PDA

View Full Version : gotomypc or Logmein for remote access

sroby
01-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi there.
I want to 'link' 2 PC's: work & home office PC's , so that files can be copied & pasted easily from one PC to the other (for a novice PC user) & emails acessed
on the remote PC.

Of Gotomypc or Logmein, which is the better option;for a non PC savy user.
Also, do these 2 programs need statics IP's setup (I'm presuming not)
I know that these programs arnt free for commercial use

RDC (& the freeware VPN/VNC's) dont allow copy & paste between PC's so I cant use them.

Speedy Gonzales
01-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I take it work knows that youre doing this?? if youre not the boss?

Depends what kind of files youre talking about, they'll have to be the install files for whatever.

Since I doubt if youre trying to copy something thats already installed, thats its going to work

SolMiester
01-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi there.
I want to 'link' 2 PC's: work & home office PC's , so that files can be copied & pasted easily from one PC to the other (for a novice PC user) & emails acessed
on the remote PC.

Of Gotomypc or Logmein, which is the better option;for a non PC savy user.
Also, do these 2 programs need statics IP's setup (I'm presuming not)
I know that these programs arnt free for commercial use

RDC (& the freeware VPN/VNC's) dont allow copy & paste between PC's so I cant use them.

You can use RDC for pasting, you just have to map the client drives before making the connection....start run>mstsc>options>local resources tab>more button and select the drives you want to show up on the remote PC...once connected, in explorer you will see the client drives listed as C: on (client pcname)

MushHead
01-12-2008, 11:16 AM
You could try Hamachi - made by the LogMeIn crowd. This is a VPN (Virtual Private Network) tool that supports creating links through firewalls as LogMeIn does. Doesn't require static IP - just a unique ID shared on each machine at the time connection is made.

Might be simpler for file transfers than LogMeIn once set up, as once connected, the 2 machines will appear to be on the same LAN, so all the standard Windows operations will be supported.

sroby
01-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the responses

more info.....
I was looking into it for someone else.
only 2 pc's involved his work & his home PC's

The files he will want to copy from one PC to other are docs(word excel)
RDC will need static IP (for easy use), thats one reason I was thinking of
logmein/gotomypc

I'll try the RDC copy & paste, if its not going to be dead simple for the user
then its prohably a nogo (chances are the other PC is WinHome so may not have this option)

wainuitech
01-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Try Team Viewer (http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx) - the full install version, NOT quick Support.

You have it running on one PC, it gives you a user name and you preselect your own password, then on the home PC ( or vise versa) you have the same program log in from other PC (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Team_Viewer1.jpg) ( I have blanked out my address) you then get a pass word prompt, then you will see the other desktop and you can do Your file transfers (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/File_transfer.jpg) - check Email etc, just like sitting in front of the PC - may be a slight bit of Lag, but nothing bad.

PS: no static IP is needed as Team Viewer has its own ID / login address.

Chilling_Silence
01-12-2008, 01:00 PM
+1 for Team Viewer!

And no, you dont need a static IP for RDC or VNC, try no-ip.com :)

Also, TightVNC supports File Transfers

Lastly, VNC with Hamachi would possibly be the easiest solution IMO ;)

Let us know how you get on

Cheers

Chill.

Blam
01-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I'd have to recommend TeamViewer too, I've had pretty good experiences with it.

linw
01-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Wainui, to get it straight, are you recommending the full version is run on both machines or does the machine you want to control just get the QS ver?

If the former, what do you lose with the QS on the controlled machine?