PDA

View Full Version : Add/Remove program issue (BIG issue)

HomerJayK
03-12-2008, 10:35 AM
G'day, I made a bit of an error and now I don't know how to fix it and I would own anyone a chocolate fish won can help me!
What I did was stupidly uninstall "Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional" and thinking that I would not be able to fine the re-install package I thought I would roll my system back to a restore point before the uninstall. This worked in as far as I have the icon back and can open the program but I have no functionality eg. I can't print to pdf from other programs any more.
There is an error that comes up on boot up (the exact wording escapes me at the moment) that says something is wrong with this program would you like to start the installer in repair mode? Clicking either Yes or No has no effect that I can see. If I don't do anything for a bit or do something else, from time to time the installer will try and start but it just flashes for a bit and them goes away only to repeat the process in 10 or so mins.
If I try and start the installer from with-in Add/Remove Programs I get this error message. "This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package"
I have also tried, having found the original software, reinstalling the program from the original set-up file but I get the same message. Any help would be a great help! Even if it means just being able to uninstall the program completely, as I could take it from their.

Thanks again in advance and thank for reading such a long post.

DaveK.

wainuitech
03-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Welcome to PF1 - The first thing I would try is go back to system Restore, and reverse the restore you did - what has happened is some of the programs files have been restored, but not all - BUT it appears to be caught between uninstalling because certain files are not there and reinstalling for the same reason.

Once you Undo the restore, check to make sure its not in add/remove programs, then try reinstalling the program. Hopefully it will have put the system back to the state of when you uninstalled the program, and allow a reinstall.

Edited:
Once you have rolled back the system - you can also try downloading Ccleaner from my sig, select Registry / Scan for issues, and run / delete any left over keys it finds.

DeSade
03-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Why can't you reinstall from CD or call Adobe for a replacement CD?

Ofthesea
03-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Why can't you reinstall from CD or call Adobe for a replacement CD?

Well because Wainuitech's suggestion is the easiest and ensures everything is configured just how it used to be. Anything else is Plan-B or Plan-C

pctek
03-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Leave it uninstalled and install Foxit instead.

DeSade
03-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Well because Wainuitech's suggestion is the easiest and ensures everything is configured just how it used to be. Anything else is Plan-B or Plan-C

Or its pirated software and he doesn't have the disks.

wainuitech
03-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Or its pirated software and he doesn't have the disks. Did you read the original post fully - Last paragraph
I have also tried, having found the original software, reinstalling the program from the original set-up file but I get the same message. Any help would be a great help! Even if it means just being able to uninstall the program completely, as I could take it from their.

Pcteks suggestion is prob better anyway :thumbs: - Foxit (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php) doesn't have the Bloat that Adobe does.

DeSade
03-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Did you read the original post fully - Last paragraph

Obviously not carefully enough
Apologies and please disregard.

wainuitech
03-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Obviously not carefully enough
Apologies and please disregard. ;) No worries - its Wednesday :dogeye: good enough excuse :thumbs:

gary67
03-12-2008, 07:45 PM
and for a PDF printer use Bullzip PDF act's just like a printer except makes a PDF and it's free I use it and Foxit reader

HomerJayK
09-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the replies,
Rolling back the system to the original uninstall state was my first thought and that is what I did but I got the message that goes something like "their were no system changes so undo did nothing" (obviously not in those words).
I have definitely thought about using a different PDF printer but my main concern is that I have half of a program on my computer which "Secunia Personal Software Inspector" is telling me is a threat and I can't do anything about it. Not to mention the little windows installer box that keeps popping up from time to time. I can only assume it's related as it doesn't actually tell me what it's trying to install.
I may run a registry cleaner to see if that helps but if parts of the program are installed probably I would think that that would be enough to make it not be picked up as a problem.
Comments/suggestions?

Sweep
09-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Did you read the original post fully - Last paragraph

Pcteks suggestion is prob better anyway :thumbs: - Foxit (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php) doesn't have the Bloat that Adobe does.

The original poster said:-
"What I did was stupidly uninstall "Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional" and thinking that I would not be able to fine the re-install package I thought I would roll my system back to a restore point before the uninstall. This worked in as far as I have the icon back and can open the program but I have no functionality eg. I can't print to pdf from other programs any more."

This, to me, means that the OP would have the ability to create *.pdf files using the PRO version Adobe. Foxit is only a reader with no way to create a PDF file as far as I know.

The original software makes no mention of the media involved as well.

HomerJayK
09-12-2008, 02:27 PM
thank again, i think I have solved the problem with Adobe, I haven't reinstalled it yet but we'll see. what I did was use a download off download.com called uninstall plus and that seems to have gotten rid of everything, hopefully. The windows installer box did pop up again once and I seem to have a different problem altogether, which is probably better being posted on another blog, but for all of you who are intrested I have now lost 90% of the programs listed under the "all programs" box. They all still seam to be there but just not in that list, I'll have to see if their is a way to refresh that list or something. In the mean time I might just run my suit of PC fix's and see what turns up. wish me luck.

Thanks again. This is a very useful site and I will keep posted and give advice where I can. DaveK.