PDA

View Full Version : Helping an overseas friend

aidanmaz
01-12-2008, 10:18 AM
My friend in the USA was given a Dell Demension 2400, which he wiped and reinstalled XP onto it. He isnt very computer wise, and he cant get his Verzion wireless to work, he plugs the USB wireless in, and installs the software and inputs all the right passwords, but he cannot get an IP from the router, even tho he has perfect reception, and even with a static IP he still cant get online, He is running XP SP1a - wud upgrading the service pack fix the issue?

SolMiester
01-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Yes.....I think SP2 has some added Wireless functionality...however, he has to work out, if all hardware has drivers, no exclamation marks under device driver, make sure he has right encryption selected, ie: WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc, correct password and router isnt filtering MAC addy's

aidanmaz
01-12-2008, 10:30 AM
yes there are a few drivers missing (video and sound) but we can get them from Dell when he gets the net on the machine

pctek
01-12-2008, 03:18 PM
You should get the chipset driver - I wouldn't rely on WIndows having decided what to use.

aidanmaz
01-12-2008, 03:49 PM
i wudnt think any of this is relevant, since the wireless connects, just doesnt get an IP or is able to browse the net with a Static IP

SolMiester
01-12-2008, 04:24 PM
You could input a static addy if you want, however you will need to input the DNS servers automaticallly

aidanmaz
01-12-2008, 04:28 PM
tried a static IP, and manually added the default gateway and primary dns, his household uses the 192.168.1.0 address range, with the router being 192.168.1.1, his other computer gets a DHCP lease, but it is not on wireless like his one. This is where i get perplexed. If it was a driver or chipset issue then the wireless wudnt work at all

linw
01-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Can he ping the router?

aidanmaz
01-12-2008, 11:13 PM
not sure..... will check.

WarNox
02-12-2008, 11:30 AM
What security is the wireless using? If its using WPA or something more secure and the wireless card is old it might only support WEP. Try turning the security off for a little bit and test the connection then.

If you're inputing static IP's put the default gateway ip (192.168.0.1) and the primary DNS server as the same thing. Even without the DNS setting you should be able to ping the router though (unless the windows firewall is blocking it).

If all else fails, use another machine to get the NIC (network card) driver from the Dell website and then use a wired connection to the router to get onto the internet. That way you eliminate wireless issues.

Well good luck and let me know how it goes :)

Gregor

aidanmaz
02-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Both router and wireless card use and support WPA2. Both were supplied by his ISP. Unfortunately, it wud have been easy to do wired but due to the "lording parents" it has to be wireless, as he is upstairs..... So im kinda stuck abit. The annoying thing, is that he doesnt have usb memory sticks so transferring files is fairly difficult.