PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem : Router or PC

sarel
01-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Hi guys

Since Friday night I can't access the internet from my PC - there does not seem to be a connection between the PC and the router. I changed the cabling over, rebooted the router millions of times, to no avail. It also means I can't read my email. I also started to get a message that my system detected another LAN and asks whether I want to join it. I tried to restore my settings to Friday's but discovered I had System Restore disabled.

The router is online though, because SWMBO can surf quite nicely on the wireless part

XP, 1.7ghz. D-Link G604T router. Should I reinstall the router or is it a b*ggerup on my PC?

Any ideas from anybody?

sarel

pctek
01-12-2008, 09:42 AM
What do you mean by reinstall the router?

You have got it connected via ethernet cable?
When you do an ipconfig what does it show?

And can you ping google?

sarel
01-12-2008, 10:04 AM
What do you mean by reinstall the router? Run through the whole installation routine again.
You have got it connected via ethernet cable? Yes
When you do an ipconfig what does it show? Haven't done it yet - will do it later today, but I can't access the router webpage (10.1.1.1) - sez page can not be found.
And can you ping google - haven't pinged it but it can't load anything, including Google.
sarel

pctek
01-12-2008, 10:11 AM
After you do the ipconfig, from your command window, and making sure it comes back with 10.1.1.1 as Gateway,ping the router.

ping 10.1.1.1

Then ping www.google.com from within this window too.

If it doesn't see the router at all, troubleshoot the NIC itself before bothering with pings.

You using IE or Firefox? If IE then try accessing the router with firefox.

Presumably you have done the usual malware scans?

As your GF can get to the net, then there is no need to alter the router settings. It shows the problem is at your PC, not the router.

MushHead
01-12-2008, 11:09 AM
You've got good wireless security enabled, right? If your NIC is working OK, it almost sounds like someone is running a DHCP server that you can "see" from your PC via the WiFi connection, hence the "new LAN found" message.

sarel
01-12-2008, 01:08 PM
After you do the ipconfig, from your command window, and making sure it comes back with 10.1.1.1 as Gateway,ping the router. Pinging router - just get the black screen and nothing happens
ping 10.1.1.1 - I get message "Destination Host Unreachable"[I]
Then ping www.google.com from within this window too. [I]same as above
If it doesn't see the router at all, troubleshoot the NIC itself before bothering with pings. What should I do then?
You using IE or Firefox? If IE then try accessing the router with firefox. Tried IE - no difference, same as FF
Presumably you have done the usual malware scans? Yup, with Nod and Malwarebytes and SuperASW and two more
As your GF can get to the net, then there is no need to alter the router settings. It shows the problem is at your PC, not the router.
You've got good wireless security enabled, right? Yup

How do I troubleshoot NIC (and what is NIC)?

sarel

sarel
01-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Oh I forgot to say the AV and Spyware scans came back clean

sarel

sarel
02-12-2008, 07:46 AM
The latest : checked last night and saw that my network connections (on my PC) are connected - both the LAN and 1394 connections). This tells me the problem is somewhere else then, not NIC.

And then, through my ordeals trying to get going, all of a sudden I had everything back. Very happy I went downstairs to get coffee, only to see SWMBO has just switched on her lappie and therefore it seems to me the lappie is controlling the PC's internet status (wirelessly?). Or there is a setting on my PC that enable the Internet connection only when the lappie is going? Is this possible? Or am I just dreaming? Where and how should I check?

sarel

sarel
02-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Or can it be a corrupted TCP/IP?

sarel

pctek
02-12-2008, 09:15 AM
If you can't see the router - then the NIC is the problem. Whether thats hardware or software is another thing.

What does device manager show? The NIC is showing OK, not ! or ? anyway?

Try a PCI NIC and see if that makes any difference.

sarel
02-12-2008, 01:42 PM
OK Pctek - haven't checked Device Manager, will do it tonight.

What is a PCI NIC - sorry for the dumb question?

sarel

Myth
02-12-2008, 03:33 PM
NIC - Network interface card - where you plug the ethernet cable into on your computer.
Seeing as how you are local, if you want a network card to swap out with; do you remember where I am? PM me if not. If this keeps going I might check things out this weekend if you want

Have you tried pinging localhost?

ping 127.0.0.1 (or ping localhost)

sarel
03-12-2008, 07:41 AM
OK now. I've checked everything. Nothing in my device manager seems not to be working. Everything looked OK - from the 1394 Net adapter, NVidia NForce Network controller, NVidia GForce 6150 LE, nVidia Network something enumerator - all seems ok.

A difference though - last night SWMBO fired up the lappie and I ran upstairs only to discover no frickin internet. B*gger.

Myth, I may just take you up on that. Pinging localhost - "Destination Host Unreachable"

sarel

MushHead
03-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Sarel,

You haven't posted the results of "ipconfig" yet - either when you're connected or otherwise (both would be good - if you get a connection again...). Did you get something like this?

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : localhost.localdomain
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.30
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

??

sarel
03-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Ipconfig says b*ggerall - just a brief black screen, no messages.

sarel

MushHead
03-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Did you run it from a command prompt? Sounds like you used Start->Run

sarel
03-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Both. Start -- run and Cmd propmpt. Will redo both tonight just to make sure.

sarel

sarel
04-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Righto, ran all the cmds off cmd prompt (again) and lo and behold, some answers:
ping 10.1.1.1 - Destaination Host Unreachable
ping 127.0.0.1 - Packets sent 4 received 4 loss 0
ipconfig :
Connection-specific DNZ suffix : nothing (blank)
IP address : 169.254.226.221
Subnet mask : 255.255.0.0
Default gateway : nothing (blank)

sarel

linw
04-12-2008, 01:22 PM
That ipconfig display shows you haven't got a proper IP no. The 169.254... is assigned by Windows if no other no. is supplied.

You aren't getting a no. assigned by a DHCP server so try adding a static address to the NIC.

IP no. 10.1.1.20 (say)
Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.1.1.1
DNS I would use your ISP's DNS server address but you could start with 10.1.1.1

This will get you onto your network's subnet and you should then see some better results.

Setting IP no.

To set up your static IP address:

1. Click the Start button, and select Control Panel.
2. Click the Network and Internet Connections link.
3. Click the Network Connections link.
4. Right-click the Local Area Connection icon, and select Properties.
5. Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP.
6. Click the Properties button.
7. Select the Use the Following IP Address option.
8. In the IP Address text box, type your IP address.
9. In the Subnet Mask text box, type your subnet mask.
e.g. 255.255.255.0
10. In the Default Gateway text box, type your default gateway.
e.g.10.1.1.1
11. Select the Use the Following DNS Server Addresses option.
Preferably set to ISP DNS server addresses

Myth
07-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Re: sarels computer.. all fixed, and sarel has been shown what to do in the event of it happening again :)

berryb
08-12-2008, 12:11 AM
So what was the issue? DHCP, NIC, IP address conflict, spyware etc??

So other can learn :)

Myth
08-12-2008, 06:13 AM
When Xtra went down, for some reason the router and PC lost connection to each other as well. PC then defaulted to 169.254.xx.xx ip