PDA

View Full Version : Issues installing GTA4

Growler
03-12-2008, 11:15 PM
I have spent the last three hours trying to install GTA4 on the PC.
I put the first disc in and it gets so far and the PC restarts.
Sometimes I get to the second disc and it restarts.
I have tried installing in safe mode and almost got to the end of the second disc and the PC restarted again.
Now this is the second "Games for Windows" game that has done that.
The first one was Gears of War (And I still haven't managed to install that one).
COD5, Farcry and Crysis: Warhead all installed with no issues at all.
Any ideas as this is getting rather frustrating.

autechre
04-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Specs of your PC? OS, CPU, RAM etc. GTA4 needs a hefty PC to run ok.

I would check the RAM first of all, run MemTest (http://www.memtest.org/) and see what it comes up with.
Check your hard drive for any errors too.

Growler
04-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Specs of your PC? OS, CPU, RAM etc. GTA4 needs a hefty PC to run ok.

I would check the RAM first of all, run MemTest (http://www.memtest.org/) and see what it comes up with.
Check your hard drive for any errors too.

Yeah sorry...should have thought of that.
CPU: E6600 Core 2
Ram: 4Gb Corsair Ram
Graphics Card: 8800GTS (512mb)

It runs Crysis, Farcry2 with no issues at all.

pctek
04-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Its crap. Son got a BSOD last night after installing SP3.
Ages later, with me on the other end of the phone he got it rebuilt.

I've passed it to a friend to remove the MS requirements. He's so far got it installed on a SP1 PC............

I object to the necessity if you have no intentions of playing online. Why Rockstar thought teaming up with MS was a good idea beats me.

MAC_H8ER
04-12-2008, 10:18 AM
i managed to install it and play it last night

after activating it

then it needed dotnetfx 3

then the updater needed an update

then i needed to make an account just so i could save the bloody game (this made me rage)

but after sifting through the 2 hours of crap i managed to play it!

rockstar said that they were takign steps to make it simple to play and install - so they go and put 4 tonnes of red tape and activation crap in the way that you have to sift through

they blame piracy that killing the PC gaming industry - but if i have to put that much effort and homework into playing a bloody game then the 360 and PS3 are starting to look rather good

i never thought id say that :groan:

EDIT: also the fact im on woosh eliminates the fact of playing online - so why do i have to sign in to another account i have to remember the password for just to save the OFFLINE game im playing?

whats the bet its also cut out and edited like the other versions because some soccer mum complained that her glue sniffing wonder child might see it >_<

SolMiester
04-12-2008, 10:26 AM

after activating it

then i needed to make an account just so i could save the bloody game (this made me rage)

rockstar said that they were takign steps to make it simple to play and install - so they go and put 4 tonnes of red tape and activation crap in the way that you have to sift through

they blame piracy that killing the PC gaming industry - but if i have to put that much effort and homework into playing a bloody game then the 360 and PS3 are starting to look rather good

EDIT: also the fact im on woosh eliminates the fact of playing online - so why do i have to sign in to another account i have to remember the password for just to save the OFFLINE game im playing?

whats the bet its also cut out and edited like the other versions because some soccer mum complained that her glue sniffing wonder child might see it >_<

LOL, got a point there mate...

CYaBro
04-12-2008, 10:26 AM

after activating it

So you have to have an active internet connection to save a game :confused: :eek:
What if I want to play it over the christmas break at the beach where there is no phone let alone internet connection?

MAC_H8ER
04-12-2008, 10:45 AM
So you have to have an active internet connection to save a game :confused: :eek:
What if I want to play it over the christmas break at the beach where there is no phone let alone internet connection?

yeah it looks like it UNLESS it lets you sign in offline - i bloody hope it lets you as a LOT of people will be spitting tacks

the fact that you have to sign into the "rockstar social games club" to play the game and save it really REALLY annoys me - another propetary peice of gunk i have to have running to play a game - its damn near as bad as steam :stare:

all i want to do is put the dvd in the drive double click the shortcut and start the bloody game :sleep

im going to give it a good thrashing and see if i can get around the crap tonight :stare:

Q man
04-12-2008, 11:50 AM
You can skip the login to social club and play single player offline just don't expect to save.
But thats the least of peoples problems most the people I know can't even get into social club because the MMA10 error.
Then theres is saving online with windows live that crashes the game.
Not to mention can't change resolution from 800x600 and worse than crysis frame rates.

Lots of people unhappy!!!

MAC_H8ER
04-12-2008, 12:01 PM
yeah - all i want to do is save the bloody game without the crap!

rockstar could have made a brilliant game on the consoles into an even better game on the PC but they have filled it so full of red tape

i dont want to "sign in" to anything - sure i will sign in if i wasnted to play online but i want to play offline so i should be able to bypass the social club crap completley as i have activated my cd key!

wratterus
04-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah, its bloody stupid. And they wonder why PC game sales are plummetting.

I find that making an .iso and installing from that seems to work better, although I havn't got this particular game to try it with.

MAC_H8ER
04-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Yeah, its bloody stupid. And they wonder why PC game sales are plummetting.

I find that making an .iso and installing from that seems to work better, although I havn't got this particular game to try it with.

yeah i made the DVD's into ISO's - it installs a lot quicker - but then you lose the time turning them into iso's in the first place so :xmouth:

im ok with it needing the DVD in the drive

im ok with it needing activated

anything more is just plain stupid and annoying

Growler
04-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Ummm...but this doesn't help me with my issue.
I can't even install the bloody thing!

MAC_H8ER
04-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Ummm...but this doesn't help me with my issue.
I can't even install the bloody thing!

you mention that it restarts during the install?

does it flash a BSOD at you quickly before restarting?

Growler
04-12-2008, 06:02 PM
you mention that it restarts during the install?

does it flash a BSOD at you quickly before restarting?
Unfortunately it doesn't. It seems to hang and then just restart - however I now have it installed ready to go.
I still don't know what the issue was but I think every time I installed it and it crashed, it left files in the folder it was installing to.
Eventually it installed all of the files.
Still...this is a weird one.