PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drives

Airbinx
03-12-2008, 06:38 PM
I have recently returned from the US with a 500 GB 'Fabrix Simpletech' external hard Drive. The problem with it is that my Laptop will not recognize it. I am running 'Vista,' sorry to say, and wonder if this might be the problem. In addition, being from the US the drive was built for their 120 volt power supply. Although I do have a step up transformer, can the drive be operated using the NZ 230-240v power supply. I have yet to connect it to the desk top which is on 'XP'
Thankyou

gary67
03-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Yes a step up should be fine I run UK power tools which I have to step down to 110V. If it doesn't recognise in the case take it out and plug into your motherboard direct as a slave. Or try mounting it from a live linux CD

feersumendjinn
03-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Think you mean a step-down transformer, 240v AC to 110/120v AC, like these
http://search.dse.co.nz/search?w=stepdown+transformer&site=&sessionid=4936205102d21b122740c0a87f3b0651&asug=step
Does it have a power adapter with the drive, and if there's a label on the adapter what does it say? (some adapters can auto-adjust to different input voltage ('universal input', e.g. AC 110-240v); you may need a travel plug adapter from 2pin to 3pin.
Something else to consider, our mains frequency is 50hz and US is 60Hz.

linw
03-12-2008, 07:45 PM
What possible reason is there for suggesting that Vista could be responsible for not seeing an external drive??

Bit confusing with the voltage reference. I presume you are running it from a step down (not up) transformer? There's no way we can know whether the drive can be run from 230V. I wouldn't try it unless you can track this info down from the manufacturer. Our AC is 50Hz and US AC is 60Hz - probably doesn't matter but it can have consequences.

Presumably this is connected via USB? Is there any sign at all that Vista has seen a USB device connected? Like does it make a sound on connection and disconnection? (Use another working USB device to check the sounds if you are unclear).

Does disk manager see it? (Rt click from desktop Computer/Manage/Disk Management).

gary67
03-12-2008, 07:47 PM
What possible reason is there for suggesting that Vista could be responsible for not seeing an external drive??

Bit confusing with the voltage reference. I presume you are running it from a step down (not up) transformer? There's no way we can know whether the drive can be run from 230V. I wouldn't try it unless you can track this info down from the manufacturer. Our AC is 50Hz and US AC is 60Hz - probably doesn't matter but it can have consequences.

Presumably this is connected via USB? Is there any sign at all that Vista has seen a USB device connected? Like does it make a sound on connection and disconnection? (Use another working USB device to check the sounds if you are unclear).

Does disk manager see it? (Rt click from desktop Computer/Manage/Disk Management).

Surely it won't recognise it if it's not been powered up yet?

linw
04-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Well, yes, but I did say I presumed it had been tried with his step down transformer! I gave him the credit for not trying it without power - perhaps I was wrong.

Airbinx
05-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Sorry, you are all correct regarding the up/down aspect of the transformer, I stepped the power down from 230v to 110v. The unit has a power adapter, a plug pin adapter and is connected via a USB. I have tried contacting the manufactures with no response at present. When I originally tried the thing, connected to the transformer and to the computer, the light on the unit was on but as noted by one of the replies, no sign or sound came from the computer and no indication on the disc manager, that's why I suspected Vista - not a fan of Vista. Will continue and thanks for your responses. Cheers

linw
05-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Make sure the USB port works with something else.

Make sure the USB plug seats fully home - I have had problems with my front sockets being recessed behind the case front panel.

If it still can't be seen, I have run out of ideas!

Good luck.