Linux running off the CD and not the hd.

Have a meeting to go to now. Tomorrow I will probably fiddle with Acronis images to see what happens. If I can get XP to work for a few days before the new hd arrives, all the better.

beama
05-12-2008, 06:50 AM
running linux from a live a live cd does not indicate a good hard drive. But linux live cd will often read a drive that windows refuses to making it a good recovery tool.

Im agreeing with SolMiester on this one based on the history of the drive as outlined here, its age is showing and while you can recover data and replace it

Strommer
05-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Can I use a SATA-II hd? My ASUS mb does accept SATA - its 4 or 5 years old.
Anything else I should be aware of?

I am looking at a Seagate with a decent warranty, e.g.

http://c1com.co.nz/shop/step1.php?number=12280 (but only 1 yr warranty)

http://pcpacific.net/product_info.php?products_id=3095

Sweep
05-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Seagate Hard drives have a five year warranty which is why I use them in all systems I build.

Speedy Gonzales
05-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Can I use a SATA-II hd? My ASUS mb does accept SATA - its 4 or 5 years old.

If your system doesnt support SATA 2, the SATA 2 hdd needs to be jumpered to SATA 1.

Before you can use it. Otherwise your system may not detect it. And you wont be able to use it

Strommer
05-12-2008, 09:18 AM
If your system doesnt support SATA 2, the SATA 2 hdd needs to be jumpered to SATA 1.

Before you can use it. Otherwise your system may not detect it. And you wont be able to use it

I am not sure what you mean by "needs to be jumpered to SATA 1."

Do you mean that I can use any SATA-2 hd even though my mb will not support it, because there is a provision on the SATA-2 hd for a SATA-1 to be connected?

Speedy Gonzales
05-12-2008, 09:21 AM
SATA 2 hdds are backward compatible with SATA 1.

There's a jumper or something on SATA 2 hdd's.

It needs to be jumpered, or changed to SATA 150 (this maybe written on the SATA 2), before you can use it on a SATA 1 system

Have a read of this (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/27/3)

Do you know what mobo you've got?

Strommer
05-12-2008, 09:45 AM
SATA 2 hdds are backward compatible with SATA 1.

There's a jumper or something on SATA 2 hdd's.

It needs to be jumpered, or changed to SATA 150 (this maybe written on the SATA 2), before you can use it on a SATA 1 system

Have a read of this (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/27/3)

Do you know what mobo you've got?

The mb is an ASUS P4P800

It would be good if I could use a SATA-2 so that I can use it when I upgrade my system.

Thanks for the Tom's Hardware article. The "150 - 300 ports" terminology is a bit much for me to comprehend but most of the article is OK.

Speedy Gonzales
05-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Ah the mobo I used to have, till it died lol

It'll work on that, but at 150 (SATA 1 speed) not 300 (SATA 2 speed).

Which is why the SATA 2 hdd's have a SATA 150 option.

Strommer
05-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Ah the mobo I used to have, till it died lol

It'll work on that, but at 150 (SATA 1 speed) not 300 (SATA 2 speed).

Which is why the SATA 2 hdd's have a SATA 150 option.

I have been told that the P4P800 was a very good mb. I found specs for it and notice it supports booting from a USB device which seems an advanced feature for when it was new.

Is there a limit to the size of hd this board will recognize? Not that I want to get a 1T hd, but just wondering. I could not see any hd size limitations on the review of the mobo.

I am going for this hd, a Seagate 500 Gb with 5 yr warranty:
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360606

Speedy Gonzales
05-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Should be fine with any size hdd

I would update the BIOS to 1019, if you haven't flashed it to the latest revision tho

Strommer
10-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Speedy, wainuitech, SolMiester, et. al.,

Here is an update, and some questions:

Either Ascent or the couriers buggered up my order. I ordered the hd on Thursday and it took until this afternoon to get the new hard drive (a 500 Gb Seagate). Had to get Ascent to put a trace on it; they said it was shipped on Friday but the courier trace said it was picked up yesterday.

I installed the new hd, booted, and neither the new hd or the secondary hd were detected :waughh:. I then opened the case and made sure the connections on the hd's and mb were secure even though it all looked OK, rebooted and :thumbs: both hd's were detected.

BTW, I did not have to remove the tiny plastic jumper on the new hd. The instructions (on the hd itself and on the page that Speedy referred me to) were to remove the plastic jumper to get a higher rate of transfer (I assume this is when a SATA-2 mobo is present).

Booted from an Acronis boot disk and partitioned the new hd (similar to the old hd that I removed). NTFS, Primary, so I could boot from it. So far, so good.

Booted again from the Acronis boot disk and started to RESTORE all of C drive which is on an external hd. In effect, I am simply putting C drive back on the smaller partition - like I had with the old hd that I removed. So far, so good.

Unfortunately, the RESTORE process is not going well. It is stuck on "20 hours remaining", sometimes 19, or 21 hours. The red light on the front of the case is flickering which I assume indicates something is happening on the hd, and the Acronis screen is not frozen. I am not sure why it is taking so long but maybe because the .tib files are on the external hd which has a slow USB connection. Over a year ago I restored C drive using Acronis and it was quite fast, maybe 10 minutes, but that was from one internal hd to another. I sure hope it will not actually take 20 hours!

The slow restore process could be due to the fact that the old C drive (.tib image) is from a 20 Gb partition and I am putting it onto the new hd partition of 30 Gb and resizing is taking place. BTW, if I cannot restore from the .tib file on the external hd, I do have other images located on DVD's.

Questions:

1. From the BIOS, I noticed that it states: "Primary IDE Master (and Slave) Not Detected". It also had the new 500 GB hd as the 4th IDE Master and the old 80 Gb back up hd as the 3rd IDE Master. I am not sure what this all means. Do I need to configure the new hd (which will have WinXP on C drive) as the Primary Master? Maybe it is because I unplugged the floppy ribbon cable (the floppy does not work and I do not use it)?

Should be fine with any size hdd

I would update the BIOS to 1019, if you haven't flashed it to the latest revision tho

2. Once I get Windows running, I will update the BIOS but how exactly is this done? Do I download something off the Seagate site and run it as a boot CD?

Speedy Gonzales
10-12-2008, 07:56 PM
No you get the BIOS update from the Asus site <- direct link (http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4p800/P4P81019.zip)

Then unzip it. Hopefully you've got a USB flash drive (it needs to be bootable with system files). So, you can boot from it (change it to the bootdisk in the BIOS).

You have to put the above BIOS update, and the program to flash it with <-- direct link (http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/AFUDOS226.zip) on the flash drive first.

You have to be careful with SATA hdds (if youre using a molex / sata adapter). Molex arent that great, and the pins can lose contact - no contact no boot).

Which is why I brought a PSU with SATA power plugs on it. More reliable. And less chance of pins losing contact

I would do a clean install of Windows, and then connect the old hdd as a slave if its IDE. Then copy docs etc (not programs, it probably wont work, if you copy programs that have been installed already across to the new hdd).

SATA's are only Master (not slave).

wainuitech
10-12-2008, 08:12 PM
I would do a clean install of Windows, and then connect the old hdd as a slave if its IDE. x2 from what Speedy said - makes a nice clean start, then you reinstall the programs you need / want, transfer the data across. all done - basically a new fresh install of windows.

Strommer
10-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks Speedy. BIOS = mobo, not hd - of course, duh!

Whenever I get a new PSU, I'll make sure it has SATA power plugs on it.

The old 80 Gb (backup) hd is SATA.

You say "connect the old hdd as a slave"... I believe that on the mobo the hd sockets/connectors are marked SATA1 and SATA2, or HD1 and HD2, so maybe I have these reversed. Yes, this is a noob question: What I am unsure of is if it makes any difference where the primary hd (C drive, the one I will boot from) is connected on the hd?

A clean install of XP may *have* to be done but I want to avoid it if at all possible. Reinstalling all of my programs will take days or weeks - a major pain in the butt. That's why I got Acronis - for a quick restore of Windows, programs and data - I have done it before and it worked perfectly (although it was on the same hd).

Speedy Gonzales
10-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Ah ok.

In that case, if the old hdd is SATA, just connect it to another SATA connector. It wont be slave then, it maybe called 1st / 2nd / 3rd / 4th master, in the BIOS.

Neither of the SATA drives will be under primary or secondary (these are for IDE hdd's / or IDE cd's / dvd's)

Since both hdd's are SATA, all you have to do, is make sure, the new hdd is the bootdisk after, you reinstall windows on it (if youre going to reinstall windows). Then it'll boot from it

WHAT are the colours of the SATA ports on the mobo again? On some mobos, this makes a difference. As the different coloured ports are for different SATA devices (hdd / dvds etc, or hdds in RAID)

Strommer
10-12-2008, 09:09 PM
WHAT are the colours of the SATA ports on the mobo again? On some mobos, this makes a difference. As the different coloured ports are for different SATA devices (hdd / dvds etc, or hdds in RAID)

I gave up on Acronis and am reinstalling windows - will format the new hd first to get rid of any Acronis files on it. Once WinXP is running, I will install Acronis and go for an image restore; I really want to avoid reinstalling all programs as I have heaps and the last time I did a complete reinstall it took about two weeks.

I have a side panel removed and using a torch the SATA ports on the mobo both look black or maybe dark gray, marked SATA1 and SATA2.

Egad I do not like installing :annoyed: windows. Got to the "Press F8 if you Agree with the license" and pressing F8 did nothing at all. Trying again...

Speedy Gonzales
10-12-2008, 09:16 PM
I would make an updated ISO with Nlite for Windows and its updates.

If you've never done this. It'll make things alot easier (and probably faster).

After you've reinstalled Windows next time (if you ever have to)

And it probably wont take so long, installing the programs after

Strommer
11-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi Speedy,

Something is not right...

The new hd is detected at times, but other times it is not detected. I have tried swapping the leads from the mobo to each hd but this does not help.

Last night the F8 key did nothing during the XP install ("press F8 to Agree with license"), so this morning I bought a new keyboard (I now recall that I had to use another keyboard the last time I installed XP). Now F8 works for the Agree, but "an error" was detected on the new hd and the install was stopped. The "error" could be due to a ***** XP install using another disk (don't ask) that I tried last night which did not install properly ("A file is missing..."). Now when I try to Delete the partition I made on the new hd, Windows states that it cannot be done and when I return to the setup page it says that "Setup cannot access this disk."

I did try removing the small plastic jumper on the new hd - it is still detected but makes no difference during Setup.

Is there some way the new hd can be erased/formatted so I can do a fresh install of Windows?

Could the troubles be with the PS (it is a Hyena and I know some PF1ers trash these), or mobo?

I do have space on the Freeagent external drive to do a fresh XP install but I do not know if it is possible to use a USB external hd to boot from. I only have 9 Gb remaining on the old 80 Gb hd - unless I can remove some data using Linux or another method, I do not think there is enough room to do an XP install on this hd (if I were to partition it). My thinking is if I get WinXP installed _anywhere_, it will be easier to deal with the new hd (format it and then do another XP install on it).

Strommer
12-12-2008, 07:42 AM
I now think the problem was due to corrupt WinXP files. Here is an update:

Used Acronis to extract data from the old 80 G back up hd, to external hd.

Did a fresh install of WinXP.

Installed Acronis and restored WinXP using a .tib image from 6 months ago that I knew was safe and stabe. Restored perfectly and runs fine.

Downloaded SeaTools from Seagate site. The problematical hd (120 Gb) so far checks out OK although one of the "long" tests has not finished yet. Either the Seagate diagnostic tool has missed something, or the original problem I have had with WinXP automatically rebooting was due to corrupt XP files or a virus.

I have not yet connected the new 500 Gb hd. Will do later today. Hopefully can get it formatted and will restore an Acronis WinXP image on it.

Yesterday I suspected a faulty PS. There have been no erratic symptoms since restoring WinXP using Acronis. Possibly there was a loose mobo power cable which is now OK.

Strommer
12-12-2008, 08:34 AM
I would make an updated ISO with Nlite for Windows and its updates.

If you've never done this. It'll make things alot easier (and probably faster).

After you've reinstalled Windows next time (if you ever have to)

And it probably wont take so long, installing the programs after

Link for Nlite: http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

From the site: Have you ever wanted to remove Windows components like Media Player, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, MSN Explorer, Messenger...
How about not even to install them with Windows? nLite is a tool for pre-installation Windows configuration and component removal at your choice. Optional bootable image ready for burning on media or testing in virtual machines.