PDA

View Full Version : ISP in Central Auckland CBD for VoIP - Exchange = Overloaded :(

Chilling_Silence
03-12-2008, 10:15 AM
This is being asked on the VoIP Users List and PressF1 at the same time, its quite a doozy...

Anyways, so the company Ive been working for has been setting up VoIP. We've got an asterisk box, running behind a Linksys AM300 in halfbridge to a pfSense router (Was m0n0wall but the traffic shaping in pfSense looked better).

So pfSense gives me the ability to prioritize stuff, in this case we've prioritized our IAX2 traffic in / out. We can see that the QoS is catching the VoIP calls because of the "queue overview / graphs" that the router offers.

So, at times while there's no other traffic on the line (There's also a traffic monitor function), pings out suddenly start going from 45-55ms to around 300-700ms. Whats worse is the jitter is horrible, bouncing up and down and all over the show.

Ive increased the jitter levels on each IAX2 line, and you can see things falling to pieces when you run iax2 show netstats from the asterisk console also :(

We discovered the problem wasnt specifically our setup when we learned that the people on the other end of the phone said the call quality was fine, whereas we heard breakups, squelching etc. So we figured the upload packets must be QoS'd pretty well..

So, we're with Telstra, after much annoyance it turns out they send a fault off to 3rd level who accept it, they assign it to Telecom, Telecom are now getting Alcatel involved to upgrade the exchange.
Having run a couple of VoIP connections via DSL before, Ive helped somebody get setup with 15 phone calls on a single DSL line reliably in Avondale. Yet we cant even get a single call working well here?

So, Fibre's rather expensive, UNS isnt terribly much better. Im currently wondering about Woosh, because they dont peer with the local DSL exchange. ISDN is probably less than ideal (Another $110 a month just for 128k). Surely this isnt the only business that's trying to do VoIP over DSL in the Auckland CBD at the moment?

Firstly, I guess Im asking if there's anybody else out there who's doing VoIP over DSL in the CBD, who your ISP is, and what kind of results you've had with it lately?
To be honest, Im half wondering if its *just* Telstra? Surely everybody else in AK cant be having this bad a time with VoIP?

Any assistance / advice / thoughts / comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Chill.

pctek
03-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Well I tried it here when I first setup and it wouldn't work at all.
That was Xnets.
Gave up and got a real phone.

Chilling_Silence
03-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Yeah Ive had fun with Xnet too... its not the ITSP in this case thats the issue, and I *know* I can make it work well, Ive pumped 15 calls down a single DSL connection succesfully, reliably, day in and day out ... :)

Gobe1
03-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Thats VOIP for you, no guarrantee of quality
We have been thinking about going with VOIP to save costs but i am leaning to staying with what is working at this stage
Cant beat a real phone line for reliability

Chilling_Silence
03-12-2008, 01:22 PM
You're not wrong.. it takes a *lot* to get a good quality, solid & reliable VoIP setup... but its possible, and can save a *ton* of $$ :D