PDA

View Full Version : HP laptop battery self discharge even when powered off !

davidjohnclark
03-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi
I bought an HP laptop recently from DSE - model DV5-1005Tx.
Overall I'm happy with it, but for one thing...
The notebook's battery discharges even when the computer is completely shutdown.
It loses about 6% of charge per day!
After a week of non-use, the battery charge has gone from 100% to about 60%. This is really annoying!

If I take the battery out, it loses less than 1% per day. (which is fine)
Before you ask, yes, I'm sure I'm performing a shutdown, not a sleep or hibernate.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Is the laptop broken? Is it possible to control if certain peripheries (like LAN) are powered even when the computer is off and 'shutdown'? There doesn't seem anyway to access the bios settings. It is running Vista Home Premium (factory installed)

Thanks for any help,
Dave
(david john clark (one word) at gmail.com )

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Is SP1 on it?

SolMiester
03-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Is the laptop still under warranty, this should always be your 1st port of call....Check battery drain with HP.....

wratterus
03-12-2008, 09:41 AM
BIOS is normally F10 on those laptops.

It's not unusual to lose a little bit - with a new lappy 1% or 2% per 24 hours wouldn't be unusual. But 6% is far too much.

I'd give HP Customer Care a call and ask them about it. Does it seem to make any difference if you plug/unplug peripherals when the lappy is turned off?

FoxyMX
03-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Is SP1 on it?

Why would that make a difference when the issue is with the laptop turned off?

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Pass, something to say

davidjohnclark
03-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi
Thanks for your replies.
Yes, Vista SP1 installed.
I haven't contacted HP yet, because I wasn't sure what is 'normal'. It is still under warrantee, which is good :)
I don't want to give it to HP (for some unknown length of time) if it turns out to be something I can fix with a configuration setting or something.

I've gone into the BIOS, but the settings there are very basic... not to the detail of setting power options or enabling/disabling peripherals etc.

Cheers
Dave

FoxyMX
03-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Pass, something to say

To get your post count up, you mean? :D :D :D

Dave, a similar question came up on here not too long ago if you want to have a search for it. It had some good suggestions if I remember correctly.

Edit: try here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=89502).

davidjohnclark
03-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi FoxyMX.
Yes, thanks, I'd already seen that post. Unfortunately, the 'solution' seemed to be to take the battery out when not in use. This is not a great work-around. If the laptop is actually faulty, I'd prefer it to be fixed.
Dave

Burnzee
03-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi DavidJohnClark

An issue with Microsoft Windows Vista Bluetooth implementation could cause Bluetooth malfunction and/or system instability (hang/blue screen). In order to resolve the issue the Bluetooth "Selective Suspend" option in the driver was disabled. The disabling of selective suspend may cause a loss of up to 30 min of battery life.

Don't know if this is the cause of your problem but the above is a quote from Hp's - help and support. To read more and to fix, goto HERE (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00897555&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&rule=4524&product=3756657).

Hope this helps

BURNZEE

davidjohnclark
03-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi Burnzee.
Wow, thanks for that link. I'll follow up on that. I don't think it is directly related to my issue (which is a 'power off' issue), but I'll investigate.
Dave

pcuser7895
03-12-2008, 08:44 PM
a mysterious process is running without your notice
is being run when you turn it off, it is so mysterious that it can turn itself off
after a few days

B52
03-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Hello David,

from what I've read in your post, I strongly suspect that you have a defective battery. Since that it's under warranty you should ask HP for a replacement. Of all the laptops I've used over the years, (2 of them Hp's) none of them have had unsolvable battery drain problems.

If the replacement battery experiences the same fault, then it's the laptop. Sorry.

davidjohnclark
19-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi All
Just an update on my battery self-discharge problem:
I contacted hp support using www.hp.com/esupport and entered into an online chat session with someone (in india i guess :).
Anyway, the dude recommended several updates, so I went to HP's support site and downloaded and installed a BIOS update, and about 7 others that seemed even slightly relevant.
It seems to have worked!
After 3 days with the power off, the battery has only discharged from 100 to 97%, which is within 'my tolerance' level.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Have a merry xmas.
Dave